Jurassic Park Cryocan decal wrap and blueprint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nublarensis

Hi, guys!
I'm new member here and wanted to share project that I'm on. I am in process of making screen accurate Jurassic Park Barbasol can. I've found some can blueprints but they need some modifications, I will post them when they are finished.
Since the original cans are getting harder and harder to find, I've decided to make one, screen accurate as much as I can. Here is an example.
Barbasol label.jpg

This is just an example, it needs some modifications. I've watched movie frame by frame and discovered following:
- The can is 11 OZ, not the 10 OZ, and weight in grams is not written
- There are no recycle logos
- Something is written in the place where barbasol.com stands on newer cans (I have searched for older barbasol labels, and the only thing it could be is Made in the U.S.A in my opinion)
- Barbasol Original Shave Cream's ... text has 7 rows, INGREDIENTS text has 4 rows and WARNING text has 7 rows (this is because the original container for the text is narrower)

I will post another picture when I change the text

Net Wt: 11 oz.
raAcGR.png

Also, keep in mind if you guys are going for the most accurate can ever, the old style cans like in the movie didn't have the recess area before the edges, it was just a cylinder.
lKbP9x.jpg

I have yet to even find a picture of the correct can outside of the film however, so good luck.

Yep, you're right about the shape. Never noticed that. Seems that the shape of the can was something like these:
4785073674_b93efe9962.jpg

Good of picture of the correct can:

jurassicpark_barbasol02.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I've noticed the recess area before. I'll just probably buy a newer can and wrap my decal printed on glossy paper, but I will not put barbasol website, weight in gr and I'll try to match the directions and warning text.
I have one question if someone of you can help me. As I said, I found some blueprints for spring loaded mechanism and I'll post 3d model when I finish it. The question is: Does anybody know how much approximately would be CNC machining service for mechanism?
I know the price of the can, aluminum chunk for processing and vials, but I don't know how much would CNC cost

Last edited:
I guess you're better of buying one of Rylo's cans in that case. Will be cheaper than having one copy created from scratch...

If this can help. These are pics of the front and back of the can Rylo used (the 11 OZ can):

Barbasol - Front.jpgBarbasol - Back.jpg

TomVDJ thanks for the pics, but that is the same can decal that I draw, but without recycle logos. As I said the older can has more narrow text box, but the text is same, the difference is only in rows of the text, website etc. I will change it in the next few days.
I respect Rylo's work a lot, but I'm not sure that it's cheaper for me to run one of his cans.
I've done some quick Ebay search:
- Barbasol can about 5$ + 25$ International shipping
- Embryo vials 15$
- Aluminum chunk for processing 70mm wide, 20cm long, 20$
That is about 65$, and the can replicas are about 230$ + 50$ International shipping
Even if the CNC service is 100$ (which I think is too much, maybe I'm wrong) it is cheaper for me to run my own
I have good blueprints, it's not a scratch, I'll post 3D model with measurements when I finish it

The materials are not the cost. The CNC service is. If you want to go for a functional prop (pop-up mechanism) then you need to have several parts made. I doubt that you'll find a shop that will do this one of a kind job for under $100. Unless you have access to a CNC machine yourself and do all the work yourself...

Yesterday I made screencaps of the bluray, and although the back is more or less visible in some scenes, it's impossible to read the actual text on any of them. So even if you make a design where the amounts of lines is correct, I guess it's impossible to have it 100% correct to the original prop. Unless they used an actual older type of Barbasol can and you can get a hold on one of these...

Can you post those pictures? I would be very grateful.
I think that I will manage to do it right, it isn't matter because I can't read it, the ingredients, shaving tips, warning text, everything is same on the newer and older cans, I only need to know correct number of words in each row.
I know that CNC cost a lot, but I doubt that Rylo or others do that job so they could earn 50$ per can. Again, maybe I'm wrong . I sent a rough sketch of my model to a guy who is doing CNC service and I'm waiting for a price response

I'll post those pics within a few hours. I can't make out the number of words in the lines, to be honest. I have pics of these scenes:

1. Nedry is presented with the cryocan.
2. Nedry steals the embryos.
3. Nedry looses his can after being attacked by the dino.

If there are other scenes in the movie that have the can clearly visible, let me know and I can make grabs there too.

As for the CNC: price will go down drastically if you order 50 or 100 parts. Ordering only a few parts (or only one) will make it incredibly expensive, I guess.

I've read some brand history on wikipedia and there stands that in the 1990s Pfizer owned the brand instead of Perio Inc, so I'll probably need to put Pfizer's adress on the decal bottom
$_57.JPG

Last edited:
Also, keep in mind if you guys are going for the most accurate can ever, the old style cans like in the movie didn't have the recess area before the edges, it was just a cylinder.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img673/6845/lKbP9x.jpg

I have yet to even find a picture of the correct can outside of the film however, so good luck.

Yeah, I've been looking for the exact, straight can for years, and never seen one. I have seen the blue/green one though, the exact same design with the straight can. I think they literally used that design on the straight can for about a year before changing the shape, so it's damn hard to find...

We worked together. The main problem was that we couldn't figure out how the locking mechanism works, so we watched many youtube videos and noticed the function of screw on vials carrier. Sorry for my English, I hope you know what I'm talking about. We also needed to make travell on slide pillar, and on his blueprint there was a big gap between base and rotationdisc. Yes, there was lot modifications, but my friend is machine engineer so it wasn't a big problem for him to figure out how things works

Sounds like some scum have been reverse engineering some one elses hard work :unsure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back