Jurassic Park: Rylo or Nicksdad Cryocan?

TomVDJ

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I own two Rylo Jurassic Park cryocans at this moment. But Nicksdad made a good replica too, it seems. Is there someone who own both versions and can make a comparison of both?

Bumping this because I'd be curious to know the differences too. I've got a Nicksdad version and used to own an sgmorton can. Gary definitely made some improvements, such as the little groove down the center cylinder. The tolerances of the holes are also better and fit the vials snugly. On the sgmorton can, the vials were just held in loosely, so when you popped open the mechanism, they would go flying.

The one difference I can immediately see between the Rylo and Nicksdad version is the color of the O-ring. Nicksdad's is black and the Rylo version is the correct reddish color. But I just ordered a new o-ring to correct this :)

I also read that Nickdad's can has a concave bottom. Rylo's is just flat. Mr. Nagata, maybe you can post some good pics of Nickdad's can, and I'll post picks of Rylo's. In that way, whe can do a "virtual" comparison.

Never heard of the sgmorton can.

Just got a PM of Rylo (SideFX) with the message that the hero prop has a flat bottom. I don't know, but if it is, than Rylo's version is more screen accurate as far as the bottom concerns...

I am pretty sure Rylo is correct. I noticed it last time i was looking at screen shots of the scene when he is given the can.

I used to own both at the same time. I could only notice a few real differences.

Nicksad has the wrong O ring and seems lighter. However his does have the proper concave bottom.

Rylo has the correct O ring and feels more "substantial". Flat bottom.

The biggest difference is the spring loaded mechanism. Nicksdad's has a weak spring and doesn't always pop up (I seemed to have to keep 'tweaking' it). Ry's has a nice strong spring and popped open everysingle time. I know Nicksdad's was cheaper but Ry's was just the better piece.

Does anyone have the blue ray that can post caps. All i have is the DVD and i have never seen any shot of a concave bottom. It looks pretty flat to me. Being made of aluminum there would surely be some kind of shade change if it was concave. I could be wrong but i am not going to buy the JP box set for one movie. I can't stand JP2 or 3.

DSC05607Large.jpg

DSC05604Large.jpg

DSC05608Large.jpg

There's a little smoke and mirrors taking place with the scene in the film.

Of course the original prop, didn't dispense shaving cream; they were using a real can of the stuff. This seems to confuse a number of people.

The scene simply cuts between the real can and the hero prop which features a flat bottom. It's not at all uncommon for multiple pieces to be used in a shot like this.

They're of course pretending the can is threaded at the base too as Nerdy fakes 'unscrewing' it. The faux threads are present on the original and on every replica out there. It's of course impossible to thread the walls of a shaving cream so the o-ring does serve the purpose of holding the can in place.

As for comparing the props, nicksdad makes a fine replica, simple as that. He's put his own spin on the bottom which makes it unique. My hat goes off to anyone who tackles such an amazing piece. Again, I say, well done. :thumbsup

-Rylo

NOTE: I use high quality aluminum on all my props which gives them a little extra heft and a brighter finish when compared to others, that's all. One more note about the flat bottom. Nobody is guessing the bottom is flat. The hero prop a number of us inspected about 10 years ago was indeed flat on the bottom. So, unless there was more than one hero prop and they had different bottoms, this was settled a long time ago. I mean, anything is possible, but the hero we looked at was flat all day long. Either way, I was proud to see one of mine pop up in the bluray.

Thanks for the kind words!

I am pretty sure Rylo is correct. I noticed it last time i was looking at screen shots of the scene when he is given the can.

Last edited:
Funny, because I have a Nicksdad version and I don't have any problem with the spring. Though I did notice a few aluminum shavings here and there that I had to remove. Maybe your's had something stuck in the mechanism.

I used to own both at the same time. I could only notice a few real differences.

Nicksad has the wrong O ring and seems lighter. However his does have the proper concave bottom.

Rylo has the correct O ring and feels more "substantial". Flat bottom.

The biggest difference is the spring loaded mechanism. Nicksdad's has a weak spring and doesn't always pop up (I seemed to have to keep 'tweaking' it). Ry's has a nice strong spring and popped open everysingle time. I know Nicksdad's was cheaper but Ry's was just the better piece.

Side FX, you inspected the hero prop. Little question: your can has a screw / bolt in the bottom (I guess there is no other way to have a spring-loaded mechanism in place). Is the hero prop also constructed in the ame way (with the mechanism screwed in place from the bottom)?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back