Joining the 32" Falcon club

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by joewhite, Apr 14, 2012.

1. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

I've been on a time crunch with just about everything lately. I leave on a 3-month business trip next week. If you've seen any of my other builds, you'll notice that I make and use laser cut parts. Unfortunately, this weekend will probably be the last time I get to use the cutter. It's been a good three years! :cry

Soooo....I decided to hurry up and get the basic shapes of the Falcon cut before my trip. Mission accomplished! Man this thing is huge!!!!

[​IMG]

I used Joshua Maruska's drawings, imported them to the program I use and made vector templates from them. As with most Falcon builds, I'm taking a different approach. Due to the table size, I had to break the body up into three parts. It's ok, though. If it doesn't work out, I'll just have to cut a new hull by hand. I also incorporated a few guide notches for some parts. Oh, and there are 38 ribs in all! To tell you the truth, if I could have only done the ribs, it would have still been worth it! Call me lazy, it's ok! :lol

All in all, I used one 72" x 24" sheet of .060" styrene (cut up into 24" x 20" pieces) for all the parts.

PM me if you would like a copy of the cutting file. I have to warn that although I have spent a lot of time on these parts, there may still be some errors. I think it's a good start though. BTW, I can provide drawings with and without the 3-part body.

[​IMG]

Oh, and I misspelled Joshua Maruska's name in the preview above. I'll correct it later.

Joe

2. Jarvis B

Jarvis B Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

PM Sent

3. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

Got it.

BTW, The files are free. However, just realized that I saved it incorrectly and won't be able to save it correctly until Monday. In the meantime, anyone who wants it....send PM your email address to me and I will email the file then.

Joe

4. asemblyrequired

asemblyrequired Well-Known Member

oh crap that is great...pm sent. yes i need one more thing on the drawing table i guess..

-james

5. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

Joe I sent a PM man when you get a chance......
    thanks again! Looking forward to watching yours come
    alive!:thumbsup

6. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Yet another nice set of blueprints. Are you planning on getting the main piece cut by using one sheet?

7. tk1608

tk1608 Sr Member

Looking good Joe,..just to quote Frank, who put it better than I could...

"Looks GREAT!!!!!
    Welcome to the WHAT THE F&%K WAS I THINKING CLUB.

hahah

Frank "

Still makes me chuckle that...

Anyway, more pics when you got 'em please..

Phil

8. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

Aurora, I'll be gluing the 3 parts together. The table was just a bit too small to fit the whole main shape.

Phil, I remember that comment by Frank....plus I read through your thread every so often and see it everytime. LOL! I won't actually begin assembling anything for some time....but I might put some pics up of some of the test pieces I made for the hex tubes. It shows the notches I made into the parts.
    Oh, and I might bug you later on about the lighting and hull sheets.

Thanks for looking!

Joe

9. JBReplicas

JBReplicas Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

you're off to a flying start, your parts look very clean, unlike mine haha, what were we thinking? :facepalm

10. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

I wouldn't say that Cody. Since I don't have a vector cutting table (i.e. usually a honeycomb layer of metal to lift the material off of the flat table), I can't really cut all the way through. It's almost like the cutter scribes and I still snap it out. Therefore a lot of plastic chips are left...more so in the recesses of this particular model and around the notches. So while it is nice to do it this way, it's not super clean. Not complaining, though.

I don't know what we were thinking!!!! :lol

Joe

11. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

Oh and the files will be emailed tonight.

Joe

Tsophika likes this.
  12. trooper

trooper Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

thanks for the file joe.....gave ya some rep points :)

13. Simple

Simple Well-Known Member

Great files Joe; thanks for sharing!

C

14. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

Doh! Oh yeah, I sent all the emails already.

Thanks guys and no problem! I'm glad I could help!

Joe

15. asemblyrequired

asemblyrequired Well-Known Member

Joe great stuff . I almost didn't want to open it

-james

16. VaderArmor

VaderArmor Member

message sent for files

17. astroboy

astroboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

what are these "maruska drawings?

