Judge fear

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by gothic, Jun 16, 2015.

1. gothic

gothic Sr Member

Im working on a judge fear costume based artwork from 2000AD

6.jpg 10.jpg

the main costume will be based on the first pic but i like the helmet and shoulder pauldrons from the second. i apologise as this was going to be a work in progress but i lost some of the earlier build pics so some elements are near completion and others are just starting.

i wanted judge fear to have a post apocalyptic look to him so i decided to loose the gold finish and make everything worn and rusty. despite my best efforts the rust finish never looked right so the final coating is actual rust, i ground up old rusty pipes then applied PVA then sprinkled rust powder on each item last step will be a clear Matt lacquer.

BELT MOUNTED TRAP

IMG_0855.JPG IMG_0856.JPG IMG_0857.JPG

the main body is EVA floor mats the shaft is a plastic tube and the spring coil is thick armature wire.

PADLOCK

IMG_0853.JPG IMG_0854.JPG IMG_0858.JPG

this is also EVA floor mats, the back has a nylon strap as it will be belt mounted

SHOULDER PAULDRONS

IMG_0851.JPG IMG_0862.JPG IMG_0863.JPG

these are at the halfway point they have a base rust colour and battle damage, next they will be shaped and a final rust coat added

DIMENSION GLOBE

IMG_0869.JPG IMG_0860.JPG IMG_0868.JPG

this was a gift globe from a craft shop, the rear has a nylon strap for belt mounting, needs to be primered then a gloss black finish

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    RacerMachX likes this.
  2. Uridium

Uridium Well-Known Member

They look awesome! Really like the rust instead of gold choice you made.

Really looking forward to watching your progress.

gothic likes this.
  3. rollingthunder

rollingthunder Member

Cool. I'm building my Son a Judge Death costume but it's nice to see the other Dark Judges. I'm liking the rust effect on the bits. The trap looks real.

gothic likes this.
  4. gothic

gothic Sr Member

thanks Uridium & rollingthunder, i spent ages watching youtube vids on how to paint rust and a lot of time and paint later it looked ok but not real then a one video on how to do rust effects the guy said use real rust powder .....doh

5. gothic

gothic Sr Member

just finished rust painting 110 inches of plastic chain i got from a fancy dress shop

IMG_0866.JPG

6. rollingthunder

rollingthunder Member

That does look the part. I'll be paying attention if i need to rust something up?

7. gothic

gothic Sr Member

i curved the shoulder pauldrons and working on the knee pads, by looking at other comic book dredds looks like the colour is British racing green if its another shade lets us know

IMG_0872.JPG IMG_0870.JPG IMG_0873.JPG

RacerMachX likes this.
  8. gothic

gothic Sr Member

just for fun

tumblr_nomkopOvmp1t95vo6o1_540.gif

9. MAAZ

MAAZ Well-Known Member

Love your build so far - Great Job!!

gothic likes this.
  10. gothic

gothic Sr Member

thanks for the positive feedback means a lot :)

11. Fire2993

Fire2993 New Member

Can't wait to see the whole thing when it is ready. Death rocks

12. TyrellOCP

TyrellOCP New Member

The crumbled rust looks fab on those belt pieces.

British Racing Green would be a good base colour for the pads and then dulled down or mixed with a khaki.

Looking forward to seeing the helmet.

gothic likes this.
  13. gothic

gothic Sr Member

finally my wire wool pads went rusty, submerged them in water then waited nine days for it to evaporate now I have more rust (how sad is it that it makes me happy) so now I have finished the shoulder pauldrons.

IMG_0890.JPG

no more rusting wahoo I was beginning to have raw sienna and burnt sienna dreams :wacko now time to work on the helmet

14. Implausibility

Implausibility Jr Member

I can't wait to see this unfold, I love the dark judges. You are doing a brilliant job so far, you are the king of rust! :)

where are you from Gothic? I'm hoping - although it's a long shot - that you're UK based and I might be able to see this costume at a convention one day

gothic likes this.
  15. gothic

gothic Sr Member

Thanks Implausibility, yeah im uk kent. I so wanna break my convention cherry in costume been to loads but im normally the guy having photos taken with all the other cosplayers and watching all the group photo shoots thinking one day ill suit up and join in

16. Implausibility

Implausibility Jr Member

Yay you are UK :) Well in that case Judge Fear will be the perfect costume to debut in! Promise me you will :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

gothic likes this.
  17. gothic

gothic Sr Member

yeah im gonna debut as judge fear,nervous as hell but i can hide in that helmet :lol still loads to do but im getting there. the helmet is a major challenge but found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M69QPrjavKo from PannausProps think he is a member here so im going to try it as magneto's helmet is similar

