Question Just curious about the Raffles (answered)

I think it was because of a recent raffle that got out of hand..

It got really messy and out of control...

The seller was trying to make a charitable contribution but made profit off of it as well...so technically, all proceeds were not going to charity...First 40 tickets sold went to the seller, all other tickets sold past 40 went to the charitable foundation

you can read the mess here

http://www.therpf.com/f13/win-tmp-ironman-armor-costume-only-25-usd-raffel-charity-91890/

Just curious why Raffles are no longer allowed.

Like Charity Auctions and Silent Auctions (all of which are prohibited), raffles are simply too prone to misunderstandings and abuse. Is the TMP raffle the reason for the change in policy? Yes and no. It alerted us to the fact that we had left raffles off the list and they are just as prone to problems as charity auctions and silent auctions. We aren't saying raffles are evil, but they are more trouble than they are worth and this is simply not the venue for them as we are not willing to directly oversee each member's raffle to ensure it is handled appropriately on every level.

I believe that Paypal actually has the same policy, they don't allow raffles to be held using it's payment method due to issues with claims, disputes, charge-back's etc so it's against their rules.

Ya know...good riddance to the damnable things. How does anyone know the person holding the raffle is honest with the number drawn?

Several conventions no longer allow paid or charity raffles either, all for the same reasons.

I believe that Paypal actually has the same policy, they don't allow raffles to be held using it's payment method due to issues with claims, disputes, charge-back's etc so it's against their rules.

Well, its been a learning proccess, not a nice one, but learning. To ensure that there was no doubt about the draw i did that on video to prove that it was fairly drawn. I hope nobody tries to put doubt in my honesty and intentions, but rather look at this from perspective. I can also se from perspective and later knowlege se its to many IF to a raffle and can cause allot of speculations. But its also important to differ from specuations and accusations / insinuations.

But the Raffle raised allot of money that went to charity, that i is great. Ad for so i wish to thank everybody that contributed.

I will in future if i do, rather hold a sale and give away of my free will leaving out charity.

I do not apologize for my raffle, or its intentions. It was done in the best intention possible done. I do apologize that it caused so much negative and of focus of the cause and for me loosing my temper in the end based on the unjust insinuating accusations.

Well, its been a learning proccess, not a nice one, but learning. To ensure that there was no doubt about the draw i did that on video to prove that it was fairly drawn. I hope nobody tries to put doubt in my honesty and intentions, but rather look at this from perspective. I can also se from perspective and later knowlege se its to many IF to a raffle and can cause allot of speculations. But its also important to differ from specuations and accusations / insinuations.

But the Raffle raised allot of money that went to charity, that i is great. Ad for so i wish to thank everybody that contributed.

I will in future if i do, rather hold a sale and give away of my free will leaving out charity.

I do not apologize for my raffle, or its intentions. It was done in the best intention possible done. I do apologize that it caused so much negative and of focus of the cause and for me loosing my temper in the end based on the unjust insinuating accusations.
Were some of those "accusations" accurate though? Did you not recoup what you had invested in that armor that was just "lying around"? Were you going to hold that raffle if you did not cover your costs? Those are legitimate questions that I have read in your thread, TMP. You are the one that took offense to them.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back