Joining the 32" Falcon club

joewhite

Sr Member
I've been on a time crunch with just about everything lately. I leave on a 3-month business trip next week. If you've seen any of my other builds, you'll notice that I make and use laser cut parts. Unfortunately, this weekend will probably be the last time I get to use the cutter. It's been a good three years! :cry

Soooo....I decided to hurry up and get the basic shapes of the Falcon cut before my trip. Mission accomplished! Man this thing is huge!!!!

I used Joshua Maruska's drawings, imported them to the program I use and made vector templates from them. As with most Falcon builds, I'm taking a different approach. Due to the table size, I had to break the body up into three parts. It's ok, though. If it doesn't work out, I'll just have to cut a new hull by hand. I also incorporated a few guide notches for some parts. Oh, and there are 38 ribs in all! To tell you the truth, if I could have only done the ribs, it would have still been worth it! Call me lazy, it's ok! :lol

32mf-0001.jpg

All in all, I used one 72" x 24" sheet of .060" styrene (cut up into 24" x 20" pieces) for all the parts.

PM me if you would like a copy of the cutting file. I have to warn that although I have spent a lot of time on these parts, there may still be some errors. I think it's a good start though. BTW, I can provide drawings with and without the 3-part body.

32MF-CuttingTemplates-preview.jpg

Oh, and I misspelled Joshua Maruska's name in the preview above. I'll correct it later.

Joe

Last edited:
Got it.

BTW, The files are free. However, just realized that I saved it incorrectly and won't be able to save it correctly until Monday. In the meantime, anyone who wants it....send PM your email address to me and I will email the file then.

Joe

Looking good Joe,..just to quote Frank, who put it better than I could...

"Looks GREAT!!!!!
Welcome to the WHAT THE F&%K WAS I THINKING CLUB.

hahah

Frank "

Still makes me chuckle that...

Anyway, more pics when you got 'em please..

Phil

Aurora, I'll be gluing the 3 parts together. The table was just a bit too small to fit the whole main shape.

Phil, I remember that comment by Frank....plus I read through your thread every so often and see it everytime. LOL! I won't actually begin assembling anything for some time....but I might put some pics up of some of the test pieces I made for the hex tubes. It shows the notches I made into the parts.
Oh, and I might bug you later on about the lighting and hull sheets.

Thanks for looking!

Joe

I wouldn't say that Cody. Since I don't have a vector cutting table (i.e. usually a honeycomb layer of metal to lift the material off of the flat table), I can't really cut all the way through. It's almost like the cutter scribes and I still snap it out. Therefore a lot of plastic chips are left...more so in the recesses of this particular model and around the notches. So while it is nice to do it this way, it's not super clean. Not complaining, though.

I don't know what we were thinking!!!! :lol

Joe

what are these "maruska drawings?

BTW, this looks amazing. I dream to someday be a part of this club.

Are you collecting up the kits needed for the greeblies? Or are you going to scratch them?

Hey joe Looking good I sent you a pm for the files. Astroboy the are some drawings of the 32" made up that are pretty accurate or I should say at least close to what everyone perceives as accurate. You can find them over at the millennium falcon builders group on yahoo or I think the also have them over at studio scale modelers forum.

Astroboy, my apologies for never replying. I was in Ohio at the time of your post and got out of touch with theRPF for a little bit. Like McGraph said, they are based off of Joshua Maruska's drawings from the Yahoo Falcon club. I have been collecting kits for some time now. I think I am missing 3-4 kits from the top of the hull. I haven't fully dedicated myself to the bottom of the hull yet but I'm sure a lot of the same kits are used.

Guys, I sent the drawings to everyone who has requested them recently. If I missed anyone, plmk. All I ask in return is that ya'll share your progress here at TheRPF.

crackerjazz, no prob man, that's what forums like this are for, right? As for the laser cutter....it wasn't mine...it belonged to one of the shops next door from where I worked. I had full access to it but unfortunately, I had to change job locations recently. Worst move, ever! :lol

Joe

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back