Jurassic Park Dino Taser Prod

cyrix9445

Well recently a lot more pictures have surfaced of taser prods used in the opening scene of JP 1 (profiles in history, and other auction sites).

taser2.png

lot13183.jpg

IMG_2585.jpg

I've always wanted to make one of these, but the scene is pretty dark and previously would have been really hard to ID the parts.

ll I've pretty much finished the taser prod, only a few more details left.

prod_comp.jpg

norm-4dce7d5022990-Jurassic+Park+%281993%29.jpg

First I found the appropriate spear gun, manufactured by Mares, this gun comes in several forms. After doing some research regarding the proper size of the gun, I found that the Mares Jet (the current model) comes in three sizes, the longest one (72cm) is still too short to achieve the overall length of the the screen-sued gun (123cm). The model I have found is the "snub nose" which appears to be their older branding, but this worked out for me as it is the correct color combo with the correct trigger, and since the tube would need to be replaced anyways, this was not an issue.
gun.jpg

(updated model)
speargun3.png

---

After receiving the gun, I discharged and disassembled it, the yellow/green grip is just a rubber cover that removes easily.

Then it was off to home depot to find a replacement tube and some components for the light module.

Picked up a long PVC pipe for the tube, copper coil, and some various PVC fittings to make the light module.

tube.jpg

coil.jpg

I then cut and bent the copper coil to shape, also used a torch to burn the ends to give it a used look.
coil2.jpg

After the coil was attached I laid the components out to figure out what length to cut the pipe to get the over length of 48.5 inches.
10.jpg

After the pipe was cut, I painted it with a metallic paint, I also added some scaring on the finish to give it a used look.
thumb2.php

I then assembled the gun and started on the light module, I used various PVC and fiberglass compoents that I found around then covered it all with black Plastidip. Then started wiring up the LED's.

I found some LED housings that would work nicely, but they included 120V AC incandescent, bulbs, so I replaced them with 3.3v DC LEDs with a diodes so I could use a 12v DC battery.

red.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

Next I had to fill the butt of the gun so I could attach the coiled cable, I traced the bottom and cut a piece of Delrin to size and sanded it at and angle so it would snug into place.

8.jpg

Then drilled the hole for the connector (5-pin AT style) then soldered the wires to the connector.

cord.jpg

at.jpg

3.jpg

Next was the white light on the end, I went with an incandescent bulb to match the movie, I found a really "white" flashlight bulb and fitted it to the Swtichcraft XLR plug, I had to gut the insides of the connector to fit the base for the bulb, I also have found the exact panel mount jack for the XLR plug, also manufactured by Switchcraft.

2.jpg

9.jpg

Then I had to mount the light to the end of the prod. I used the same Delrin sheet to make the mount, then sanded it at an angle to match the movie mount
0.jpg

Lastly I had to solder the microphone wire to the light.
1.jpg

I'm still in the process of completing the battery pack, I want to add a volt meter and a few other things, I'll post up progress on that soon.

Last edited:
Fantastic. I was just thinking about these the other day when I was looking at my hardhat. Funny I always remembered them as being much bulkier. Probably because the only image I really remember of the prods is from this concept art from the Making of Jurassic Park book I have. Perhaps I should watch the film again hehe, I'll take any excuse.

I've been working on one of these for myself lately. Does anyone have an id on that project box used as well as the bands around the tube? Thanks.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back