Jurassic Park John Hammond Cane

awol007

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Working on version 3 of my John Hammond Cane. It does seem like there might be two different canes in the movie. The "stunt cane" seems to have much more weathering especially between each bone segment.
Examples A and B:
no2uzrzm.jpg
nCavM3Vm.jpg

Whereas the "hero cane" seems to not have any weathering between the segments.
Example C:
75ICqnym.jpg

Example A I got from the site that recently auctioned off the prop from the movie. One of the clearest images I could find. I wonder if Example C is indeed the same cane but that scene was shot before the outside shots. Maybe when they started shooting in natural light it looked better with heightened color between the segments. Maybe it looked like a single piece without the dark coloration so that altered the prop from Example C? Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Here is my progress pics on my version 3. It is hardwood, turned on a lathe and feels nice and solid. It can take all my weight too. I like this one way better than my previous versions that I'm made.

Progress pics from turning, staining to weathering:
WHSxj6Vl.jpg

I'm finishing up polishing some amber eggs then I'll post those and it all together. Would love feedback.

They were probably different canes, I like the heavily weathered version myself

Your latest versions are looking nice! (y)

Amber pics:
qTpPqIkm.jpg

Real crane fly inside. Haven't tested it yet for Dyno DNA.

n9zv8Jkm.jpg

I personally like the detacted leg look of that one. I like the realism of it. I mean if a bug was going to be rolling around in amber those legs aren't staying on. lol

Can you share your process for the Resin Eggs?
Sure. It's pretty basic really. I made a mold of an egg with a stem on it. I use a poly resin. I don't vacuum it or anything. I've never felt like bubbles were an issue. Afterward I sand it with 400 to remove the mold edge. And then I polish it first on a lathe with a wet polish and I also have a three step polishing wheel attachment for my lathe. If you have a specific question let me know.

Sure. It's pretty basic really. I made a mold of an egg with a stem on it. I use a poly resin. I don't vacuum it or anything. I've never felt like bubbles were an issue. Afterward I sand it with 400 to remove the mold edge. And then I polish it first on a lathe with a wet polish and I also have a three step polishing wheel attachment for my lathe. If you have a specific question let me know.

Very cool! Great work making this reproduction!!

That's a great looking cane. My six-year-old son is heavy into Jurassic Park/Jurassic World at the moment. My father-in-law also walks with a cane. If I thought this may be affordable (for me) I'd probably buy one from you. I know it would be worth it. Excellent work.

Working on version 3 of my John Hammond Cane. It does seem like there might be two different canes in the movie. The "stunt cane" seems to have much more weathering especially between each bone segment.
Examples A and B:
View attachment 1013498 View attachment 1013499

Whereas the "hero cane" seems to not have any weathering between the segments.
Example C:
View attachment 1013500

Example A I got from the site that recently auctioned off the prop from the movie. One of the clearest images I could find. I wonder if Example C is indeed the same cane but that scene was shot before the outside shots. Maybe when they started shooting in natural light it looked better with heightened color between the segments. Maybe it looked like a single piece without the dark coloration so that altered the prop from Example C? Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Here is my progress pics on my version 3. It is hardwood, turned on a lathe and feels nice and solid. It can take all my weight too. I like this one way better than my previous versions that I'm made.

Progress pics from turning, staining to weathering:
View attachment 1013501

I'm finishing up polishing some amber eggs then I'll post those and it all together. Would love feedback.
I think the weather in looks excellent.

I think the weather in looks excellent.
Thanks. Since it's real wood it's easy to naturally weather it because the dirtiness can get into the grains and it looks real. Also when I'm turning it I deliberately don't make it as best as I could. That is, it's not completely sanded and each segment is not measured in diameter for consistency. I just eyeball it and I think that adds to the realism. I think if each segment was perfect and if it was resin it would look fake. But that's just my opinion. I've always tried to do realism over exact replica just because that's what I prefer personally.

I like your attitude :). I'll keep an eye out for this and if your run fits my wallet, so to speak, I'll definitely have to get one of these.

I recently threw my back out which lasted for three weeks. In the worst part of it, I actually considered getting a cane as walking was very painful. I actually told my daughter, when the time comes to get a cane, it’ll be a Jurassic Park cane.

I recently threw my back out which lasted for three weeks. In the worst part of it, I actually considered getting a cane as walking was very painful. I actually told my daughter, when the time comes to get a cane, it’ll be a Jurassic Park cane.
I sell a bunch with a metal rod down the middle to add extra support for people who want to use it as an actual cane. They seem to like it. The only problem with it is the egg. If it falls on concrete there is a chance it will snap off. To try and counter this all my new eggs have a much larger diameter stem that goes into the cane itself. It's not full proof but it does seem to help. But in the end it's really just a resin top that can break. I've thought about and tried different materials but haven't found anything completely clear that works better than the stuff I already use.

Okay, how do you keep the bug RIIIIGHT in the sweet spot. Mine sink to the bottom, Or I use a double pour. Wondering how your's are right where it should be.

Okay, how do you keep the bug RIIIIGHT in the sweet spot. Mine sink to the bottom, Or I use a double pour. Wondering how your's are right where it should be.
Sorry I missed this comment before.

I don't know that I have a trick for it. I too have some float away on me. I probably 1 out of 10 that I make I don't like.

Just make sure the resin is at least tacky when you put the bug in the spot you want. Maybe I'll make a video of my process. If I get around to it I'll let you know.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back