Joker Bank Robbery Mask WIP

zombieface95

Hey guys, first time posting here. My name's mike, and I'm 15. I love The Dark Knight, among other things, and I finally decided to show you guys this. I've been reading tons of threads these past few weeks and I was so amazed I was kind of scared to show you my crappy mask... :lol I would love for any of you to give me feedback, and critique my work. Don't worry, I can take it.

Before
DSCF4988.jpg

After
DSCF4994.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
:$
Aw shucks, thanks guys.

@kantgetnun

Yes. After sculpting is completely finished, I am going to cover this in OMOO rubber, and then cover that with fiberglass bandages for a solid mold. I will then make the actual mask out of resin.

Unless anyone has any better suggestions.

I would love for any of you to give me feedback, and critique my work. Don't worry, I can take it.

well, my only critique would be that you post your pics from left to right and not top-down :lol
but your mask looks freaking sweet, i'm looking forward to see the finished result

@kantgetnun

Yes. After sculpting is completely finished, I am going to cover this in OMOO rubber, and then cover that with fiberglass bandages for a solid mold. I will then make the actual mask out of resin.

Unless anyone has any better suggestions.

I might be wrong, but wasnt the actual mask from the movie flexible, i.e. made out of latex? perhaps making a latex-mask would be better than one out of resin

I gotta agree with Mad Mike

also,
I don't think Omoo is a brush on mold rubber
Unless I'm mistaken. It's usually for box molds for small crafts and it has a very low tear strength.

Not the best option for what you want to do.
If you actually want to make it out of resin, I suggest Rebound 25 as it's already Brush on without additives.

also, please continue in this hobby. I wish I learned more of this hobby when I was your age. You have talent and it will only flourish and don't let it go to waste.

Not many younger people on here start with sculpting.

If this is your first mask, you probably want to make a stone (hydrocal preferably) mold. That way you can cast it in latex like Mike suggested.

Good job, keep it up!

looks great, very nice sculpt

i dont know about casting, but a latex/flexible mask would be ideal i'd assume as apposed to a resin/hard mask

nice work nevertheless :)

well, my only critique would be that you post your pics from left to right and not top-down :lol
but your mask looks freaking sweet, i'm looking forward to see the finished result

I might be wrong, but wasnt the actual mask from the movie flexible, i.e. made out of latex? perhaps making a latex-mask would be better than one out of resin

I'm not sure what you mean with the pics. Could you explain it differently maybe?

The actual mask from the movie did have a bit of flex to it. You can see this when he pulls the mask off, but how well would those hold their shape?

I gotta agree with Mad Mike

also,
I don't think Omoo is a brush on mold rubber
Unless I'm mistaken. It's usually for box molds for small crafts and it has a very low tear strength.

Not the best option for what you want to do.
If you actually want to make it out of resin, I suggest Rebound 25 as it's already Brush on without additives.

also, please continue in this hobby. I wish I learned more of this hobby when I was your age. You have talent and it will only flourish and don't let it go to waste.

Not many younger people on here start with sculpting.

Maybe, but I was following this tutorial, as this is my first time doing anything big, and I am in a bit over my head, but it's been a lot of fun!

Thanks for the compliment! I actually just subscribed to you on youtube. haha.

If this is your first mask, you probably want to make a stone (hydrocal preferably) mold. That way you can cast it in latex like Mike suggested.

Good job, keep it up!

This is my first mask. I'm just a bit worried how the latex will hold up, and how well the mask will hold it's shape. :confused
looks great, very nice sculpt

i dont know about casting, but a latex/flexible mask would be ideal i'd assume as apposed to a resin/hard mask

nice work nevertheless :)

Thanks! It might be.

I'm going to take all this into consideration.

Well, you can cast up a latex mask to whatever thickness you desire. Believe me, I've seen latex masks that are way too thick! Typically, masks are either latex, silicone or vinyl. A helmet on the other hand, is a good candidate for resin.

I have latex masks that are over 10 years old and still "hold up". If you are thinking FOAM latex, than no, it won't hold up but casting latex will.

My impression was that the masks in the movie are supposed to be store bought which would most likely be latex or vinyl. But this is totally up to you, it's your project. :)

Have fun!

Well, you can cast up a latex mask to whatever thickness you desire. Believe me, I've seen latex masks that are way too thick! Typically, masks are either latex, silicone or vinyl. A helmet on the other hand, is a good candidate for resin.

I have latex masks that are over 10 years old and still "hold up". If you are thinking FOAM latex, than no, it won't hold up but casting latex will.

My impression was that the masks in the movie are supposed to be store bought which would most likely be latex or vinyl. But this is totally up to you, it's your project. :)

Have fun!

It seems like a good idea, but I think I'm going to stick with the resin. I like that I can kinda beat it up, and not worry about it ripping like latex. It won't be exactly like the movie, but people will recognize it.
Thanks, though!

Last edited:
Thanks, I've been just using my fingers, but the clay still has lines from my fingerprints in it. I'll try the isopropyl alcohol, and wet q-tips. The lighter fluid just kind of scares me. haha

Well, I wasn't very happy with the mask, so I actually started it all over. haha.
I added more clay to the actual head, but took clay away from the cheeks. I made the nose a bit bigger. The only thing I want to change on this one is the mouth. It doesn't look right yet. I'll take better pictures tomorrow. Enjoy!

Hey guys, I wanted to finally knock this thing out and I wanted to see if anyone had any reference pictures that are a good quality. Thanks in advance!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back