BTW, this looks amazing. I dream to someday be a part of this club.

Are you collecting up the kits needed for the greeblies? Or are you going to scratch them?

18. McGraph

McGraph Active Member

Hey joe Looking good I sent you a pm for the files. Astroboy the are some drawings of the 32" made up that are pretty accurate or I should say at least close to what everyone perceives as accurate. You can find them over at the millennium falcon builders group on yahoo or I think the also have them over at studio scale modelers forum.

19. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Wow, thanks for sharing, joewhite! PM sent. By the way, what happened to your laser cutter?

20. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

Astroboy, my apologies for never replying. I was in Ohio at the time of your post and got out of touch with theRPF for a little bit. Like McGraph said, they are based off of Joshua Maruska's drawings from the Yahoo Falcon club. I have been collecting kits for some time now. I think I am missing 3-4 kits from the top of the hull. I haven't fully dedicated myself to the bottom of the hull yet but I'm sure a lot of the same kits are used.

Guys, I sent the drawings to everyone who has requested them recently. If I missed anyone, plmk. All I ask in return is that ya'll share your progress here at TheRPF.

crackerjazz, no prob man, that's what forums like this are for, right? As for the laser cutter....it wasn't mine...it belonged to one of the shops next door from where I worked. I had full access to it but unfortunately, I had to change job locations recently. Worst move, ever! :lol

Joe

21. Cadeus

Cadeus Sr Member

Hi, Joe White! :) I just found this thread. I guess it was the recent bump, but I am glad I did. I sent you a PM to request the drawing you did for the parts template. I am really busy on another model, right now, but I plan to join the WTF group in about a month. I don't have 2K for the donors, so I am planning to scratch-build every square mm. It ought to be a lot of fun. :) Since your back, I hope to see some more progress, soon! Take care.

22. BrundelFly

BrundelFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking good!!

You have me motivated to dust off mine!!
    here she is!!

[​IMG]

Yep. She has landing gear.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  23. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

Wow, thanks guys! Ben, I sent ya those files. Can't wait to see your jump into this model.

Frank, wow man, that looks awesome! I always wish you guys wouldn't paint them. :) They look so cool with all the exposed kit parts and material!

I actually pulled the laser cut panels out and started playing with them. I plan on starting by tacking on the greeblies to the 1" side wall strips to start testing the length and size of my cutouts. Should be fun.

Joe

24. Cadeus

Cadeus Sr Member

Thanks, Joe. I am really eager! :behave

25. daverep

daverep Active Member

Joe...test those sidewalls soon as that's almost where I am! :lol I can honestly say that those drawings are a HUGE help! So THANK YOU!!

You had mentioned in an email about working on the docking tunnel side walls...you still wanna do that?

Going to try and get a bunch of progress accomplished on mine this weekend and hopefully start a thread.

When are you going to post some pics? Not rushing you by any means! :popcorn

Dave

26. Darth_Pain

Darth_Pain Well-Known Member

Sweet! I'll be watching this closely. I love these threads! I learn something new with every one of them.

27. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

You're welcome, Dave! I want to pick up where I left off but first I need to get through the next two weeks. I've got a pile of things coming up at work.
    Once those things are done, I will break out the strips and show where I am at.

Joe

28. daverep

daverep Active Member

Work...yeah, I know what THAT is! Trying to get in as much building as I can before I get insanely busy again. Nothing like not having a day off for about 4 months.

Just PM me or shoot me an email if/when you want to work on some of this pattern stuff! I might play around in the meantime.
    Dave

29. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

Frank, thanks for returning the motivation to dust off this project. Not much to look at still but here's what I did the last two days. Luckily my plate is less full these days....hopefully for a good while. I don't have room in my current house and may have to build a carrying case for this as well due to me having to move every few years (military). Nevertheless, I got the itch to continue with this so here is my recent progress.

