Jurassic Park (1993) Muldoon costume color question...

Rook 3

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Trying to bring together a Muldoon costume.

The main question I have is: what color is his shirt/shorts?

I think it's a "Stone" color, while some feel it's a standard Kahki.

The hunting vest is a vintage kahki/light brown color.

Thoughts? Or does anyone have pics of the screen used costume from a display/prop tour back in the day?

Thanks!

Looks khaki to me here. Could be the color balance of the film. It's pretty wonky between the various editions.

Always liked Muldoon :)

Attachments

• ss1.jpg
    ss1.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 11,348
Thanks! I think you may be right.

There was a JP tour years ago with props from the film that attended a science museum in Minneapolis. Wish I still had the pics.

Thanks! Got a blank one from one of the JP fan sites. What I need is the black shirt Muldoon photo that was on the screen used ID. :)

I'd definitely go with khaki. Seems to fit in better with his no-nonsense utilitarian style.

I hope you bring this to DragonCon. I have a veloceraptor on Thursday I really need a Muldoon photo op with...? :D

Yep, ordered my khaki shirt this week. Have everything incoming soon, except for the accurate shorts, which I'll likely
have to modify/source after I get the shirt so I can get the colors close.

Are you part of the facebook JP event group? I believe my friend Dave will also be bringing his Muldoon, so you may
have the opportunity to see two of us. :)

Heh, already have that picture. :D Thanks for sharing though, the thought is much appreciated!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the make of vest. It was made by Redhead back in the 1930s-1940s. I have pics of
a 40s vintage one without the chest pocket. Pretty sure the film vest was remanufactured by production
as it doesn't appear to have buttons on the torso pockets or in the chest. It's actually a pretty "simple," double
layer design really and wouldn't take a huge amount of effort to make one from scratch if you could make
yourself a pattern.

I have a Muldoon costume guide up over at scifihero.net:

http://www.scifihero.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8753&hl=

I matched the fabric pretty well at the craft store with screen caps/reference pics like the one above,
so it's do-able.

Last edited:
So, what are those half-moon pockets for?

Also, here are some caps of the watch.

It look similar to a Seiko "Black Arnie," but I think the face is slightly different.

-MJ

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 8.25.22 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 8.25.22 PM.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 397
  • Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 8.26.29 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 8.26.29 PM.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
The half moon pockets are entry to the interior of the vest where you put the birds you shoot with the shotgun. :) On the real ones, the entire interior of the vest is one big pocket. You can fit anywhere from 10 to 14 partridge or ducks in there.

Doing some Google Image Searching, it looks like that was a popular watch style to knock-off. I think the Armitrons look closest to Muldoon's watch, but I haven't found an exact match. Rubber strap with the compass might be aftermarket. Be careful that you get the correct orientation of the face – Muldoon's seems to have the digital display at the bottom, but I've seen it at the top on other watches.

Well, got my shirt finally, and it looks like "Stone" should have been the color choice and NOT kahki.

jurassic-muldoon2.jpgjurassic-muldoon1.jpg

The Hat and shirt were photographed in the same place with the same light. They look to be a similar shade, where a Stone color
would be MUCH lighter, like the reference photo. Time to...

...Called Cabelas and exchanged the Tan shirt for Stone. Should be here in about 10 days. Cutting things close for Dragoncon. :)

Last edited:
lol! In Minnesota, we usually have snow on the ground by Mid-October, so this Isn't a real useable Halloween costume. :)

I think I've IDed the watch, or at least a variant of it. Except for color it seems like a near perfect match.

jurassicpark-muldoon-vintagewatch-similar.JPG

This watch is a Waltham Analog Digital sports watch. It has the same "sawtooth" bezel edge, the
lettering seems to match up pretty well, buttons in a similar position...

Google image search is coming up dead for results though. Not even advertising images.

You are on the right track Russ but that is not his watch. In the mid 80's they had a range of watches called the Miyota 4800-01A 1 jewel movement googling that alone
got me 12 different watches with the same face. It seems that the names were customised by the companies that issued them. In Naked gun he wore a similar one by Michelle.
Here's a selection I found by using the Miyota text above alone, there were tons more at least 12 :)

watches.png

Also look at Muldoons it clearly has a red N on the bezel and the text resembles water resistant at the bottom. When you find this let me know I want to add it to my screen accurate Oris watch I wear for Alan Grant :3

watch.png

Paul

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back