Jurassic Park– Alan Grant's Raptor Claw Fossil

PhantomForge

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey folks, thought I'd just share a little side project I've got going on.

Normally I'd be working on my ceramic Holy Grails, but I've been home for Thanksgiving, and away from the pottery studios— I found some sculpy in my old room and just started make a claw shape. I looked up a screenshot of Grant's claw from Jurassic Park, gave it some detail, and I decided to spend the week making this simple little prop.

After I decided to try and make it at least sort of screen accurate instead of just something to keep my hands busy, I decided to measure it to try and make it accurate to the film, and funny enough I made it the right size just by eyeballing it! Grant says it's 6 inches long, anyone know if the actual prop was a different length? Otherwise I'm going with that.

I also noticed that there seems to be either two props that they use that look a bit different, or two sides that look a bit different—These aren't all the times we've seen it on screen (if anyone has anymore references please post 'em) but I'm going with two sides that look different since whenever we see:

the claw curving towards the right:
Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 6.01.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 5.51.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 5.57.04 PM.png
D1IGoIfWwAEKVGd.jpeg

The edges seem more rounded, the crevice doesn't seem as deep, and the crevice doesn't extend as far on the inner bottom of the claw. It always sort of irked me that the claw was so anatomically incorrect to a real raptor claw, but this side, at least in the beginning, looks better than the other.

Whenever we see the claw curving towards the left (best look at this side, anyways):
Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 6.00.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 5.54.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 5.53.17 PM.png

Deeper crevice, sharper edges, and the crevice extends from the top to the very edge of the bottom of the inner curve.

So this is what I've got so far:
View attachment 686121View attachment 686122View attachment 686117View attachment 686123

Still just blocking out the shapes and indents, really. Got a long way to go...
I'd love some feedback!

--------------------UPDATE-----------------------

Here's where I am in the build now—

Final product! It's been a while, but I've reached a point in sculpt, mold, casting, and painting that I'm happy with! I might work on a 3d model, but this is it for now. The mold has a few bubbles, but it's something easily fixed in the finishing process, and the bubbles in the resin will be easily fixed once I get my hands on another pressure tank.
Raptor Claw Updates-3.jpg
Raptor Claw Updates-2.jpg
Raptor Claw Updates-6.jpg
Raptor Claw Updates-5.jpg
Raptor Claw Updates-8.jpg
Raptor Claw Updates-1.jpg

And in comparison to the screen shots:
Raptor Claw Updates-2.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 6.00.09 PM.png

Raptor Claw Updates-3.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 6.01.15 PM.png

Attachments

• Raptor claw front.jpg
    Raptor claw front.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,076
  • IMG_4824.JPG
    IMG_4824.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 385
  • IMG_4921.JPG
    IMG_4921.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 426
  • IMG_4920.JPG
    IMG_4920.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 445
  • IMG_4944.JPG
    IMG_4944.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 443
  • IMG_4946.jpg
    IMG_4946.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 438
  • IMG_4945.JPG
    IMG_4945.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 393
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 5.55.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 5.55.59 PM.png
    821.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 5.52.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 5.52.51 PM.png
    458.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Raptor Claw Updates-7.jpg
    Raptor Claw Updates-7.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Re: Jurassic Park Alan Grant Raptor Claw

Looks good so far, I've got one of these planned very soon so will be tracking your build for tips! :)

Thanks, guys! I was feeling pretty good about the shape myself, but had to rework it a bit more.
Looks good so far, I've got one of these planned very soon so will be tracking your build for tips! :)
Thanks, I hope this build helps in at least some way!

Re-sculpted the base of it, the inner crevice, and added some experimented texture.
IMG_2112.JPGIMG_2107.JPGIMG_2106.JPGFullSizeRender 2.jpg

We never get an extremely close look at the texture/details on the claw, so I took some liberty with some of the details based on some fossils castings I had, added some cracks and bumps and stuff.
Used the surface of an egg-fossil replica for some of the texture. I'm not sure if I'm going to go any further with the sculpting, might just move onto molding—But I'm gonna sleep on that decision.

Attachments

• IMG_2112.JPG
    IMG_2112.JPG
    886.6 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_2106.JPG
    IMG_2106.JPG
    766.6 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_2107.JPG
    IMG_2107.JPG
    901.1 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:

Looks really good - be interested to see a run of these. I have two replicas from members/ex-members of the RPF, one is more 'sculptural' and hard edged, and one is precise and yet rounded. You seem to have accurately combined the best of both worlds.