Here are most of the parts for the basic body. About 70 parts will make it up NOT including the 1-inch sidewalls and inner support located in the middle of the pic. Not pictured are the mandibles and the 1-inch square and round aluminum tubing that will make up the armature. These parts alone have already given me an idea of how much this thing could potentially weigh! I'm shooting for under 25 pounds if I can help it!
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the way I designed the hex tunnel boxes. The increasing side angles on the three ribs follows the curve of the hull. I calculated the crap out of this area! Hopefully it'll save me time like I envisioned and not bite me in the butt!
    [​IMG]

Again, not much. However, between Frank's last pic and his comment about how most builders stop after the drawing phase, a fire has been lit under my ***. Let's see how long it stays lit, job permitting! :lol

Joe

struschie likes this.
  30. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

Can someone recommend a program for the following? I want to draw the dome hull in a 3d program using the drawings I have been working on. Ultimately, I would like to be able to flatten the drawing so I can have a template that I can cut out and transfer onto the ribs. I know the curvature brings some complications....maybe it can't be done, I don't know. But if anyone knows something that might work, please let me know, I will learn it. I have Autocad, which I sorta mess with, and Rhino, which I just got. Any ideas?

Joe

31. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

Joejooo! Looks like your ready to kick this off!:thumbsup

32. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

Michael,
    For sure! You can only plan for so long before you have to give it a shot, huh?

Joe

33. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

Shoot I wouldn't know that's where I spend the least
    amount of time!:lol

34. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Hey, Joe, try sending Nwerke a PM, maybe he knows a way to flatten it in Rhino, which he is using as well.

I don't understand either how others do the hull using the simple rib and cover method. The way I see it - theoretically, with that method it should end up looking like an umbrella. And put in more ribs and it should become just a finer umbrella and still require sanding. But just look at Phil's build and that does not seem to be case. The problem didn't even arise, it seemed. I guess Phil's method of making rib pairs covered with a styrene strip really helped in preventing sag. Still, for the styrene sheet cover to bend both crosswise and lengthwise at the same time to form a clean dome is really strange but I suppose it just works.

35. dsp5500

dsp5500 Well-Known Member

Here Joe, This is the biggest part of the top dome unrolled from your .AI profile drawings. I Had to make them water tight by joining the nodes but other than that it's your original drawing. See if you can use it.

36. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

I can tell! You build them speeders up so fast and they look perfect!

Thanks, CJ! I was guessing that the .040" sheeting for the hull is just strong enough not too sag. However, I know JB was having sagging problems on his recently.

DSP, dude you rock! Also, thanks for the nudging me towards Rhino! I was going insane with AutoCAD. I do like it but I just haven't taken the time to figure it out. I like Rhino so far.

I'm still gonna figure out how to flatten the drawing like that but thank you so much for this! I won't pretend that I'll have success the first time.....I may eventually have to do pie slices as well.

BTW, we were discussing whether or not ILM might have vac-formed the hull. I'm looking for good shots of the hole in the hull underneath the port side blast marks. Has anyone noticed ribbing underneath? From what I can tell, Maruska was correct in stating that somewhere around .040" was used for the hull sheeting. If sagging is a common problem, the lack of ribs in that section of the ILM bird would also have been a problem. Unless they post-cut that hole and also took sections of the ribs with it?

Joe

37. BrundelFly

BrundelFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I guessing it was vacuum formed Acrylic, like they used on the larger 5 footer.

I didn't have a vacuum former that big, and I had Tim helping me, so I did it his way.

I have a picture of the falcon with the rear engine plate off, and they are PULLING the rear quarter panel detail sets out from the hull. Yes, they were removable, and you only see about 70 % of them when they are installed.

Im not doing a "naner naner"
    It's just not my pic, but if I get permission to post it I will.

I can at least provide the info in conveys for now.

38. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

Great info, Frank! It has to be vac-formed if the pit holes are removable.

Joe

39. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

Oh, and here is a pretty good shot of that blast mark hole from Shadowman's thread.

EDIT: And coincidentally, you can also see the bottom of the rear-starboard pit hole Ease is working on through the engine panel hole.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  40. TK9999

TK9999 New Member

Hello Joe, I always dream to build my falcon also, if it's still possible to get your file I will be very grateful

Thank you for your enthusiastic post :thumbsup

41. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

PM me with your email address and I will send them to you.

