Jurassic Park Cryocans: Current Replicas Available

Little bit of an update on the RB Replicas cryocan— I figured out what was causing it to get stuck/jammed— the inner channel had a lip on the top! The disks were getting caught on it while going up and down. I filed the lip down, and its good as new!
IMG_6178.JPG

Also added some new labels that I felt were a bit more accurate, and wouldn't keep getting jammed when I removed the vials.
IMG_6240.jpg

EDIT: DO NOT ORDER THIS. DINO HAS BEEN MIA/NON RESPONSIVE TO ORDERS.
Hello again everyone, I’ve got another cryocan to go over, this one made by DinoDino AKA Tank Chain
TankCryo-10.jpg

A little bit of context first, I received this can as payment for essentially consulting on the can— I helped design it in the way that DinoDino would send me his design and I would send back modified blueprints and notes based on measurements and observations I took from screenshots and photos. We’ve been exchanging info back and forth for the past couple years in an effort to get as close as possible, and Dino’s design has certainly come a long way from when he sent me his first design.

That being said, though I did work on this, the finished cryo is the *only* thing I’m getting paid with. I do not get a cut of the profit, so I hope you can trust my critique of this is honest and true. :)
Spinning Cryo.gif
Spinning Close Cryo.gif

Moving on to the canister itself, it’s not perfect but (in my opinion, and without the Barbasol can) it is the most accurate looking prop *currently* on the market… which I guess isn’t saying much since the only other one I can think of is RB Replicas, but it’s still pretty great! It still has its problems, and I’ll get to those, but a good chunk of the issues I had with my last cryo don’t carry over to this one.

THE GOOD:
Like with the last, the concave base at the bottom emulates the actual Barbasol can base and looks great. It also has the conical portion between the top two discs only going part way up the center cylinder (which is correct). My only note on that is tiny, and nitpicky, that there looks to be a bit of a lip at the top of the conical section in the movie, or some kind of gap, but it’s still great considering most replicas pre-RB didn’t include that detail at all.
TankCryo-02.jpg
vlcsnap-2018-07-30-07h59m01s264.png

The vials slide in almost perfectly, though some of the holes are snugger than others. I believe this is because Dino makes these by hand, so there might be some variance but they all fit the exact right way. My last two cryocans had the holes a bit too big, and the vials would go all the way up to thes larger ridge bellow the cap rather than being stopped on the smaller one bellow that, like in the movie. The labels Dino got are also pretty spot on in size (and I believe font?)
Vials.gif

Prop:
Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 2.59.28 PM.png
Holes too big:
CryoCan-3 (1).jpeg
Perfect:
TankCryo-07.jpg

The top of the center “CO2 cartridge” also has my favorite version of the top threading. I have not seen a single replica get close to the threading from the movie, but with the actual prop going on display in 2018 (boy I hope we get it on display again for the 30th), we now have better reference, and can see the threading is rather low and only goes about halfway up the top nozzle. I don’t think it’s 1-1 to the original prop, but it’s pretty close and maybe the closest anyone’s been— but perhaps could be a bit lower.

TankCryo-01.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 3.02.44 PM.png

Also, you might notice that the trench in the center cylinder, and hole in the rotating base, is missing from this version of the prop! This was part of the mechanism that everyone used for a very long time, but looking through all the different shots of the prop in the movie, I don’t see this part of the prop anywhere. Maybe someone who has actually held the prop, or seen it in person, could tell me otherwise, but I think getting rid of this part of the mechanism makes it more accurate to the movie, though it does create a bit of an issue that I’ll address later.
Trench in question:
1630230294400.png
Prop:
vlcsnap-2018-07-30-07h59m01s264.png
Dino's
TankCryo-03.jpg

The can itself (window cleaning foam with a paper/vinyl print, I believe?) is a pretty spot on substitution for the original can (pictured is one that I got on ebay, still works!) What’s more, the old finish/printing method on the can really laid out the label thicker than modern cans, to the point where I thought the old can might have been a fake with a printed label (confirmed its real since it has real shaving cream in it, and parts of the yellow/blue printed onto the aluminum part) so the sticker is actually a pretty close look/finish to the original printing technique.

