Jupiter 2 lower-hull profile

toyroy

Y3a very kindly took measurements of the angles of the lower hull from his four-foot hero re-cast . As you can see on the right, the actual SPFX miniature used on the show for close-up shots, such as lift-offs and landings, had a hull a little shallower than specified by the approved Fox studio drawing, shown on the left.

This drawing is based on Ron Gross's rendering of the Fox studio drawing.

Originally posted by toyroy@Jan 6 2006, 08:11 PM
Y3a very kindly took measurements of the angles of the lower hull from his four-foot hero re-cast . As you can see on the right, the actual SPFX miniature used on the show for close-up shots, such as lift-offs and landings, had a hull a little shallower than specified by the approved Fox studio drawing, shown on the left.

This drawing is based on Ron Gross's rendering of the Fox studio drawing.
[snapback]1152373[/snapback]​

Question- Are the Upper Hull measurements in your picture correct to to Hero 4 footer. Just wondering if Y3a gave you those also. :)

Originally posted by aniskywalker@Jan 7 2006, 05:56 PM
Question- Are the Upper Hull measurements in your picture correct to to Hero 4 footer. Just wondering if Y3a gave you those also.  :)
[snapback]1153512[/snapback]​
No, the upper hull, and the left side of the lower hull are the Fox lines. Not that I wouldn't like the upper hull profile from a four-footer.

Originally posted by toyroy+Jan 8 2006, 05:01 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toyroy @ Jan 8 2006, 05:01 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-aniskywalker
@Jan 7 2006, 05:56 PM
Question- Are the Upper Hull measurements in your picture correct to to Hero 4 footer. Just wondering if Y3a gave you those also.  :)
[snapback]1153512[/snapback]​
No, the upper hull, and the left side of the lower hull are the Fox lines. Not that I wouldn't like the upper hull profile from a four-footer.
[snapback]1153723[/snapback]​
[/b]

I might be able to provide a photograph, taken say 30 feet away that you can use to check the upper profile. The bubble is 4.5 inches in dia.

Originally posted by y3a@Jan 8 2006, 07:30 AM
I might be able to provide a photograph, taken say 30 feet away that you can use to check the upper  profile.  The bubble is 4.5 inches in dia.
[snapback]1153799[/snapback]​
I appreciate the gesture, however, a photo is not an accurate way to plot the hull outline. Now, if you could pantograph the hull, on a plane passing through the centerline(preferably, through three or four widely-separated planes,) and plot the results at 1:1 scale, THAT would be very useful... :)

BTW, thanks for the dome measurement. That is good info. May I ask, how did you measure it? That is, where on the dome, and with what(calipers, micrometer, etc.?)

Originally posted by toyroy@Jan 9 2006, 09:04 PM
May I ask, how did you measure it? That is, where on the dome, and with what(calipers, micrometer, etc.?)
[snapback]1154968[/snapback]​

The jupiter 2 bubble hole is 4.5 inches across. The hard part is finding a plastic hemisphere at 4.5 inches. I found ONE PLACE in CA that had them and got 2. One will actually be used for the spinning bubble stuff, the other is for a backup.

Next up is drilling holes in all the fusion core 'windows'.

Originally posted by y3a@Jan 8 2006, 07:30 AM
I might be able to provide a photograph, taken say 30 feet away that you can use to check the upper  profile.  The bubble is 4.5 inches in dia.
I thought of another way to get an accurate profile: saw the model in half, through a plane which passes through the center axis. It would then be very easy, to trace the exact profile... B)

Originally posted by toyroy+Jan 10 2006, 05:06 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toyroy @ Jan 10 2006, 05:06 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-y3a
@Jan 8 2006, 07:30 AM
I thought of another way to get an accurate profile: saw the model in half, through a plane which passes through the center axis. It would then be very easy, to trace the exact profile... B)
[snapback]1155600[/snapback]​
[/b]

I've been thinking of exactly HOW I could get a copy of the profile without damaging the model.

HOW ABOUT THIS: :rolleyes
I'll put a piece of saran wrap across the bubble hole and down across an area without details and wrapped slightly under the lower hull.

Mix up some plaster of paris and pour some on the saran wrap about 5 inches wide, and 2-3 deep, with pieces of coathanger or chickenwire imbedded.

this would make a messy thing about 2.4 feet long(since its an "L" shape roughly). after it dries, Il'll ship it to you and YOU can figure this all out. :confused

Originally posted by y3a@Jan 11 2006, 05:34 AM
I've been thinking of exactly HOW I could get a copy of the profile without damaging the model.

HOW ABOUT THIS: :rolleyes
I'll put a piece of saran wrap across the bubble hole and down across an area without details and wrapped slightly under the lower hull.

Mix up some plaster of paris and pour some on the saran wrap about 5 inches wide, and 2-3 deep, with pieces of coathanger or chickenwire imbedded. 

this would make a messy thing about 2.4 feet long(since its an "L" shape roughly).  after it dries, Il'll ship it to you and YOU can figure this all out. :confused
[snapback]1156112[/snapback]​
I seem to remember that Alumilite can be foamed, as a way of making it go further. Is it concievable to make something of a cross-sectional cast? Say, sandwiched between two pieces of corrugated paperboard, spaced, maybe, an inch apart?

In any event, I'm guessing there is a fairly straightforward, nondestructive way of getting the profile. I should confess that, up until now, I have been more interested in the lower hull.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back