Joe

42. TK9999

TK9999 New Member

Pm sent [​IMG]

43. dirtydave

dirtydave Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks like your off to a great start Joe.I'm jealous,would love to give one a go,but a little to pricey in kit parts for me.I can't wait to see more.

Dave

44. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

Dave,
    I'd rather you pray for me than to be jealous! Don't know why I chose to go with this build first! LOL! Hey, I'll be casting everything once I get to that stage. If you need parts for it, maybe we can work together if you decide to tackle this in the future. I have about 85-90% of the kits.

Ok, now I have a question for all those who have endured the madness of this build. I'm looking at how the equator was assembled. Maruska's drawings show the simplified side-view (top pic below) with a recessed equator wall and the top and bottom plates protruding outwards, as well as the curved hull.

However, I see that ILM, and even those who have used Maruska's drawings, built the center hull like the picture on the bottom - with 90-degree corners and only the curved hulls protruding outwards.

Is this a mistake by Maruska? Or was the recessed wall done so that the 1-inch strips with the donor parts would sit at the appropriate depth once attached?

I'm comfortable with the latter theory. However I want to make sure since I see more "boxy" center hulls than recessed. I'd hate to glue in the equator walls one way and have to disassemble them after I find out I miscalculated this area. Any insight would be appreciated!

Joe

[​IMG]

45. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

Another strange area is where the port side mandible meets the curved equator. The two, more popular blueprints, Maruska's and StudioScale.com's, do not show how the mandible wall extends into the curved section.

In this drawing from StudioScale.com, you can see that the curved hull retracts at the point where the mandible and the circumference of the hull meet.

[​IMG]

But in this pic of the ILM bird, you can clearly see that the mandible and equator wall meet farther back from the top hull retraction. Hope that all makes sense....the deeper I dig the crazier this build becomes! Haha!

[​IMG]

Joe

46. JBReplicas

JBReplicas Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Joe, my hull top skins as I call them, overlap in a similar way to the first image, I also understand that once the plating is fitted the edges of the plating also overlap the edge very slightly, again that is just my understanding and what I am going for.

47. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

It's a tricky build, I'll admit even this early but I am determined. Nothing I can't learn, understand and apply.

So, since I am working on the port mandible sidewall, I decided I would post the parts map. kbilly put this composite photo up at SSMs sometime back along with some coloring. I added the lettering, some coloring and the missing Karl part. If anyone has any leads on the un-id'd parts, please share. Thanks!

Joe

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  48. McGraph

McGraph Active Member

Hey thanks for the part map. I actually probably have all the kit id's there but I love the format makes it a lot more legible then some of the part maps I have where the have been abbreviated. All take a look through what I have and hopefully come up with some more Id's people have found no promises though.

49. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

Looks like I may have some bad news! I hope not but I think it may be true. I'm coming to discover that the Maruska files may be off!

I slapped together some of the port mandible wall parts. Now, they aren't in their absolute correct position vertically, but the horizontal spacing is really close. The last pencil line on the left side, underneath the Gepard gun, is the tip of the mandible. I measured 13 1/2" inches from that line to the left edge of the Porsche engine part. A little longer than the MR Falcon mandible measurements. I think they measured 13 1/8". So I was pretty close considering I took measurements from some of my unmodified parts instead of tacking them on to the test strip.

So, it turns out that the same length of mandible on Maruska's drawings only measure 12 1/2"! Dammit! From the tip of the mandibles to the back of the ship measures 30 1/2".....a little shorter than the Studioscale.com plans which measure 33.74".

This sucks! I apologize to all those who are using the plans I made but I used the source material which were known to be reliable plans. Someone please correct me if I am wrong!

Joe

[​IMG]

50. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

On one good note, I verified that the three barrel gun underneath the Flak 51 part is from the Yamato or Musashi. The base of the guns sticks out a mm or so from the edge on each side. Only these two kits have that feature on those guns.

Joe