TankCryo-08.jpg

THE BAD:
I’ll start with the worst, and move on from there:
The size of the canister. This is a major flaw, as it does not fit well in the can! The base is about 2mm smaller than the inner diameter of the can, and the only thing holding it in there is the o-ring. Another sign the bottom is too small, the o-ring is sticking out too much, though that is the only thing keeping the can on. The o-ring needs to be more flush with the rest of the can, so basically Dino needs to keep whatever the diameter of the o-ring channel is while expanding the rest of the canister outwards. This was a note that I gave from the start, that the insides need to be flush with the can— and while it might be debatable if the rotating base and disks are the same size as the threaded base, I do think the “threaded” portion of the base needs to be the same size as the inside of the can.

TankCryo-04.jpg
TankCryo-12.jpg

Because it’s smaller, unless you grip the can where the o-ring is, the canister will fall out of the can. Now, I don’t think any of us are actually trying to smuggle this into another country, and most of us will probably be getting these for display only, so this won’t affect the overall look of it, but it isn’t great for size accuracy, and it’s a shame it doesn’t fit.
Cryocan pull.gif

Nedry Barbasol 1.gif

(Looks to be flush to the inside of the can)
Going along with that, the bottom of the canister, meant to emulate the bottom of a Barbasol can, is also the wrong size. It sort of fits the size of a modern can, but is, again, about 2mm smaller than the base of a vintage Barbasol can (I believe it’s roughly the same size as the top ring on the can) and so the bottom of the canister is actually flush with the bottom of the can, making it look like an extension of the can rather than the base of it.
TankCryo-05.jpg
TankCryo-06.jpg

This next critique is highly debatable, and I’d love everyone’s thoughts on this: You activate the spring mechanism by turning the top discs, not the rotating base. Due to the lack of a trench in the center cylinder that I mentioned earlier, you can spin the base around without it activating the spring mechanism.
Cryocan spin.gif
Funny enough, over time, after some grinding and it gaining a bit of grit with the metal pieces rubbing together, you actually can make the mechanism work by turning the base, but when it’s new and gliding perfectly without grit, it didn’t work that way.
I was going to put this in my notes to send to Dino for the next batch, but then I noticed something… Does Dodgson or Nedry actually use the base to make the mechanism spring up? In its first scene, Dodgson has his thumb on the disks (and initially holds it back before allowing it to spring forward) and then Nedry does this weird screwing motion to make it pop up, with fingers over the top discs as well. It doesn’t seem clear.
Dodgson cryocan.gif
Nedry Cryo .gif
Now, while going through this footage again and much closer than before, I see that Dodgson seems to be spinning the very bottom and the rotating base at the same time, while he holds the top disks with his thumb, to make it spring open. Is he spinning booth with his thumb, or is there something on the bottom of the canister that latches into the spinning base and causes it to spin as well? Hard to tell.

What’s more, when looking at the actual prop, you can see the holes in the base are NOT aligned with the centrifuge tubes— if the base had some sort of attachment to the central cylinder to make it pop up, wouldn’t it line up even when extended? Or maybe the mechanism extends too far when it's popped up, and that’s why it is misaligned?

FIwOhyR (1).jpeg

While I would personally like to see the base be the thing that causes the mechanism to work, I can’t give this note in confidence when I don’t know if it’s accurate to the movie. Maybe Dino’s onto something here, but I’ll send him a not to watch the movie closely and he can decide what to do next.

Can anyone who has seen the prop in person possibly comment on this?

Some smaller nitpicky things:
The “threaded” bottom part of the can looks good proportion wise, though I do think this one ridge above the o-ring needs to be smaller than the ridge below it, and I’m thinking the ridges on the base should be a bit smaller, but seeing as that second part is debatable unless I get the prop to measure in-hand, I probably won’t give that note.

