Judge Dredd Lawgiver (Stallone version).

tobor

I got this kit recently in the Junkyard, and thought I would document its build here.

It’s made by Comet Miniatures, and comes in eight resin pieces and four white metal parts.

The casting is quite good. Of course there are the usual seam lines, and air bubbles to sort out, and generally quite a bit of clean up, but nothing too bad.
I’ve decided to replace the plastic tube that came with the kit for an aluminium barrel. I’m also making an aluminium butt plate.
I’m drilling out the moulded in screw heads and adding real screws.
I’m thinking about lighting up the ten parallelograms with red LED’s, but I haven’t, figured out the easiest way of doing this yet.

Can anyone tell me what the lens is that is below the barrel (See bottom picture below)?
I don’t know if the white metal part provided with the kit is accurate to any of the screen used props, but I think the lens looks better and would like to try and get one.
lawgiver01.jpg

lawgiver02.jpg

lawgiver03.jpg

lawgiver04.jpg

lawgiver05.jpg

lawgiver06.jpg

I looked in previous threads on the forum and found what the lens is. (Should have done this first).
Apparently it’s a Vivitar monocular.
lawgiver07.jpg

That's the kit I wanted - but couldn't afford , LOL - i hear there are super nice kits and i look forward to seeing it finished sir - there's a thread on my 95 Stallone lawgiver in the dredd section

http://www.therpf.com/f71/differences-95-dredd-lawgivers-182246/

Wish mine wasn't as crappy as it is but it is what it is right ? Yours looks nice so far .... Cheers from ohio

Last edited:
Very Nice. Keep up the good work. I've been kicking around the idea of making an airsoft pistol into one of these, but always pushed it to the side. I always thought the one bright point of the Stallone version was their Lawgiver was way better than the comic version.

Hi ranallace, I’ll keep an eye on your thread, looking good so far.
I’ve ordered some larger diameter aluminium tube for the barrel. I’ve also bought a Vivitar monocular on eBay.
The butt plate is nearly finished, just a bit more cleaning up. I’ve glued some rivet nuts in the handle to screw it in place. These are also going to be the mounting points for displaying the gun in a case.

lawgiver08.jpg

lawgiver09.jpg

lawgiver10.jpg

The eagle is not cast very deep. I’m trying to engrave it deeper using the tip of a scalpel blade. I don’t want it obscured by the primer and paint.

lawgiver11.jpg

I’ve made a replacement for the detail above the trigger out of aluminium plate. I think it’s better to have real metal showing rather than paint, if possible.

lawgiver12.jpg

A little more progress on the build.

I’ve fitted in a larger diameter barrel (25mm with 3mm wall thickness).

lawgiver13.jpg

I’ve also put some LED’s in one side. There’s quite a lot of light leakage, coming though the resin. I think this will be all right with a coat of primer and a few coats of black paint. I can also reduce the brightness of the LED’s as well.

lawgiver14.jpg

lawgiver15.jpg

In front of the LED’s, I’ve inserted some thin acrylic pieces, which are sprayed red on the underside.
At the moment there is just a round hole through to the LED. I will probably cut the whole parallelogram back, so you won’t see a round light source.

lawgiver16.jpg

I’ve made an access panel at the rear of the gun. There will be two switches in there, one for the blue LED and one for all the red ones. The panel is held in place with strong magnets.

lawgiver17.jpg

The eagle emblem has been engraved deeper.

Still a lot more work to do on this, but it’s coming along nicely.

lawgiver18.jpg

The sights are now fitted, and I’ve cut a new trigger out of 5mm aluminium plate. I prefer this style of trigger to the one provided with the kit.

lawgiver19.jpg

lawgiver20.jpg

The vivitar monocular arrived and I’ve fitted it in the extended position. I’m not sure if I’ll leave it like this, or make a bigger hole and have it retracted.

I have however decided to put some LED’s behind the lens. I think I can get four 5mm ultra bright white LED’s in there. I know this never lit up in the film or on any of the props, but it’s an easy mod to make, and I think it will be cool.

lawgiver21.jpg

lawgiver22.jpg

In looking at the real firing screen used version of this, I've noticed a couple discrepancies, if you don't mind some constructive criticism. The screws you added should be flat topped slotted screws, as opposed to the round topped phillips you're using. Also, the trigger should be hollow behind. It's more of a lever coming down from the top, rather than a solid blade. the original base gun was a Beretta 92F, if you need a reference pic for the trigger. Otherwise, your work looks great!

EDIT: Here's a link to the screen used blank firing gun. http://matsucorp.yuku.com/topic/596/Judge-Dredd-movie-Lawgiver-anyone-have-one?page=3#.UuQLJhDnaUm

Hi Mobiuscorpus, I’ve decided to base this more on the stunt versions rather than the Beretta based hero prop. It’s sort of a combination of the two guns in the picture below. The handle and butt-plate of mine are more like the bottom prop, and the trigger like the top one.

lawgiver23.jpg

The top section has had its first coat of primer. This of course has shown up all the small imperfections, pin holes etc. which have to be dealt with.
I’ve changed the screws to socket head cap bolts. I just think these look better.

lawgiver24.jpg

Four warm white LED’s have been mounted behind the monocular. There will be a separate switch behind the access panel to control these.

lawgiver25.jpg

lawgiver26.jpg

I decided the only way to get the parallelograms looking good, was to cut them out to the proper shape. You can see they definitely look better.

I can dim all the LED’s together but not individually. To even out the brightness I can give some of the acrylic pieces another coat of red paint on the underside

lawgiver27.jpg

lawgiver28.jpg

lawgiver29.jpg

lawgiver30.jpg

I’ve also been working on the Blue Square and red triangle lights.

lawgiver31.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back