Jurassic Park Can Shape

I would be worried about deforming or crushing the can with a hacksaw. A dremel with cutoff wheel might be a better option. Then smooth the edge with dremel and sanding drum, or a file. I'm going to try this too. Just need the graphics wrap.

I would be worried about deforming or crushing the can with a hacksaw. A dremel with cutoff wheel might be a better option. Then smooth the edge with dremel and sanding drum, or a file. I'm going to try this too. Just need the graphics wrap.

Good idea. I'll go with that. :)

Technically speaking (with regard to mine) one is trading a real Barbasol can for a wrap over any number of other non-Barbasol cans. That hardly makes the prop 100% accurate at this point. It does indeed at a glance satisfy those wanting a straight can all the way to the rim, though which is cool. Just pointing out that a real can (used prior to the new art) with the correct graphic still hits me as more satisfying and is 95% dialed in. Aside from the indent at the top and the www, it's pretty much on the mark. Plus, it's all there was! lol!

That said, if one could find a truly vintage can; that would be awesome! When we all started researching cryos over 15 years back, it's a shame that the original non-indent cans were no longer being made. It was pretty much common knowledge back then that the can was the same but for that little indent. We all felt lucky that for a a good long run that they at least kept that original/correct graphic. Hell, I wish they'd go back. I never liked the idea of wraps and have resisted doing them to compliment my remaining inventory. I may get pushed over the edge sooner or later, though. :p

Anyway, it's a fun fact, the cans I used on my runs are the same ones we placed in the parks, that were seen in the extended Bluray and later used in the close shave commercials. I enjoyed watching them show up and I was flattered those who owned them, used them in their work.

Now, don't get me wrong. the pissy artist in me died a loooong time ago. I like what's being done with the wraps and sticking them on whatever can appears to have the same, basic shape. It's fun! I was just pointing out that one is rather Frankensteining up one thing to get to the illusion of another. As you said, the devil's in the details.

I'm anxious to see which cans fit my racks that you guys are customizing! Feel free to share and post pics.

Keep up the good work!!

-Rylo

NOTE: Before anyone asks/PMs. I'm slammed with real-world stuff right now and seldom offer up anything in the JY. I do have leftover cryos from my old run. I just haven't been in any rush to assemble and sell them. Like I said, I didn't want to do wraps. But, there is an interest in racks and people ask all the time if I'm ever gonna sell off my remaining inventory, soooo...I'll advise if/when I move forward in a couple months. To be honest, once I ran out of cans, I shelved the parts and moved on to other things.

Excellent work sir!

For those who dont sweat the small stuff, I think Rylos is acceptable given the circumstances!

But for the die hard fan like myself, matching the holy grail prop is why I attend this site. The devil is in the details after all - details are the bread and butter of the RPF!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Technically speaking (with regard to mine) one is trading a real Barbasol can for a wrap over any number of other non-Barbasol cans. That hardly makes the prop 100% accurate at this point. It does indeed at a glance satisfy those wanting a straight can all the way to the rim, though which is cool. Just pointing out that a real can (used prior to the new art) with the correct graphic still hits me as more satisfying and is 95% dialed in. Aside from the indent at the top and the www, it's pretty much on the mark. Plus, it's all there was! lol!

That said, if one could find a truly vintage can; that would be awesome! When we all started researching cryos over 15 years back, it's a shame that the original non-indent cans were no longer being made. It was pretty much common knowledge back then that the can was the same but for that little indent. We all felt lucky that for a a good long run that they at least kept that original/correct graphic. Hell, I wish they'd go back. I never liked the idea of wraps and have resisted doing them to compliment my remaining inventory. I may get pushed over the edge sooner or later, though. [emoji14]

Anyway, it's a fun fact, the cans I used on my runs are the same ones we placed in the parks, that were seen in the extended Bluray and later used in the close shave commercials. I enjoyed watching them show up and I was flattered those who owned them, used them in their work.

Now, don't get me wrong. the pissy artist in me died a loooong time ago. I like what's being done with the wraps and sticking them on whatever can appears to have the same, basic shape. It's fun! I was just pointing out that one is rather Frankensteining up one thing to get to the illusion of another. As you said, the devil's in the details.

I'm anxious to see which cans fit my racks that you guys are customizing! Feel free to share and post pics.

Keep up the good work!!

