Joker's long revolver build (Batman 1989)

CharlesHouse

I wanted to build Joker's long revolver. I had an idea to take a black airsoft revolver, dremel off the barrel, thread a new one on, and dremel the sight off the original barrel to atrtach to the new one. The prop has been cited as having a 21" barrel, but it is shot to look longer in most shots, so I don't mind it being a bit longer. Here is what I have:

mjXFhbG41IYsfYtutxCterQ.jpg

I purchased a 24" 1/2" threaded rod. I then bought 3 feet of 1/2" PVC to thread it into. I figured this would keep weight down while making the exterior of the barrel plastic as to not upset security at conventions. I want to thread the rod into the PVC, which is a tight fit but doable. I am unsure if there is a tool that would make this easier; I can imagine a screw-on key of some kind that attaches to the other end of the rod, closed at the end and be screwed into the PVC but I am not sure if it exists. The bigger question is how to thread the rod into what was the barrel hole in the frame of the revolver. I figured this would keep the barrel perfectly in line with where the barrel should be, put the PVC flush with the frame, and be sturdier so long as the frame doesn't crack. Without expensive tools, how can I thread or drill the barrel hole to the size of the interior of the rod, rather than the threading?

Seems to me like a waste to wreck your expensive airsoft equipment when you can build huge weapons out of foam (i.e.Briareos' huge rifle/JfCustom foam build page 1).
Just my 2 cents...good luck with your project though!

I have no clue how to make A. a functional revolver, with a rotating cylinder, hammer, and trigger, or even the vague shape of a revolver with no defined parts, from foam, or B. a foam barrel that won't bend at that small depth and 2" long.

The mechanism won't work with a foam build,but foam can be strengthened though to have the toughness of plastic by plastic coating it.
If you want a weapon with functional mechanism,then go with your initial idea,or await suggestions from others.
Good luck for now:thumbsup

I'll do my best to have this make sense.

in order to thread your rod into your pvc, get two of the appropriate nuts for the for the rod. Thread them onto the end furthest from the pvc. The outer, or top, but should end up close to flush with the end of the rod. Now tighten the two nuts together. Now use your wrench on the top nut and it will drive in the rod. For your threading issue into the airsoft piece, you should be able to purchase the proper sized drill bit and tap to suit your needs for a few bucks each separate from a whole kit. You don't need a tap handle if you have a steady hand and either a smaller crescent wrench, combination wrench, or vise grips for the tap. Patience is key with tapping something. Get it started and go a couple of turns tops. Back it out, clean out the shavings and go back in and same thing until you have achieved your depth. A light coating of motor oil or the like on the tap will help. Don't use WD-40 or a silicon based spray. Something petroleum based. Hope this helps.

You could buy a plastic toy pistol and modify it,so you can keep your (expensive) airsoft equipment (forgot to tell you yesterday - sorry).
These toy guns often have the working mechanism you seek.

I'll do my best to have this make sense.

in order to thread your rod into your pvc, get two of the appropriate nuts for the for the rod. Thread them onto the end furthest from the pvc. The outer, or top, but should end up close to flush with the end of the rod. Now tighten the two nuts together. Now use your wrench on the top nut and it will drive in the rod. For your threading issue into the airsoft piece, you should be able to purchase the proper sized drill bit and tap to suit your needs for a few bucks each separate from a whole kit. You don't need a tap handle if you have a steady hand and either a smaller crescent wrench, combination wrench, or vise grips for the tap. Patience is key with tapping something. Get it started and go a couple of turns tops. Back it out, clean out the shavings and go back in and same thing until you have achieved your depth. A light coating of motor oil or the like on the tap will help. Don't use WD-40 or a silicon based spray. Something petroleum based. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the info. What size drill will I need to drill for the center of the rod? Also, where can I get a 1/2-10 tap for a few bucks? I am seeing them for hundreds.

You could buy a plastic toy pistol and modify it,so you can keep your (expensive) airsoft equipment (forgot to tell you yesterday - sorry).
These toy guns often have the working mechanism you seek.

The airsoft is $27. I have been unable to find a source for a quality toy gun that is cheaper.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info. What size drill will I need to drill for the center of the rod?

The airsoft is $27. I have been unable to find a source for a quality toy gun that is cheaper.

Maybe I misunderstood what you wanted to do. You want to cut the barrel off, which should have a hole already, you want to drill and tap the hole in the gun for the threaded rod to screw into and tighten down? Is that correct?

Maybe I misunderstood what you wanted to do. You want to cut the barrel off, which should have a hole already, you want to drill and tap the hole in the gun for the threaded rod to screw into and tighten down? Is that correct?

Yep. Potentially, I could keep the barrel to give it more area to attach to, but it depends what the barrel looks like compared to the PVC.

You're right; 1/2-13. We have a tap for it at work, so that is good. Though it means getting a gun-shaped object into an office building 2 blocks from the White House.

Last edited:
You're right; 1/2-13. We have a tap for it at work, so that is good. Though it means getting a gun-shaped object into an office building 2 blocks from the White House.

For that a 27/64 drill bit should give you 75% threads. During final assembly I would recommend some blue Loc-Tite as well. Hope this helps.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back