alexbailey

Active Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is one of my favourite props, I purchased an amber orb/ball for the top of the cane, I considered attempting making one myself however I concluded it wasn't worth it. I'm not planning to attempt a 100% accurate version, for example I don't like the large rubber tip found on the original and plan on making a slimmer metal tip and I may go for a bare wood finish to the cane as the painted finish in the film is not to my liking.

I have already finished making my first version of the cane, however I got the proportions and scaling wrong and the cane is too narrow. In this thread I will show the process of making first cane and then hopefully a more accurate one.

Then the cane section poses an interesting challenge its a pretty unusual shape I considered various options for making it. But to achieve the asymmetric and complex curves of the shaft, I was going to need to 3D model the cane, followed by CNC machine the profile. Using some pictures of an original prop being sold at auction for scaling while making adjustments for my height, the 3d model came out well.

This version of the model is a later more accurate version, initially I modelled it to narrow and the proportion of the cane didn't look right, as you will see in future posts.

Screenshot 2022-05-21 at 21.43.54.png


The shaft of the cane is spilt into 3 section. In order to fit them on the rotary table of my CNC machine. Steel insert will be glued into the end of each section and threaded rod used to hold each section together. I made sure in the modelling that the joins are circular and concentric therefore the orientation of the each section at the joins is not important.
Screenshot 2022-05-21 at 21.44.18.png
 
Last edited:

alexbailey

Active Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Steel insert are used to join the section together, I used 10mm diameter steel rod, drilled and tapped M6 through the middle and finished with a few grooves in the outside to help when the insert is glued in. The inserts are longer than is required, after gluing the end each section are faced to length, leaving the wood and steel flush.

IMG_0832.jpg
IMG_0834.jpg
 

alexbailey

Active Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Here the Inserts glued in with epoxy, and then faced off on the lathe so the wood and steel are flush, help to give a good surface to attach each piece to the CNC. On the right show the threaded rod used to attach each section.

IMG_0950.jpeg
IMG_0960.jpeg
IMG_0963.jpeg


The top of the cane an insert to pushed further in to provide a mounting point for the amber top of the cane.

IMG_0837.jpg


Here's the solution I used to ensure the amber orb has a mechanical attachment to the cane, didn't want to use glue.

However I will glue the aluminium adapter to the amber orb. Considered screwing it into the amber but didn't want to risk damaging or the screw being visible in the final prop. none the less this gives me plenty of flexibility the modify the cane and still use the same amber piece. As with the wood sections M6 threaded rod is used to secure the amber orb to the cane.

IMG_0957.jpeg
IMG_0961.jpeg
IMG_0955.jpeg
IMG_0956.jpeg


Here's the orb mounted to the prototype cane, the one that is too narrow. I will show the machining process in the next post, sorting through my photos.

IMG_0968.jpeg
 

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
Top