John Hammond Jurassic Park costume

Dr Jones Sr

Sr Member
I did a search on the John Hammond costume, though there are 40 threads about his cane and two threads about his hat I can't find a thread talking about the costume itself.

I'm just now beginning to look around, and I have very little to go on.

I hope that you who have delved into this subject will provide more detailed insights and better screen shots and auction photos.

Here are some screen shots:

HzEmFZ2.jpg

NTgpNO3.png

BswRsux.jpg

JKdeoPT.jpg

Items from Prop Store auctions; the shirt appears to be an ordinary Guayabera (why-ah-veh-rah) shirt.

fVpPwcY.jpg

qj1lyIo.jpg

The glasses:

qlcKo24.jpg

His watch is interesting, not so much the watch itself but the decorative plates on either side of the watch:

0LnoYQM.jpg

Native American jewellers usually call these "watch tips". I have a pair of silver & turquoise Navajo watch tips that belonged to my father so I'm familiar with them.

Here's a more-or-less similar set of watch tips, in "orange spiny oyster". I've contacted a Navaho jeweller about having a set like Hammond's made. Not sure what Hammond's jewels are, Navajo use "orange spiny oyster", "tiger eye", and jasper, all of which vary quite a bit. All can look similar to Hammond's.

2S3id88.jpg

Last edited:
Glasses appear to be Silhouette M7097 inferring from the stencilled "Austria" and the fact that the color code V 6054 matches one used by Silhouette.

Thanks! Looks like the exact glasses.

About the shirt, the closest I've found are the shirts by Panabrisa, which have the tucks only. Many Cuban and Mexican Guayabera shirts have embroidery.

Here are the colours Panabrisa offers. Note the difference between the offwhite/bone/ivory (warm white) and the bright stark almost bluish white (cool white)

L3hOcwj.jpg

The difference can be seen here, at 3:47 when an aide wearing a pure/cool white shirt whispers in the ear of Hammond wearing an offwhite/warm white shirt

pardon the low-quality screen shot

kXoiIJT.jpg

Here's a more-or-less similar set of watch tips, in "orange spiny oyster". I've contacted a Navaho jeweller about having a set like Hammond's made. Not sure what Hammond's jewels are, Navajo use "orange spiny oyster", "tiger eye", and jasper, all of which vary quite a bit. All can look similar to Hammond's.

Given the theme of his cane and the whole park, I am quite sure it is supposed to be/look like amber.

There was a website back in the day called watchesinmovies on which one guy identified the watch as Pulsar V336-7040 (with a custom made bracelet). I am not 100% on board with this identification, but it is very similar watch.

You might be right about the amber. However if you look at the (admittedly low-resolution) closeup of Hammond's watch you'll note that the mounts have swirls of orange and white precisely as are seen with Orange Spiny Oyster mounts. Does amber occur with those milky swirls?

With costume items I always start by looking for the "real world" item or its equivalent. I would have to see convincing evidence (such as a high-resolution closeup photo) to convince me that it's not a Native American set of "watch tips" set with Orange Spiny Oyster.

BTW the gap between the "watch tips" has an ordinary hinged/sprung metal-link watch band, just shorter than usual.

I've found some of the glasses in an alternate brown tortoise color. May be very difficult to find in the exact right color as they are 25 to 30 years old. But I imagine 99.99% of onlookers wouldn't notice.

Attachments

• 20220322_184607.jpg
    20220322_184607.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 289
Well much progress on the Hammond costume.

Here's the closest shirt I could find, by Panabrisa in Panama. The glasses, a vintage inexpensive pair from Ebay, are pretty close. I had non-prescription lenses put in.

The cane is from our member AWOL007. He gave me the pick of a run of tops and shafts, this was my favourite.

5EPRy30.jpg

Here's the whole outfit. The hat is also from AWOL007, the weave looks great but to me the brim seems a bit wide.

The pants were super cheap, nurses' pants on the clearance rack at a local uniform supply shop.

The shoes are incredibly comfortable and were also inexpensive, used, on Ebay. Seems that the style is sometimes called "driving shoes".

The signet ring on my little finger is my mother's High School class ring. The watch band is Navajo, I'm still on the lookout for one with amber spiny oyster mounts. I might re-mount this one myself.

EzAhvCX.jpg

Attachments

• Dx3Y9qI.jpg
    Dx3Y9qI.jpg
    832.4 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:
OK, you did it. You got me. I cruised through looking at the pics, just glancing at the text and then saw the comment above "That looks fantastic, nice job." and realized I had gone right past your personal pose thinking it was a clip from the movie. No bigger compliment can I give.

