Jurassic Park - Federal Signal 191X (Mini)

coffeehedake

Hey everyone.

I figured this would be a good place to post the progress of my Federal Signal 191X Replica, from the electrified fences in Jurassic Park.

I'm miniaturizing these to adorn the top of some portable stanchions, to create a barrier around my motorpool Jeep. (JP58)

When the 3D modeling is finished, I'll print a master, cast several, install LEDs, and use some electronics to flash them in synchronization.

Federal Signal still makes the 191X/XL (L for LED), but they are both prohibitively expensive, and far too large for my purposes. (They're nearly six inches wide)

Anyway, I've been working on them for a week or two so far, and I think making pretty solid progress. Constructive criticism is of course welcome.

IMG_1138.JPEG
191X_Promotedv5Base_2019-Aug-04_06-40-32AM-000_CustomizedView4631733480.png

I'd also like to take a moment to thank a friend of mine for helping me with this project, and also keeping me motivated to make sure it's done, and done right: My fellow JPMotorpool New England Division member James Mahon.

This has been quite a lot of work, research, sourcing parts, and cursing at both my computer screen and measuring instruments, and I don't even think I'd have started without his support. Thanks buddy.

Last edited:
Progress on the globe is moving forward, but slow:

There are 23 peaks on the outside of the globe (10 on the bottom, 13 on the top, and a band along the center). Measuring the spaces between them, their diameter, and then the diameter of each valley as well, as the general shape of the globe slopes as a whole. Very time consuming. Hoping to have some more photos of the progress tonight.

Nice man! Im currently working modeling up full size explorer parts as well as mini model explorer parts. Don't mean to take your thread off track, Anyway they look great! You using Fusion360 to model them?

Nice man! Im currently working modeling up full size explorer parts as well as mini model explorer parts. Don't mean to take your thread off track, Anyway they look great! You using Fusion360 to model them?

Thanks very much, sorry I didn't respond sooner: Yes it's Fusion 360. I'm definitely an amateur with the software, but learning quite a bit and having a blast.

Status update:

Got the upper portion of the globe roughed in. Still need to tweak details and move a few of the refractory slats around, but at least they're present for now. The amount of measuring with calipers was pretty monotonous, but it's getting there.

191X_Basev15Promoted_2019-Aug-11_05-01-37AM-000_CustomizedView16799625410.png

Im currently working modeling up full size explorer parts as well as mini model explorer parts.

My apologies! In my haste I overlooked this part of your comment! That's very exciting! While I don't have an Explorer build in process, I'd be very interested in checking that out and following your progress!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back