Looks really good - be interested to see a run of these. I have two replicas from members/ex-members of the RPF, one is more 'sculptural' and hard edged, and one is precise and yet rounded. You seem to have accurately combined the best of both worlds.
Thanks, I've seen both types around the web and couldn't decide which version I wanted until I realized 1) why not the best of both worlds and 2)Unless there are two props, the prop in the movie is like this— So I'm glad you think it turned out accurate!
And I'll probably get around to doing a run of these some time.

Also, here's a picture of the screen used prop, which I believe was auctioned off some time ago http://s13.photobucket.com/user/StargateSg7/media/raptorclawref.jpg.html It's a little worn and the image quality isn't great, but it's an extra angle
THANK YOU! I've been looking for this! Saw it a while ago and was looking for it last week. I've got a little bit of resculpting to do.

No problem! I have to say the thing I admire most about yours is the fact you've included the obvious assymmetry. The recesses are different on each side and its good to see that on yours. Like I say would love to be in on a run of these when done

Here is my Alan Grant raptor claw from Jurassic Park: wood cut with bandsaw, then routered and sanded. I sealed it with superglue.

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6930.JPG
    IMG_6930.JPG
    890.8 KB · Views: 284

Started the molding process and... things aren't going so great. I'm using OOMOO 30 that I bought last year for a project that was never started, and part A was the consistency of pudding, even after mixing it for a while. Part B was watery on the top, thick on the bottom but mixing it fixed that. I figured the silicone might not be usable, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyways. Nothing really to lose, and if it ruins the sculpt (which it shouldn't the clay is very stiff) I'll just make a better one.

It mixed okay, still like pudding though. Didn't pour on like it was supposed to.
IMG_2117.JPG
Now I've just gotta let it sit over night. Fingers crossed...

Here is my Alan Grant raptor claw from Jurassic Park: wood cut with bandsaw, then routered and sanded. I sealed it with superglue.

View attachment 687558View attachment 687559View attachment 687561
Nice! Years ago I tried to carve one out of wood, cool to see one that's accurately shaped like the one in the movie. Planning on carving the other side, or are you leaving it as is?

Both sides are carved. The first picture is before I routered out each side.

I wanted it to be that brown keratin color...like a fossils...instead of the movies gray color.

Started the molding process and... things aren't going so great. I'm using OOMOO 30 that I bought last year for a project that was never started

Had you opened the containers? This stuff has a finite shelf life but if it was never exposed to air, should be OK for 12 months or so. I have had silicone go off that was opened and left to sit for ages. Even though these products are supposed to be chemically reactive, air, humidity do have an effect.

Had you opened the containers? This stuff has a finite shelf life but if it was never exposed to air, should be OK for 12 months or so. I have had silicone go off that was opened and left to sit for ages. Even though these products are supposed to be chemically reactive, air, humidity do have an effect.
Nope, never opened it before today.

I made a major mistake: as I was pouring the other side of the mold, I realized I forgot to spray a mold release... And the bottle was right next to the box.:facepalm

The result:
IMG_2119.JPG
The silicone stuck to itself. I cut/tore my way to the sculpt, which remained in-tact for remolding sometime in the next few weeks, but I only tore up part of it, and the torn parts still fit together, and therefore still usable.
First casting didn't come out quite right (didn't have enough resin in the mold), so I just used it to test some painting/weathering.
IMG_2125.JPGIMG_2124.JPG
Not great, a bit shiny, but I think it's a step in the right direction.

First "successful" casting of the claw.
IMG_2132.JPGIMG_2133.JPG
I put "successful" in quotations because I tried adding some clay dust to take away some of the shine from the last casting, and added a bit too much dust, making the resin a bit unstable (I think that's the right word for it?) and as I was pulling it out of the mold, it started to crack in some areas, but I think that only added to it looking like a real fossil.
Still experimenting with paints and such too.
IMG_2134.JPG

I put "successful" in quotations because I tried adding some clay dust to take away some of the shine from the last casting, and added a bit too much dust, making the resin a bit unstable (I think that's the right word for it?) and as I was pulling it out of the mold, it started to crack in some areas, but I think that only added to it looking like a real fossil.
Still experimenting with paints and such too.

Use baby Powder. Squirt some in, shake and then open the mold and pat to expel the excess. It takes the shine right off, but does not affect the resin. It can also prolong the life of you mold.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back