As mentioned above, either there’s a small gap above the conical center section (maybe it’s where the disks thread together?) or there should be a small lip— maybe that’s another o-ring there? It’s very hard to tell, he could probably take or leave that note for now.

Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 3.21.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 3.21.42 PM.png

The labels could stick better, but are otherwise good.

It’s hard to tell if the threaded portion of the base is slightly larger than the rest of the can in the photos of the prop— my gut tells me it’s all the same size, but judging by the photo angle of the previously posted screen used prop, it is hard to tell.

In conclusion, this is a great shelf piece in that if this and the Barbasol can are displayed next to each other, yet separate, it looks great! As soon as you put the can over the canister, the inaccuracy is more noticeable.
A great replica, but a few details stop it from being a perfect one.

If you want more video of it, I did make a TikTok going over it in short (try not to roll your eyes haha, TikTok is good for short form content)

Last edited:
Paragon FX released an image of their Cryo in their newsletter. Cryogenics Cannister

Paragon-Cryocan.jpg

We are so excited to share our newest product in our Jurassic Park Prop Replica line: The Barbasol Cryogenics Cannister! These items are already in production and will be arriving this summer. Reserves open today on our website!

Mastered from the original, screen used movie prop, this machined aluminum replica features a 'Pop-Up' micro centrifuge rack that can be activated and seated with a twist, exactly like the original. Each unit ships with 10 accurately labeled vials & period correct Barbasol cannister.
A set of 2 studio archive (inventory) tags will accompany each replica, mimicking how the original is presently catalogued at the studio.
No, No menthol. No shaving cream or the real-world ability to actually chill and transport dino DNA. Yes. People ask.

Last edited:
I have Rylo's can from about 10 years ago and I really like it, although it was made with the 10oz can. Like the Hollywood Collectibles version, which I know was never released, I'm going to wait and see what people who actually buy it think about it. If I miss out, then it was not meant to be. The main problem is that it is twice as much as I paid from Rylo when I bought it and I don't know if I can justify that to myself at this time of my life.

Did Rylo's last cryocan have the details that were missing from previous iterations? Assuming this can will have those, that's one reason to get this version. Also it's been a few years since he last released one and he never had to pay licensing fees for his cans. I think considering all the factors that the cost is fair. Even if I already had an accurate cryocan (which I don't) I'd still want this one. I put my deposit down.

I cannot understand why nobody makes upgradeparts for the older cans to make them more accurate?
It´s an easy thing to build in the new parts yourself at home because its a very simply system.

The only upgrade I would want for my Rylo can would be to get the can itself with the 11oz markings, and not a label, that fits the Rylo internals. Other than that I'm happy with mine as I don't pick it up that often or display it so that you can see the bottom.

It seems I've talked myself into ordering one. I can argue with others but it seems I always lose to myself.

There's even more developments on this prop since the initial release— LOOK at the bottom of this thing!
IMG_8968.jpg

They added the printing from the bottom of the original can.
Comparing this to the bottom of my 90s Barbasol can, it looks spot on in shape and finish.
And taking a close look, you can see it's sort of a different finish from the rest of the prop, and is even sort of aged and scuffed up like the bottom on the actual prop in the archives.
IMG_8969.jpg

Gosh, it's beautiful.

There's even more developments on this prop since the initial release— LOOK at the bottom of this thing!View attachment 1671111
They added the printing from the bottom of the original can.
Comparing this to the bottom of my 90s Barbasol can, it looks spot on in shape and finish.
And taking a close look, you can see it's sort of a different finish from the rest of the prop, and is even sort of aged and scuffed up like the bottom on the actual prop in the archives.
View attachment 1671110
Gosh, it's beautiful.
Just a note - I'm pretty sure the latest images with the weathered base with printed serial number are NOT the actual final Paragon prop. Rylo posted in the Paragon thread that the video was of a sample they made to demonstrate the pop-up mechanism. It sounds like they actually cut the bottom off a real can and glued it onto their sample piece solely for the video. The finals from Paragon will be "clean" (no wear or weathering on the can or base) and may or may not have the printed numbering. The video shows amazing attention to detail and serves as a "this is what we are aiming for", so is really cool, but the video and pics sound like they aren't of the final piece.
It still looks amazing, just wanted to set people's expectations right.