-Rylo

NOTE: Before anyone asks/PMs. I'm slammed with real-world stuff right now and seldom offer up anything in the JY. I do have leftover cryos from my old run. I just haven't been in any rush to assemble and sell them. Like I said, I didn't want to do wraps. But, there is an interest in racks and people ask all the time if I'm ever gonna sell off my remaining inventory, soooo...I'll advise if/when I move forward in a couple months. To be honest, once I ran out of cans, I shelved the parts and moved on to other things.
Well so far the yardley of london cans fits your cryocan beautifully. You really need to tinker with the can to get it to properly fit. Once you get it theres no need to tinker with it anymore. I love my newer shaped can with the older label style IMO looks a million times better than the innacurate shaped and labeled newer cans. I have both options to display so I'm double happy now :).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Well so far the yardley of london cans fits your cryocan beautifully. You really need to tinker with the can to get it to properly fit. Once you get it theres no need to tinker with it anymore. I love my newer shaped can with the older label style IMO looks a million times better than the innacurate shaped and labeled newer cans. I have both options to display so I'm double happy now :).

I have to thank Rylo for the handful of cans I own. They are beautiful.

For me with every replica prop its an illusion. But it comes down to a few key attributes:

1) Form - how precisely does it match the prop in terms of shape. If its idealized or edited does it compromise accuracy? If so I seek accurate, and thats just my approach.
2) Finish - how precisely does it match the colour, weathering and appearance of the prop. I keep refining till accurate.
3) Tactile feedback - is it cold to touch, glossy, weighty as Id expect? These are usually defined by materials used but can be faked - ie printed glossy vinyl instead of the plastic wrap used on the original can.
4) Does it function? Does it work as seen on screen? I like to match the screen used device as it were used on set, but again thats just my approach.

So for me if its ticking more boxes above the better.

I have to thank Rylo for the handful of cans I own. They are beautiful.

For me with every replica prop its an illusion. But it comes down to a few key attributes:

1) Form - how precisely does it match the prop in terms of shape. If its idealized or edited does it compromise accuracy? If so I seek accurate, and thats just my approach.
2) Finish - how precisely does it match the colour, weathering and appearance of the prop. I keep refining till accurate.
3) Tactile feedback - is it cold to touch, glossy, weighty as Id expect? These are usually defined by materials used but can be faked - ie printed glossy vinyl instead of the plastic wrap used on the original can.
4) Does it function? Does it work as seen on screen? I like to match the screen used device as it were used on set, but again thats just my approach.

So for me if its ticking more boxes above the better.

I'm with ya 100%

Someone correct me if im wrong:

As far as Barbasol cans we have;

10oz and 11oz - We need 11oz
Old can design with more stripes, and newer design - Old design is acurate
Tapered too vs straight top - We need straight.

Now the closest off shelf is a 10 oz, tapered, new design correct, or is there 11oz still?

Someone correct me if im wrong:

As far as Barbasol cans we have;

10oz and 11oz - We need 11oz
Old can design with more stripes, and newer design - Old design is acurate
Tapered too vs straight top - We need straight.

Now the closest off shelf is a 10 oz, tapered, new design correct, or is there 11oz still?
All yes

So there is no " close enough" off the shelf? Personally I'd be ok with 2 out of the three, as much as the custom route with a sticker.....11oz I'm guessing is non negotiable in order to fit the inner cryocan.

NOTE: I do have leftover cryos from my old run. I just haven't been in any rush to assemble and sell them. Like I said, I didn't want to do wraps. But, there is an interest in racks and people ask all the time if I'm ever gonna sell off my remaining inventory, soooo...I'll advise if/when I move forward in a couple months.

A cryo rack to put in my can (which I also don't have yet :unsure),
now that's a great idea !!! ;)

I'll keep watching this thread then !!!

As far as the old graphic Barbasol cans go: The cans didn't change size; just the (weight) contents.

So there is no " close enough" off the shelf? Personally I'd be ok with 2 out of the three, as much as the custom route with a sticker.....11oz I'm guessing is non negotiable in order to fit the inner cryocan.

Ok so old design is available in 10oz, new design in 11oz?

Actually, for a period of time both of the 10 oz. and 11 oz. cans were available in the old design. (Like Rylo mentioned previously, the actual physical size of the cans were exactly the same, only the internal contents changed.) Here’s a picture of two empty cans that I have in my own Collection for comparison.

8EFD0E03-DBAB-4EB9-856B-E59DA210C3C3.jpeg

IMG_1420.JPG

The Dremel cutting wheel worked well. My can is a bit older can than what's currently available, and I found that the label was a laminated paper, so I just removed the label rather than try and cover it up. Nice shiny silver. Now to track down a proper label.

Ah. Yes, thanks. I had seen that in a previous post and thought it was $6. But with the conversion rate, it's $1.

There was a password on the download file, I had to contact the etsy person to get the password. Will print it tomorrow.

Last edited:
IMG_1422.JPG

And here's the proof it can be done cheaply.

I used a label paper I already had, although it didn't come out as shiny as the one others are using.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back