John's Khaki jacket/vest from Farscape.

jason1976

Sr Member
Hey all, Ok you know the khaki jacket/vest that john wears in the fist season of farscape? (I don't have any caps, and can't get any right now. :( ) Am the only one that thinks that, that look like a found item? If I'm not, has anyone IDed it, or have any ideas of were I might find one? If not, how about a pattern, or something? :)

I would love to do Johns leather gear from the later season, but I don't know anyplace to get that stuff, and I don't know anyone who could make it for me. (pluse I could stand to loose a few ponds.) So I figured the khaki outfit would be a nice place holder. :)

I would love to do Johns leather gear from the later season, but I don't know anyplace to get that stuff, and I don't know anyone who could make it for me.
Heres my Crichton costume....
IMG_0860.jpg

The company I got my stuff from is called pendragon.
http://www.pendragoncostumes.com/
Scott

I would love to do Johns leather gear from the later season, but I don't know anyplace to get that stuff, and I don't know anyone who could make it for me.
Heres my Crichton costume....
IMG_0860.jpg

The company I got my stuff from is called pendragon.
http://www.pendragoncostumes.com/
Scott

!!!!!WOW!!!!! That is one of the best John costumes I've ever seen. It really is outstanding. :) Unfortunately that place is WAY out of my price range. I would NEVER be able to afford that. :( Thanks for the info though, and thanks for sharing the pics of your great costume. :)

So, does anyone have any ideas for that Khaki jacket?

Great costume. I always loved the look of the vest and the jacket.

And yeah, that place isn't cheap. But the stuff looks good to me.

I did some lite searching for the khaki vest a few years ago thinking it was a found item. Unfortunatly after pages and pages of fishing vests I never came across anything with so few pockets and such a thick collar. I wouldn't be surprised if it was made for the show as most everything else seems to have been.

I did some lite searching for the khaki vest a few years ago thinking it was a found item. Unfortunatly after pages and pages of fishing vests I never came across anything with so few pockets and such a thick collar. I wouldn't be surprised if it was made for the show as most everything else seems to have been.

Did you just search for vests, because I've always thought the vest, was just his jacket with the sleeves removed. My dad used to were a jacket with zip off sleeves, for years.

bc92.jpg

I just looked for vests. I didn't go too crazy in the search as it was more of an "I'm bored and need something to do" thing. I think you're on the right track with the coat idea. The whole thing seems to be lined, not just the collar.

Oculars10.jpg

PulseRifle14.jpg

I'd definately say the vest is just the Jacket with the sleeves removed. Maybe it's one of those designs where the sleeves have a hidden zipper that allows you to remvoe them?

ARG! Wall looking for pics of something else, I stumbled across a site that seems to own the real coat from the show. they have one so-so pic of it up, handing on a hanger. I was going to contact them for all the info I could get, and maybe some more pics. however, as I looked for their contact info on the page, and it said, to feel free to contact them, but that they would discard any, and all e-mail requesting More photos, or information about any of the items on there site. :( ARG! so close, and yet so far. :(

Heres a link to the site if you want to take a look.

http://xenamuseum.googlepages.com/thefarscapewing

Oh, and there selling the Zhaan items, so you might want to check that out. In the forsale part of there site.

Last edited:
I'm sure Magnoli at Magnoli Clothiers would make you one. Looks like a pretty simple design, the neck looks like it could just be a replacement waistband for a flight jacket.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I just took a look at there site, and there stuff is WAY out of my price tag. For those prices, I could get a very nice replica of John's leather pieces.

Thisis a very simple jacket, possibly either a found itme, or a modified found item.

It's so simple that I would say it was a custom job by the costume department. Nylon, a few zippers and some knit wool. I have never seen a surplus item like it, espescially with the big collar. It looks like a cross between the WEP (Stargate SG-1) jacket and the Luftwaffe grey leather flight jacket.

Yeah, know. Now that you mention the Flight-jacket thing, it actually looks a lot like then old pleahter Bomber jacket I had in the 80's.

More then the big collar, the part that throws me, si the "butt flap" (the part that hands done, just in the back) I've never seen that on a coat before. I'm not saying there not out there, I'm just saying I've never seen it. It would be an easy thing to do, if you where making your own though.

My Mum, and i do most of my scratch built costume pieces . I do all the designing, fabric selection, cutting, and what not, and she just does the sowing. Only she keeps saying she can't (or wont) do Zippers. So this coat is out. :(

I did notice, that in the pic of the coat hanging on a hanger, at the above link, there doesn't appear to be a tab in the back of any kind. (as in maker, brand, or size.) Witch lends to the idea that it was custom made for the show.

To be honest, on the hanger it's really pretty ugly. :lol but I still want one. :)

I sell suits for a living, I can tell you from 7 years worth of experience that everything looks like crap on a hanger. If you are semi-decent with a sewing machine you could make this yourself, no problem. The hardest part would be finding the knit that would be wide enough for the collar. And if you wanted to wear it as a jacket instead of a costume, the lining can be a bit tricky, basically making a jacket inside of a jacket. I have relined coats myself, but I always had the old lining to help me along when I made my pattern.

Do you think perhaps that the one pictured on the website is a stunt jacket, higher cut in the front to allow for a rigging belt of some sort? The whole front looks haphazard, it doesn't look straight at all. I don't think I would want a replica of this jacket, and I don't think I would base a pattern off of it. Do you have any screencaps of the waistline when it is on Crichton?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back