Joining Urethane? TDK Gauntlets.

ShaunDark80

Hi

I'm in the process of making some TDK gauntlets. I'm making a mould for the main body and straps, but I'd not sure what to do with the fins/blades.

Ideally I's like the main body to be 40/50 shore urethane rubber, and the fins to be a harder 90 shore urethane plastic, or fibreglass reinforced polyester plastic. The problem is joining the pieces together so that they look nice.

I have some urethane glue, which I've already used on my hood/neck piece, and although it sticks to urethane really well, it is also very messy and dries a nasty yellow colour.

To avoid using glue, and wrecking a relatively expensive amount of urethane in the process, is it possible to cast the blades in a harder plastic, insert them into a silicone mould, and cast the main gauntlet body over them? Will the poured urethane stick/bond to the already hardened piece?

If not, then if I was to join the blades together on a base plate, and again insert this into the mould, with the urethane cast around it, would that be ok, or is the softer urethane likely to split/tear around the harder material?

And finally, with either of these solutions, if I don't get the colour to match up quite right, will plastidip work ok on urethane?

Here's a pic of my current mould. This is just the first draft, into which I've poured some plaster. The plaster gauntlet is currently drying, and will be sanded and filled, before being used as the master for my final mould.

2013-06-30 15.22.21.jpg

Thanks for any advise.

I've seen people on here be more than helpful in just the few days I've been on the board. It's the 4th of July, a lot of people are with family or at parties or traveling...patience. I'm sure someone will come along that can help.

I've used foam urethane and have been able to join pieces that way. Well by painting freshly mixed urtehane and sticking to pieces togetehr (knocking back the foam as it cured so I didn't have a big mess to cut off after.

I think it may depend on the kinds of urethane used though. I was using self to self. But have also slushed a flexible urtehane skin and then backed with foam and the adhesion was good. These were meant to be used together and were from the same company.

You can also use Aqua Seal, its a dive suit sealer it works for urethane. I had a mask made from urethane that had a tear and used Aqua seal and it fixed it right up

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back