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  18. Implausibility

Implausibility Jr Member

Good luck with your helmet build - funnily enough last night I was playing with a very similar looking shape as the base for a helmet for my son's next costume:

magneto.jpg

I'll be making his out of good ol' EVA foam though, nothing fancy like the one in your video

19. RacerMachX

RacerMachX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

torsoboy and gothic like this.
  20. gothic

gothic Sr Member

nice one RacerMacheX found pics of your helmet on an internet search I have them saved in my project file always wondered who's it was :thumbsup the video is fancy lets hope my attempt is passable lol

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  21. gothic

gothic Sr Member

got side tracked from the helmet while waiting to get all the filler so I completed the teleport device, there is only one semi clear pic of this so I used some artistic licence lol.

IMG_0910[1].JPG IMG_0861[1].JPG IMG_0899[1].JPG IMG_0900[1].JPG IMG_0901[1].JPG

I made it green based as the dark judges armour and gadgets often match the street judges, I also made it look dirty and aged to match the rest of the suit

RacerMachX likes this.
  22. gothic

gothic Sr Member

finished two more elements, first being the knee pads gave them a beat up dirty look.

20.JPG 21.JPG 22.JPG

also finished the dimension jump globe, from the comic i have no idea if its clear with black highlights or black with white highlights ? i went for black looked better.

23a.PNG 24.JPG 25.JPG 26.JPG

i have sort of started on the helmet, im taking my time as its the cherry on the cake regarding this suit build so i don't wanna rush it.

28.JPG 29.JPG

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  23. Lemna

Lemna New Member

I've been watching this, looking forward to even more updates when you have time.

L~

gothic likes this.
  24. gothic

gothic Sr Member

irony is that at the moment i have the time but not the money so i do little low cost bits so that when i have the money and not the time most of it should be done i hope :wacko weird logic i know lol

25. gothic

gothic Sr Member

shrunken-head-a-3.png

been working on the belt mounted shrunken head above as I bought it

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  26. gothic

gothic Sr Member

IMG_0995.JPG

I removed the neck section and the back of the head then primed it and gave it a base coat.

27. gothic

gothic Sr Member

IMG_1012.JPG IMG_1014.JPG

belt mounting strap mounted on foam as head is hollow

28. gothic

gothic Sr Member

feet_werewolf_brown.png

IMG_1007.JPG

these were the feet I bought, i de-constructed them and kept the uppers then I will re-attach them to surf/divers neoprene boots.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  29. rollingthunder

rollingthunder Member

That is exactly what I intended doing for the mini Judge Death i'm building for my Son. I'm also using a set of childs Dementor hands for him but they sell adult sizes too
    Dementor Harry Potter Hands.jpg

gothic likes this.
  30. gothic

gothic Sr Member

cool, I am going to be using these ones as there only fronted so I wont get sweaty hands lol I am going to use a Warhammer 40,000 ork paint job on the face mask, hands, feet and shrunken head.

h3.jpg

will be cool to have the four dark judges at a con one day.

31. gothic

gothic Sr Member

32. HeyLetsRock

HeyLetsRock Active Member

gothic, WOW this build is looking great!

I haven't been on here in so long I feel obligated to mention what I'm doing in the Dredd forum. haha. I was working on a Dredd 2012 female judge suit (my first build) in 2013, but scrapped/sold it all off early 2014. Turns out I'm a bit crazy about screen accuracy and that equals a lot of money when it comes to the Dredd 2012 getup! I've learned so much more since then and recently had the idea to do a comic Judge. Since there are so many variations in the illustrations over the years it gives a lot more freedom on the build.

Glad I came to check things out here, can't wait to see what you post next. How long have you been working with EVA foam? - Those shoulders, knee pads, etc look so good, from foam detailing to paint. Are you planning on having this done for a certain event like Halloween or a con?

gothic and Dtrasler like this.
  33. gothic

gothic Sr Member

Thanks HeyLetsRock, its my first time using EVA foam I watched a lot of YouTube tutorials then bought a pack of floor mats and practiced on a few before making those ones. The suit is for a con what one will depend on when I finish it. Its my first build and a first in costume as I am normally the guy asking for pics with other cosplayers.
    look forward to your build there are some good PSI andersons classic comic version builds around to get ideas and tutorials from

34. gothic

gothic Sr Member

shrunken head is done, its been remodelled, painted, and had new stiches on eyes and mouth plus hair and a nose ring added

