Jurassic Park JP Jeep 00 build updated 11/3/2023

Mackaiver

hi, so i'm a 15 yr old
from Portland.
and i'm making a Jurassic Park jeep replica.
my jeep number will be JP00
i have already collected the rims and a version of the amber fog light but not correct ones, but very close
143_0755.JPG
143_0749.JPG
143_0748.JPG
143_0752.JPG
143_0751.JPG

i would really like any and all advice you guys have for someone trying to piece one together.
thanks
Mackaiver

This is a great movie vehicle to replicate for a few reasons, not the least of which is that it's comparatively cheap! A few of us here have JP Jeeps (mine is JP18), but I think the best thing to do is ask specific questions that we can help with.

My first suggestion would be to join www.jpmotorpool.com

There is an absolute wealth of information there already posted that you could browse through. Good luck! Looking forward to seeing your build. (y)

well, i need help finding finding the Sahara parts, like the fog lights,the seats, center console, and the half doors.

Do you have a base Jeep that you're converting already? Sadly, a lot of these rusted out long ago, so what I ended up having to do was buy a Jeep that was in good physical shape as well as a Sahara that was rotting away that I could pull parts from. I got my entire interior from the donor vehicle and then put all the parts I swapped out from my good Jeep into the donor and sold it.

The half doors I found on Kijiji (Canadian Craigslist). My Jeep still doesn't have the fog lights.

My recommendation would be to start with the big stuff, you can add the smaller detail stuff later as you go. Some of it is difficult to find and in the end if you're missing fog lights it doesn't really affect the overall look.

If you haven't got a Jeep yet you'll save yourself a lot of headache by just finding a good condition Sahara and paying the bit extra for it. Looking back I wish I had done that.

project update
Oct 29th 2023

So I have been working on getting the base vehicle for my build to no avail, but as my search continues I have decided to make some progress on some of the other parts needed for the project.

As my jeep will be my rendition of what could have been an early prototype of the jeeps in the movie (In Universe) I am okay with these lights not being perfect for that reason, but I wanted to make them look closer to the real ones than they are now.

Here are my lights compared to the Actual Dick Cepek Fog lights the were used in the movie.
Untitled.png

The one on top is the exact movie one and the bottom one is the close one I own.
They are both made by Power which is why I bought them. They are also aesthetically very close, but the design overall is slightly different.

So I decided to make a bezel that looks like the original one to fit mine and other small things to make them more accurate, and I am documenting the whole process.

But before I go into the build I want to talk about the other parts that make them closer to the real ones.
  1. They have the white wire boot like on the originals.
  2. They have a similar size and shape to the real one.
  3. They also have the internal metal reflector like the real ones. (that the KC Hilites don't have)
  4. They are much cheaper and more available than the real ones.
  5. IMG_0175.JPEG
    IMG_0176.JPEG
First I opened the light to get to the metal reflector to remove these two wings on it as the Dick Cepek ones don't have them, they easily came off with flush trim cutters but did require me to squeeze a little hard so maybe a tool like a pair of snips would work better for you.
IMG_0180.JPEG
IMG_0181.JPEG

IMG_0193.JPEG

Next, I put it all back together so I could start 3D modeling the bezel

I Have access to 2 3D scanners the Revpoint "Pop" and the "Mini". So I decided early on in the project to use a 3D scaning to help model the bezel. this way it would be a perfect fit.

but I couldn't just scan it, the surface was too reflective for the scanner to read, So I had to use scanning spray. I used Aesub White, it worked great and was easy to clean off after the scanning was done.

(PSA you don't need a thick coat of scanning spray, 1 coat or 2 will work great just make sure you cover every reflective surface you want to be scanned otherwise the scanner won't see it and it won't be scanned)
IMG_0173.JPEG
IMG_0183.JPEG
IMG_0185.JPEG

While I was letting the coating dry, I set up a turntable and the Revpoint "Mini" scanner to start scanning as soon as it was ready.
IMG_0186.JPEG

I then set the part on the turntable and Scanned away.

IMG_0190.JPEG

I will be honest I did spend a good half-hour or so working to get the best 3D scan. I was having some trouble at first but in the end, I learned a lot about 3D scanning and I got a model I could use in Fusion 360 to model off of.

(I was never able to figure out why the tracking went haywire when it got to the flat side but I was able to change the angle slightly and get at least one good scan)

The next step I took was I exported the final model from the Revpoint software as an .OBJ file to use as a reference in Fusion 360.
I used the scan as a template to make a copy of the shape so I could use it to assist in the design.

(though I did end up using both the scan and my copy to aid in the bezels fit and finish)
IMG_0194.JPEG
IMG_0196.JPEG

Here is a video of the design being modeled. I won't go into how I did it. mainly because I am still learning and may not have done it the best, but I am good enough at CAD for the projects I do.

(If you want to see more detail in the video, try slowing it down and that should help.)

And that's it for now, I am 3D printing the first prototype to see the fitment on the light and will update as soon as it's done.

The hope after that is to design in some clips on the back to clip onto the light, but I'm waiting to do that till I know it fits and I like the look.
I also hope to get them either cast in epoxy or (what I really want) injection molded but I'm not worrying about that yet.

If any of you guys have any tips or suggestions let me know.

Also here are some links to the same lights on eBay if you guys want to do this yourself, I'm planning on when I make the ones for my Jeep either selling some and/or releasing the files.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back