Judge Dredd 2012 is gonna rock

Reactions to Dredd screening which was held last night on July 11, Wednesday at Comic Con.

Steven Weintraub at Collider.com
https://twitter.com/colliderfrosty/status/223310467148427264
"DREDD was a super hard R and a lot better than I thought it would be. Again....super hard R. 3D was also great. "

Peter Sciretta at Slashfilm.com
http://twitter.ie/slashfilm/status/223314185210171392
"DREDD is a lot of fun. A return to 80s action, The Raid meets Robocop on a mini scale. great use of high fps slow mo 3d. Gritty & violent"

Hmmm...The Slo-Mo scenes seem to take advantage of this films modest budget with some great eye candy. And keep on hearing that it's earned a "HARD R-rating"

I've been crossing my fingers that this be good. Now I'm looking forward to it. As long as it doesn't get cut before release to get a lower rating.

Must admit I liked the trailer

Same here. :thumbsup

I haven't cared much for the low-rent production design seen in early set photos, but in motion it's very different. The trailer, and now reading these positive reviews, have me really excited to see the film!

Quint at AICN has this little nugget in his review: "crazy Verhoeven-level violence/satire"
Quint sees DREDD at Comic-Con and finds it to be a fun and violent piece of exploitation cinema!

Capone at AICN "...you're in for a hardcore action ride the likes of which I haven't seen in quite some time from a mainstream, non-horror release."
SDCC: Capone says the hyper-violent DREDD will assualt your eyes and mind in the best possible ways!

Lauren Davis at io9 "...amidst the bullets and blood, Dredd leaves some questions about its heroes' role in their dystopian society while taking a very artistic approach to 3D movie violence."
Dredd is a brutal action flick with both a high body count and a brain

judgementiscoming.com
Watch and share the exclusive clip. US viewers can get a chance to win a trip to London to watch the film.

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Well, this is coolness, I thought the movie was gonna be a dud, but there seems to be a good buzz all over the net from the screenings. Bring it on :thumbsup

After watching the trailer before Ted I do want to see it. But the trailer I saw makes the movies plot seem almost entirely like the movie The Raid: Redemption. A bunch of cops are in a building and have to go floor by floor to face off against a drug dealer/crime lord.

Im assuming the movie is more than that, but the trailer is almost identical in some ways. Just my opinion of course.

After watching the trailer before Ted I do want to see it. But the trailer I saw makes the movies plot seem almost entirely like the movie The Raid: Redemption. A bunch of cops are in a building and have to go floor by floor to face off against a drug dealer/crime lord.

Im assuming the movie is more than that, but the trailer is almost identical in some ways. Just my opinion of course.

Yeah, that was something I noticed as soon as I saw the Dredd trailer (as did every one else who's seen The Raid), but from what I've read and have been hearing, the similarities dissolve pretty quickly, and don't go much further than them both involving bad guys in a tall building with a drug lord.

I was very skeptical, but after seeing the latest trailer, I'm absolutely on board with this, and excited to see it. I'm sure Karl Urban will do an amazing job as Dredd.

All blood no bite according to this review:

'Dredd' Review: This Reboot Is All Blood, No Bite - Fandango.com

"The fact that Urban’s face is almost entirely covered the entire film exacerbates the fact that Dredd never feels human. Unlike most superhero or superhero-like films, Dredd doesn’t get a backstory. He’s simply thrown into action. Without knowing a single detail about where he came from and without having any access to Urban’s facial expressions, it’s impossible to look at Dredd as a person and, therefore, also impossible to feel for him."

"With no threatening villain and a hero with the emotional range of a block of wood, all that’s really left to the film are the visuals."

-ouch.

All blood no bite according to this review:

'Dredd' Review: This Reboot Is All Blood, No Bite - Fandango.com

"The fact that Urban’s face is almost entirely covered the entire film exacerbates the fact that Dredd never feels human. Unlike most superhero or superhero-like films, Dredd doesn’t get a backstory. He’s simply thrown into action. Without knowing a single detail about where he came from and without having any access to Urban’s facial expressions, it’s impossible to look at Dredd as a person and, therefore, also impossible to feel for him."

"With no threatening villain and a hero with the emotional range of a block of wood, all that’s really left to the film are the visuals."

-ouch.

I'm good with that.

The past few years of movie watching have taught me to manage my expectations.

Start. Boom. Pow. Bang. Ohhh. Ahhhh. End.

i may be wrong, cos it's been abut 35 years, but when i started reading 2000AD i don't think there was a sniff of back story for Dredd for years, until, IIRC, Rico turned up. And "no emotion"? hell-o : it's Judge Dredd. Did you miss that detail? Lack of emotion (and indeed empathy, you could argue) comes w/ the badge.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back