Jumping On the Gonk Bandwagon

Already starting on this just a little bit tonight. Here I cut out a hole for a Tupperware dish to be used as his "face"

free uploader

Added some greeblies, I've added a bit more since this photo

imagur

And of course any time I bring anything remotely new into the apartment someone thinks it was meant for them

imgurl

Stupid E6000 needs to dry faster. I'm super excited about this build. My first ever droid built :)

Welcome to the fever!

thise bins look real good. The best advice I can pass on from my recent build is to scuff up the bins with 220 grit before you primer and paint. When I was researching, I saw that was one of he most commonly mentioned problems in people's build logs ( paint not sticking to the bins very well)

and if if you haven't picked out your paint yet, I'm a HUGE fan of Rustoleum's Painters Touch. The primer sticks to anything and also dries real quick. You can find it at Home Depot for about $3.50 a can

happy building!

Thanks, greedo, got the bins at a pretty good price too. I've been keeping an eye on a few other Gonk builds which is what gave me the fever. I think I've read somewhere before where people have had paint sticking issues before with their droids. I'll definitely use your advice come painting time :)
Definitely a fan of Rustoleum paints. Can never go wrong there. Still not sure what color I want him to be yet. Kind of torn between the generic Star Wars grey, or orange.

Another thing that might help the paint stick would be to wash these bins with hot, soapy water. The mold release that manufacturers tend to use makes it more difficult for paint to adhere. I also second the advice to scuff with some sandpaper, and I also cannot recommend the Rustoleum primer enough! Rustoleum paint, in general, is the best as far as spray cans are concerned imho.

Another thing that might help the paint stick would be to wash these bins with hot, soapy water. The mold release that manufacturers tend to use makes it more difficult for paint to adhere. I also second the advice to scuff with some sandpaper, and I also cannot recommend the Rustoleum primer enough! Rustoleum paint, in general, is the best as far as spray cans are concerned imho.

I can't agree with either of you more when it comes to Rustoleum, always my go to paint on any projects.
Yeah, before using my E6000, I noticed that smaller things I was putting on the bins with super glue weren't adhering almost at all, even with super glue that normally dries in seconds.

I painted up my bins last night. Was gonna snap a picture this morning, but unfortunately adult business called (late for work =_=) so I'll get those up tonight. I picked a nice rusty orange color for him.

Day off! Gonna try to put a good dent in this little dude. As I said, I painted him his base color the other day, since then he's gotten a few more greeblies, a light and his front side slightly weathered. Here he is so far.

pic upload

I hit him with the rattle can this morning for that exposed "bare metal" look. As I said, only his front side at the moment.

upload images free

image upload free

Now this was an accident, but I actually love the way it looks. I super glued this clear plastic lense in place and the glue seems to have "fogged" up the lense. One of those more than welcome accidents.

photo host

First light in place :)

free image uploading

Not sure what this is supposed to be, but I think it looks pretty groovy

image upload no compression

img

Here's one side unweathered

photo hosting

He's happy to see you guys

image hosting 30 mb

Now I have an issue to address. I taped everything off to spray on the silver, and when I went to peel the masking tape off, some pieces peeled off his orange base coat, very upsetting. Any ideas how I can continue his bare metal look and avoid this? I sanded him before painting, so I'm not sure.
I really don't want to break out my brush and acrylic silver paint for this part, it goes on almost transparent, so it requires many coats. With the rattle can I can just tape'em off and blast him one good time.
Also, I know the contrast between the silver and orange is pretty sharp. This will be toned down later when I move on to another form of weathering.

On mine, I used liquid latex to mask off anything that I wanted to stay aluminum. It's a technique I learned years ago when building a Boba Fett.

You can buy it real cheap at craft stores.

What works best is to paint the entire surface aluminum. Then apply the liquid latex with a small paint brush to any areas that you want to stay aluminum. It dries in a matter of minutes and then you paint the next color ( In your case, it looks like orange would be the next color). Then when the orange dries, you rub the liquid latex off and the aluminum will be there looking cool as ever. The latex actually peels off and makes for a real good "chipped off" type of weathering.

Super easy and looks great.

Here's a pic of mine. I did an aluminum coat first. Then liquid latex to the areas I wanted to look damged/weathered. Then the burgundy. Then peeled off the latex. Then weathered the entire droid with black paint and water.

Greedo, your droid is sick! Looks awesome. Yeah I JUST thought that this morning, that I should've painted the silver first instead of the orange.
I'm just about done with the top bin, it sounds like we're using a similar method with the black paint and water.I might do a wash of brown as well.

Progress!!! The paint job is pretty much finished now. I did a wash of black paint over the whole droid. As I said, I may do a brown wash over him later.
Because of the bright natural light, some of the finer weathering didn't show up in the pictures, and contrasts look a little sharper than what they really are.

upload image free

The "oil" can on his side will have a hose connected to it soon. As well as something else attached to it so the soda can actually looks less like a soda can.

image hosting over 2mb

adult photo sharing

gifs upload

Attempt at capturing the finer weathering in a picture, some still didn't show up

adult image sharing

This will end up with oil dripping out

image hosting 5mb

Part of a bulky Hasbro saber

how do i print screen

Don't know what this would be, but I still love how it looks

free image upload

What do you guys think so far? Aside from legs and feet, there's still more that needs to be done, but I'm becoming very pleased with him.

LOVE IT Mean!!!! That Orange is killer!!! Gonk Fever is growing!!!

- - - Updated - - -

On mine, I used liquid latex to mask off anything that I wanted to stay aluminum. It's a technique I learned years ago when building a Boba Fett.

You can buy it real cheap at craft stores.

What works best is to paint the entire surface aluminum. Then apply the liquid latex with a small paint brush to any areas that you want to stay aluminum. It dries in a matter of minutes and then you paint the next color ( In your case, it looks like orange would be the next color). Then when the orange dries, you rub the liquid latex off and the aluminum will be there looking cool as ever. The latex actually peels off and makes for a real good "chipped off" type of weathering.

Super easy and looks great.

Here's a pic of mine. I did an aluminum coat first. Then liquid latex to the areas I wanted to look damged/weathered. Then the burgundy. Then peeled off the latex. Then weathered the entire droid with black paint and water.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/...94-B474-7375AAF73ACB_zpszx87ny4o.jpg~original

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/...76-a0b0-0904eadc9350_zpsbezn840s.jpg~original

Fantastic man, i had not seen your Gonk before!

Hi M O,

Love the Gonk! Orange? Bold color choice - LOVE IT! Weathering can be a real trick! Check out Adam Savages weathering techniques on a chest he made. I used these same techniques on my Quad laser!

One thing I learned was when you add all the grime and dirt... other than leaks and oil stains, the secret is to clean your "object" as you would actually clean it leaving areas of grime in those tucked away corners or hard to reach areas. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXzxEqdvuIE

Keep up the great work!

Thanks, Sofa! I'm glad you like him! Means a lot coming from you too.
Yeah, I saw a darker orange gonk that Ithink was just a toy, but iI really liked it, so decided to incorporate it on my droid. Yeah, with the direct sunlight and contrast of the pictures the silver on orange looks a lot sharper than what it is.
His legs might be added today, depends on how I feel when I get off work.

Just a quick update, guys. Still working on the droid, he got his legs this weekend, and I also got a phone charger to add on to him as well. So more to come.

Progress!!! I got his legs put on. Sorry for the lack of updates, unfortunately I haven't had much time to work on him other than the weekends, stupid grown up business taking all my time.
All I gotta do is put some tubing over his legs and make the feet to cover the wooden blocks. And the best part is, his balance is great!

screenshot

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back