Suggestion Junkyard Suggestion: Pic Notification

The Dude

Sr Member
I know many here can attest how frustrating it is to see a cool JY thread about an item for sale only to open the thread to see no pic for the item for sale.

Why waste our time? We need to see the condition and all, right? We want to see what we are getting, right?

"Pics sent if requested" does not cut it.

I know we can't enforce that all JY threads have pics of the item for sale.

So....

As you know...Craig's Lists has an icon to let you know the item for sale has a pic of the item.

Is there any way to do that here? It would save a lot of time with clicking on a JY thread with no pic. :)

I've never understood the whole email me for pics thing, seems like a total waste of everybody's time.
How can it save the seller time if he's got to send out a whole bunch of emails to various people as opposed to uploading once to an image host ? heck even the rpf has space to host pics now.
It doesn't save the buyer time i've actually lost out on buying props before because of this, i request pics to be sent i wait around for them and in the meantime someone else buys it unseen, had the pics been posted i could have made my decision and bought the item, i don't buy blind.

I could understand the whole email thing if it was still 1997 and there wasn't a gazillion free image hosts around but it's not.

I think this is a great idea! I don't have a clue how to implement it right off the top of my head, but let me take a look! I think the problem will come down to whether members upload images or link to them that will get us, but we have a lot of smart people here, so maybe someone could step up with suggestions!

Thanks for looking into it, Art.

I have no idea what coding would be involved or if it is even possible but I appreciate the fact you will look into it. :)

Not exactly what you are looking for, but there is a paperclip icon that shows up to the far right of a thread title that shows if a thread contains any attachments. Unfortunately, it won't show up if they have the image hosted outside of the RPF.

...and if you click on the paperclip, you will see a list of viewable links to all of the attachments in the thread.

You can always install a thread thumbnail image like what I did when I made the RI. Sci-fi meshes uses the same mod. A few modifications to the code are necessary, but it's pretty easy.

The thumbnail is generated by the first attachment in the thread.

Is this something you did yourself or did you use a hack from a site like vbulletin.org? I'd love to know more about this.

nevermind, I found it. Hmmm... that looks like a really cool addon. We will have to test it out and see how it works!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back