Thanks!

And now that I've seen a few examples of your work GreenMachines it's high praise indeed. Your work is fantastic! You go the extra mile with makeup effects that honestly I'm too lazy to do.

About the Hammond costume I would like to say "I spared no expense" but actually this was one of the least-expensive outifts I've put together.

And it's a super comfortable costume! Which I prize, now that I'm in my 60s.

Thanks!

And now that I've seen a few examples of your work GreenMachines it's high praise indeed. Your work is fantastic! You go the extra mile with makeup effects that honestly I'm too lazy to do.

About the Hammond costume I would like to say "I spared no expense" but actually this was one of the least-expensive outifts I've put together.

And it's a super comfortable costume! Which I prize, now that I'm in my 60s.
Cosplay makes our OCD on details shine like the skill we always claimed it was.

First time out for my John Hammond, at Monsterpalooza in Pasadena California.

Many thanks to AWOL007 for the cane and hat!

As a cosplayer to whom props are ancillary to the costume, it was the first time for me that a prop was the star. Everybody wanted to see that cane! Everyone asked if the insect was real (it is) and several people took closeup photos of the amber egg.

As I walked around people asked me "have you seen all the fullsize dinosaurs?" and eventually I found the booth. The guy had been commissioned to build a number of them for some kind of live-action show. The smaller ones were designed to have operators inside, the huge Triceratops was animatronic.

bvGbrB7.jpg

Last edited:
Dr. Jones Sr:
I thought I'd share my efforts at both John Hammond and Dr. Henry Jones, Sr. By honest coincidence I, too, chose these characters to cosplay, although I must bow to your experience and expertise and in the case of Jones, I'm heavily indebted to you for all the information you have posted on the character and his costume. I'm a great deal shorter than both you and Connery, but I think I've managed to capture the outlines of the character. I hope you approve.

Regards,

Barry

Attachments

• 229332853_10226566897579523_5441086880281547013_n.jpg
    229332853_10226566897579523_5441086880281547013_n.jpg
    463.6 KB · Views: 201
  • Dr Henry Jones Sr first draft.jpg
    Dr Henry Jones Sr first draft.jpg
    752.2 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
You might be right about the amber. However if you look at the (admittedly low-resolution) closeup of Hammond's watch you'll note that the mounts have swirls of orange and white precisely as are seen with Orange Spiny Oyster mounts. Does amber occur with those milky swirls?
Could be butterscotch amber,that can be milky looking? Actually watching it now as well...

Dr. Jones Sr:
I thought I'd share my efforts at both John Hammond and Dr. Henry Jones, Sr. By honest coincidence I, too, chose these characters to cosplay, although I must bow to your experience and expertise and in the case of Jones, I'm heavily indebted to you for all the information you have posted on the character and his costume. I'm a great deal shorter than both you and Connery, but I think I've managed to capture the outlines of the character. I hope you approve.

Regards,

Barry
Thanks for the kudos!
Your Hammond looks better than mine does, that's for sure, and your Dr Jones looks bang-on too.

I've been waffling over buying a new suit. Now that I've gone back and taken a specific look at only the outdoor natural sunlight scenes, I see that my suit's colour is off, being too taupe and not tan enough. My suit does resemble the indoor scenes' colour however so it might just have to do for now.

It's also strange how dark the suit looks in some scenes, how light in others.

Well much progress on the Hammond costume.

Here's the closest shirt I could find, by Panabrisa in Panama. The glasses, a vintage inexpensive pair from Ebay, are pretty close. I had non-prescription lenses put in.

The cane is from our member AWOL007. He gave me the pick of a run of tops and shafts, this was my favourite.

View attachment 1577240

Here's the whole outfit. The hat is also from AWOL007, the weave looks great but to me the brim seems a bit wide.

The pants were super cheap, nurses' pants on the clearance rack at a local uniform supply shop.

The shoes are incredibly comfortable and were also inexpensive, used, on Ebay. Seems that the style is sometimes called "driving shoes".

The signet ring on my little finger is my mother's High School class ring. The watch band is Navajo, I'm still on the lookout for one with amber spiny oyster mounts. I might re-mount this one myself.

View attachment 1577244
At first glance I thought this was a Richard Attenborough costume test from the original production. Nice work!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back