IMG_1019.JPG

HeyLetsRock likes this.
  35. gothic

gothic Sr Member

with luck

IMG_1017.JPG + IMG_1021.JPG + IMG_0994.JPG = 14.jpg

I bought twenty four one inch half circle eyes from eBay then made around a hundred latex skin and eye patches. The mask is a cheap Halloween one and xtrickortreats finished mask is my benchmark.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    HeyLetsRock likes this.
  36. gothic

gothic Sr Member

did anyone order an eyepuccino, making the skin patches was a newbie mistake I thought it would save time so I went back to cotton wool balls and latex

IMG_1029.JPG

I then added more layers and gave it a sinew look then base coated it dark green gave it a green ink wash then dry brushed with a lighter green

"gaze into the face of fear"

IMG_1042.JPG

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
    Dtrasler and Krats like this.
  37. gothic

gothic Sr Member

friend pointed out that judge fear wears a slave collar that the pauldrons chains connect to :angry so another element was found, its a plastic slave collar painted brown and..............you guessed it more rust added (will the rust ever end) oh and never type slave collar into an internet search like I did ............its just wrong :facepalm
    IMG_1059.JPG

next is hands and feet colour matched to the mask, the helmet is still on hold but I did make a work base for it (almost progress :lol)

IMG_1066.JPG

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    Dtrasler likes this.
  38. gothic

gothic Sr Member

hands and feet have been paint matched to mask all I need now is to attach feet to surf/scuba style neoprene boots

IMG_1073.JPG

IMG_1075.JPG

rollingthunder likes this.
  39. gothic

gothic Sr Member

been working on the name badge, its the first time I have used worbla there is no mention on the YouTube videos about chasing the smaller pieces when you turn on the heat gun :wacko but its all good.
    5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

working on the helmet bade now will give it a similar paint scheme

40. gothic

gothic Sr Member

helmet badge all done

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Munk likes this.
  41. gothic

gothic Sr Member

The visors are finished all but priming and painting, they are made from foam board the back is reinforced with fibreglass and resin and the fronts are reinforced with just resin. I added some nicks/cuts to give it a weathered look.

q1.jpg

q2.jpg

42. gothic

gothic Sr Member

The helmet wings are also nearly done, I fabricated a mount to connect the wings to the helmet that would be more secure.

q1.jpg

q2.jpg

ill cover them in worbla that way the wings that are mainly worbla will attach then the bolts will go through the helmet and be a secure mount

q3.jpg

cut the wings and copied the damage to them from the comic cover photo, the spines of the wings are bamboo food skewers they were the right diameter and they were already pointed.

q4.jpg

I covered the bamboo spines with worbla made the two top larger spines from just worbla then heated and attached it all together. it will still need a little adjusting once there mounted.

Dtrasler likes this.
  43. Uridium

Uridium Well-Known Member

Looking good Gothic, keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing the completed version.

gothic likes this.
  44. Implausibility

Implausibility Jr Member

I genuinely can't wait to see all this come together. Whatever convention you wear this to, I'm there, I want to see this beauty up close!

gothic likes this.
  45. gothic

gothic Sr Member

no pressure then :eek lol the helmet is all fiber glassed and coated in isopon P-38 car filler ( bondo to any one outside the uk ) it was all sanded but i had to build the peak out about 6mm ill add photos at the weekend once the peak is sanded

Dtrasler likes this.
  46. gothic

gothic Sr Member

the helmet is almost finished just a few tiny spots to fill, i have a new appreciation for all you who make helmets with resin and filler its not easy and its hard to see the end result, I looked like a six foot snowman in the garden covered in filler dust from the electric sander but finally it took shape. The visors are not fixed nor is the helmet badge just wanted a mock up of how it would look.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG

now its lots of primer and sanding, working on if i should gloss black and weather down like the dredd helmets or satin black either way i will make it look weathered and worn

oota goota likes this.
  47. gothic

gothic Sr Member

Been doing repair work mainly I'm working on the mark 3 visors the other two mark 1 never fit and mark 2 were to weak even after adding fibre glass and filler, the front chin guard also developed a large crack here it joins the main body of the helmet so I had to remove the internal and external parts and start again. glad it happened now rather than when t as all primed and painted.

3.jpg

I did manage to make a mold and cast some spikes from resin and add them.

2.jpg

the wings are now fixed and now its had a leveling coat and three coats of primmer hen the visors are finished ill give it a satin black top coat.

4.JPG

RacerMachX likes this.
  48. oota goota

oota goota Well-Known Member

very cool gothic!

gothic likes this.
  49. Implausibility

Implausibility Jr Member

Looking so good. This is one of my most awaited builds of the year (and last year) :)

gothic likes this.
  50. gothic

gothic Sr Member

thanks oota goota & implausibility