Please remember, these are prototypes you are seeing. For those who don't know, multiple passes are made on the way to production.

The only thing you should take from the above pics (from the last TikTok video) is the bottom of our replica is indeed concaved, just like a real shaving cream can. That video was to simply show the 'pop-up' mech. That's it.

Yes, the bottom looks a lot like a 90's era can. The original was cut off and haphazardly glued into place. We won't be attaching a sharp edged, glued on, doner can bottom with thin metal edges. BUT, our master has been designed with just that to properly illustrate exactly what the machined metal equivalent should look like. This helps to get everyone involved with production on the same page a bit better than a simple machine drawing. So much more efficient to hand over a physical copy and say, "It should look like this!"

I enjoy sharing how the sausage is made and will elaborate on more of that later.

In the end, these will ship as clean replicas. The happy owner may weather if they choose. (y)

So, expect a nice, clean, machined, concaved bottom.

NOTE: Different shapes (bottoms) were present on 90s era cans depending on where and when they were made. Some had batch numbers, some barely visible. Some not at all. The original can's bottom has more glue on it than anything else. We'll leave that off the replica. Also happy to add Barbosol was involved with and approved our graphic.
I ordered one of the DinoDino ones but they've kind of gone MIA and aren't responding to messages, not responding to contacts to the TankChain site or visiting their thread here. There's some who ordered 2 or 3 months ago and have heard nothing. I'm starting to feel a little squirrely about the order and if there isn't some word soon, I may need to cancel the transaction with my bank and try and order a Paragon can before they sell out. I'd rather stick with DinoDino (not because I think it's better but because it ships international and I kind of want to honour the initial transaction) but if I miss out on Paragons because I'm waiting for another replica that never eventuates, I'll be gutted.

Just a note - I'm pretty sure the latest images with the weathered base with printed serial number are NOT the actual final Paragon prop. Rylo posted in the Paragon thread that the video was of a sample they made to demonstrate the pop-up mechanism. It sounds like they actually cut the bottom off a real can and glued it onto their sample piece solely for the video. The finals from Paragon will be "clean" (no wear or weathering on the can or base) and may or may not have the printed numbering. The video shows amazing attention to detail and serves as a "this is what we are aiming for", so is really cool, but the video and pics sound like they aren't of the final piece.
I saw that! Yes, definitely still exciting, and looks amazing. I may decide to add my own print and weathering on the bottom...

I ordered one of the DinoDino ones but they've kind of gone MIA and aren't responding to messages, not responding to contacts to the TankChain site or visiting their thread here. There's some who ordered 2 or 3 months ago and have heard nothing. I'm starting to feel a little squirrely about the order and if there isn't some word soon, I may need to cancel the transaction with my bank and try and order a Paragon can before they sell out. I'd rather stick with DinoDino (not because I think it's better but because it ships international and I kind of want to honour the initial transaction) but if I miss out on Paragons because I'm waiting for another replica that never eventuates, I'll be gutted.
I've had him go MIA on me a few times myself while working with him, he always pops up again (I believe this is a side job, so he still has his main one and a family if that helps explain anything). He said he was only going to charge folks when he had these in hand— I'm reaching out over email sometime this week to give notes on this model (maybe he'll even come out with a better one and you'll benefit from the wait?) and I'll ask about his stock/when he's shipping the next batch out.

But don't wait on me, if you feel a bit off about the order/wait, do what you've gotta do.

That is a Proto, the Screen Used Hero had the bottom of a can glued on the rack iirc

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back