1. Welcome to the Project Runs Forum!

This forum is intended for interest gauging and active runs. Due to the transient nature of this forum, please keep all research and ongoing discussion in one of our main forums so your information is not lost.

Only Premium Members can start a new run.

Click here for details on becoming a Premium Member.

Click here for the complete Classifieds Guidelines.

Dismiss Notice

Service Joatrash FX 3d print service

Discussion in 'Project Runs' started by JOATRASH FX, Aug 28, 2015.

1. JOATRASH FX

JOATRASH FX Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hello all,

I've resisted the idea of doing a 3d print service for a long time now since I'm generally so busy doing my own kits, but since I don't have and mega-projects lined up for my machine and I could use a little extra cash to pay for supplies in the next few months due to a recent domestic breakup, I'm hereby opening my services to print a few models for folks.

For those that don't know my work, the prints I do usually get comments indicating they are among the best people have seen done on a prosumer machine and on occasion I can even surpass some commercial places. (The trick is in choosing the right material and settings as well as having a well-tuned machine.)

Facts:

• Cost: $8-10/ print hour including shipping (longer prints will be a little cheaper, it also depends on how much setup I have to do. A typical pistol kit would take around 15-25 hours, a helmet or rifle can go to 80-200 or beyond)
    • Model integrity: I will slice the model for you and set it up for printing, but I don't have time to fix major errors or for remodeling low-res files. File quality directly affects the print sometimes.
    • Rights: You are responsible for ensuring that you have permission to print the model you provide. I reserve the right to refuse to print any model at my discretion.
    • Material: I only use PLA of the highest quality. Glue it with Acrifix 116 (acrylic cement) Color is usually silver, gold or some other metallic depending on availability because that's what give the best results in the way that I print. I can also do limited transparent parts. The prints I do generally only require sanding and spray-filler/primer and no paint-on resins to get them perfectly smooth.
    • Turnaround: Generally 2-4 weeks to manufacture depending on schedule and size of object. (A full helmet might take longer, a typical pistol-size object should be done in around two.)
    • Resolution: Standard is 100 microns (0.1mm) but I can go as low as 20, though it is rarely useful. (Most people print at 200, which is more rough but usually 1/3 quicker.) 100 usually gives me the best results.

Some sample prints below.
    Note that model resolution and other factors do play into the final result, but use the photos as a general guideline:

Painted Vera parts:
    10965618_10152882827273876_168684408_n.jpg

Comparison between my print and Sh*peways Ultra Detail plastic- the best stuff they have. (My part is on top.):
    10850816_10152748632323876_1253786280_n.jpg

Some detail shots:
    preview.jpg

Typical model-to-print comparison. (about 40 separate parts)
    rocketpreview1.jpg

Send me a PM if you have something you want printed and let's take it from there.

Cheers,
    //Joe

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  2. JOATRASH FX

Service still being offered.

3. bobatrek

bobatrek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

PM sent.

4. medic2410p

medic2410p Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Dropped you a PM

5. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

Even small projects ??? I think , a few Aliens fans , would like something what SDStudios made years ago , a little ...locator tube ..there were only limited amounts made and are long discontinued......just an idea , to throw it out there ...for something smaller thaen you are used to , probably....hehe

6. JOATRASH FX

PMs replied.

I could easily do a locator run if there is interest. Cost would be maybe 60-80 shipped dep on how many wanted them.

7. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

Well , If anyone ever decides they want some , then I would be in .....could something like this be made hollow ???

8. JOATRASH FX

It would definitely be hollow.

9. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

Well ..thanks for your time on this matter....lets hope something great happens in the near future

10. JOATRASH FX

Locator pattern is ready! Hollow, as requested. (The window is modeled super-thin so that it can be cut out easily.) Will be PMing you shortly.

render.jpg

11. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

Oh wow....I thought you said if enough people were interested , then a run will occur ??? or is this a one off kinda deal....I got confused , thought this wasn't happening yet....I will need to weeks to prepare for payment....didn't know this was a definite , but yeah I am interested in obtaining , this just caught me off guard...LOL...from what we were talking about earlier in the week , don't get me wrong , I would love too have this for sure....just need to wait till 16th and I am in all the way !!!

12. JOATRASH FX

I had some extra time today and took a crack at it because it looked like quick pattern to make. I might post a run notice later (though I haven't seen much demand for smaller Aliens stuff in a while) but go ahead and drop me a message me when you're ready.

13. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

You are Da Man , JOATRASH....you completely surprised me once again , with your work , and ethic....thanks brother , for helping and ole' guy like me , out !!!....LMAO....I appreciate your time, that's so cool , I don't know what to say , except thank you , and I look forward to this really soon , you are awesome bro !!!! Best regards , Guy

14. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

More PM's sent , and thank you sir for all your help....I just don't have the words to describe , with all your help on this, bless you sir !!!

This is just beautifully done , so very happy , thank you for developing this for me, you are so kind , my friend !!!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  15. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

PM sent ....and also I have one last question in regards to this , and forgive me for not be knowledgeable with this kind of project , but when this is bought , is this something I put together or is this something like seen in the photo up above , when it arrives....not sure , learning as I go ??? Thanks Guy

16. JOATRASH FX

Up we go.

17. JOATRASH FX

Bump. Could use some extra cash for an upcoming move so I'm willing to print some things.

18. JOATRASH FX

Moving soon... got lots of plastic to melt!

19. Rialto

Rialto Member

Was thinking xlrobots v2 bb8 frame how much would that cost approximately

20. JOATRASH FX

Well, I'm not familiar with everything but I did a quick google. IS that an interior frame or the whole thing with outer panels and all? I could see the inner frame costing a few hundred dollars... and entire BB8 body would probably cost upwards of $1K or more and take several months. (Material costs alone are pretty high for a BB8 as I recall). I can't say for sure until someone gives me actual files to look at, but those are guesstimates.

21. Rialto

Rialto Member

22. funkster

funkster Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey dude,

Rough ball park on Deadpool's radio / Siemens RT-711?

23. JOATRASH FX

I'd really need a model to be certain... but maybe $125-150 to print it. If you need it modeled as well... hmm.... probably another couple hundred depending on who retains rights to the model and so on. Wouldn't something like that be much easier to get for real on ebay or vintage electronics stores?

24. funkster

I'll see if I can find a model

25. JOATRASH FX

If you know that several people want one, I could do a run and the modeling cost would be baked into it.

26. funkster

PM'd ya

27. deathstroke132

deathstroke132 Well-Known Member

how much would you do a deadpool or spiderman faceshell for? ( pricing on each please)

28. JOATRASH FX

Head-sized pieces like that are usually expensive, but if fabric is going to cover it I assume it doesn't have to be super-smooth and can be printed at 200 microns instead of 100. I'd really need to see the file to check printing time , but a rough guess would be $150-250.

deathstroke132 likes this.
  29. deathstroke132

deathstroke132 Well-Known Member

not a bad pricing at all. I was just interested in getting into this myself. i just wanted to know in case i want something 3d printed by you. thanks for answering. :)