Judge Dredd 2012 movie costume build WIP (Long term project)

Fragasaurus

Hi RPF'ers,

This being my first worklog, a quick introduction. My name is Daniel, and I live in Perth, Western Australia. I have been a Judge Dredd fan since I discovered 2000AD comics in the 80's. I have always dreamed of having my own Judge uniform, but I never had the ingenuity or the means to make one. Cue the 21st century, and having discovered this site via aimless googling one night after re-watching the Dredd 2012 movie, I have decided to dive in and make my own costume.

This will probably take a while to do, although folks on this site seem to not mind things taking a long time to complete. Reason being is that I need to lose about 40 kilos before it would be worthwhile to make/aquire the jacket and pants. I'll just add this to all the other reasons why it's better not to eat evil food and exercise :angel

dreddactors.jpg <------- No one want to be this guy doing Cosplay :D

So, my workflow will probably be as follows:

Helmet
Lawgiver
Badge
Boots
Gloves
Belt, buckle, grenades and pouches
Tac vest
Pants
Jacket inc elbow/shoulder details

First convention here in Perth is in April 2015, so I'm aiming to be complete by March.

Costs so far:

$ 4 A3 cutting board
$ 13 A4 200gsm card x100
$ 5 Fine point pens for scoring
$ 24 Ozito glue gun/sticks
$ 3 Paint brushes x3
$ 21 Fibreglass.Epoxy resin + hardener
$ 70 Total

So, Helmet...

Thanks to the kindness of Blaxmyth via Dung0Beetle, I downloaded the updated pep file for the 2012 Helmet. Unfortunately, every time I printed it out, only the numbers printed, not the outlines of each piece. After uninstalling and reinstalling various versions of Pepakura Designer, I discovered that if I printed using the dropdown menu "File" rather than the printer icon on the toolbar, I got my outlines. Tricksy Pepakura Designer, tricksy.....

Pep designer tip.png

After looking at it for about a week, I finally took the first step.

1st pep cut.jpg

I decided to just make a helmet using normal paper/glue stick as a test run for sizing. After a couple of hours I ended up with...

Helmet.jpg

Oh dear...

Oh dear.jpg

My daughter thinks it's cool, so I guess it's ok.

I decided that it might need a 1cm on either side for width, being the owner of a larger skull that most, so I fiddled with Pep Designer until I worked out how to do it, and move the pieces around so it fitted the pages again. I only ended up needing two more pages than the nine initially :thumbsup

Now it's onto the real deal, I've printed onto the card stock and I'll get pepping asap. Thanks for looking!

dreddactors.jpg

1st pep cut.jpg

Pep designer tip.png

Helmet.jpg

Oh dear.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry about your girth...I wacked on 20k and had to quit the 501st:facepalm fat stormtroopers look terrible ;)....getting into your armour, it's a good reason to lose that jelly belly:D

I'm at the blade putty stage of my dredd bucket, I don't have a build thread, but there are heaps of good one's around here, check out my photobucket for some good detail.

I used the same pep file, but I decided against using fibreglass mat and just rondo'd the inside and it's really strong. Resin inside and out, then rondo inside, then bog all outside, then blade putty, then bog the red and additional black high points, blade putty and three years of sanding in between:rolleyes.............anyway, you'll get the hang of it.

Now get working on your build and post often.....it's one of the best ways to stay motivated.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back