JL: THE SNYDER CUT coming to HBO Max

Alright guys, can anybody tell me if we have any clue what percentage of this film is different? Sorry if that’s already been stated, I’ve just been loosely following the thread.

I’m always used to seeing “Director’s Cuts” as maybe longer, slightly different versions of a released film that don’t significantly alter the overall story being told...but I feel like this is actually a completely different film, is that correct?
According to Snyder, less than 1/3 of what HE shot was in the Joss version, & it was over 2 hrs.

The Snyder Cut uses NOTHING from the theatrical version & is 4 hrs.

According to Snyder, less than 1/3 of what HE shot was in the Joss version, & it was over 2 hrs.

The Snyder Cut uses NOTHING from the theatrical version & is 4 hrs.
Thank you...that means it seems like it will be completely different.

I have HBO Max, so I will probably watch it, but something about a lot of Snyder’s stuff just seems “off” to me. I’m not a fan of the color palette he uses quite often, and they all seem to take themselves VERY seriously. It will be interesting to see if it’s BETTER than what was released, or just different.

I strongly encourage folks to read the Vanity Fair article that gives a pretty cohesive breakdown with what happened, straight from the Snyder's themselves.

I just finished it & I can only say that, I have HBOMax,I will watch it there, when it's released on home formats & will buy it, & when theaters are back in full swing, my butt will be planted in an IMAX seat ASAP.

That has nothing to do with the quality of the film. It has everything to do with supporting an artist & the passion he has, not only for this project, but also for what finishing it ON HIS TERMS means to him & his family.

I strongly encourage folks to read the Vanity Fair article that gives a pretty cohesive breakdown with what happened, straight from the Snyder's themselves.

I just finished it & I can only say that, I have HBOMax,I will watch it there, when it's released on home formats & will buy it, & when theaters are back in full swing, my butt will be planted in an IMAX seat ASAP.

That has nothing to do with the quality of the film. It has everything to do with supporting an artist & the passion he has, not only for this project, but also for what finishing it ON HIS TERMS means to him & his family.
I haven't seen a lot of interviews with Snyder but from what little I have seen he seems like a decent guy. Like I mentioned, I'm not a fan of his movies but I'm going to give this one a shot. I admire his dedication despite the hardships he dealt with.

I want to say I heard that Whedon's version reshot the vast majority of it - or hacked it up. I caught a bit of a mid way fight scene when i exited disney plus after watch the last Wanda Vision and yikes. Poor compositing, poor graphics, just clearly obvious cut this guy out of whatever the source footage was a comp him in here, bad switches from actor to cgi version. Oof. And WandaVision's work put it to massive shame - on i guarantee you, a fraction of the budget. But I digress. The point of mention that is I think it looked like that as Whedon hacked up what Snyder had done for much more of his own vision.

If Snyder took a film in a different, unique or original direction I would be the first to buy a ticket. If this cut does that I'll watch it in a heartbeat. If not will pass on it. Hope for the best...

If this is in 4:3 on my 16:9 TV I’ll probably hate it for that alone, that’ll be very frustrating to watch.

slightly unrelated but I watched Birds of Prey the other day for the first time and actually enjoyed it more than I ever imagined I would.

These reviews make me feel sick. Clearly, no unbiased film critics have been allowed to see/review the film, and only millennial adult children obsessed with Hot Topic edge and Junkie XL have seen it. Did you also catch the tweet in the article saying how “HBOmax is perfect for this, and it wouldn’t have worked in theaters”? More of WB trying to prop up another failing streaming service. Another tweet called it “the Lord of the Rings of DC”. How sycophantic could you get?

Did you also catch the tweet in the article saying how “HBOmax is perfect for this, and it wouldn’t have worked in theaters”? More of WB trying to prop up another failing streaming service.
Yeah that's hilarious. I've never heard of a movie that doesn't work better in a theater. The shilliness is strong.
I read this part and thought your complaint was going to go the other way. :lol:
Me too haha.

Last edited:
I think this is my favorite reaction I've seen so far...

Screenshot 2021-03-14 151753.png

So... major issues with pacing, runtime, and dialogue... what, exactly did you like?!

I mean, if you like the Snyder stuff, whatever, power to you. But the way the hype and media surrounding his “fabled cut” of the film don’t really reflect the broader audience, I feel. I see the Snyder stuff the same way I see Doom Patrol or the DC CW shows. Catering to a small, niche audience. The only difference is that the Snyder minority tends to be (exceptions here, I haven’t seen a lot of this on the RPF) much more vocal.

Most of Synder's movies that I've braved have been quite similar and to put it nicely not my favorite things. What's strange about this particular movie is a few people whose opinion I respect in many other matters have insisted that this cut is going to be different and amazing. One of them hated the original JL. Odd. I just don't get the attraction here. Those schill reviews definitely don't help it, but were fun to read lol.

Most of Synder's movies that I've braved have been quite similar and to put it nicely not my favorite things. What's strange about this particular movie is a few people whose opinion I respect in many other matters have insisted that this cut is going to be different and amazing. One of them hated the original JL. Odd. I just don't get the attraction here. Those schill reviews definitely don't help it, but were fun to read lol.

I agree with this, especially the “similar” part. I’m not sure whether it’s the odd color tones he likes to use, or something else, but they often feel like they’re just the same movie to me.

The one thing that I’ve been wondering is how close to his “original vision” for the film this actually is...or if the hindsight of poor fan and critic reactions really guided some of the changes that we will see here.

Like, if I write a paper for a class and get a D, and the teacher tells me everything I need to change to get an A, then I make those changes and get an A, it wasn’t my own visions and ideas that ultimately made the paper work.

I hope this analogy makes sense.

I also wanted to point out that it’s POSSIBLE this, in its current form, may not have been well suited for theaters simply because of its run time. Split into two parts, or maybe with an intermission, but I don’t know an awful lot of people that want to watch a four hour film in one sitting.

I agree with this, especially the “similar” part. I’m not sure whether it’s the odd color tones he likes to use, or something else, but they often feel like they’re just the same movie to me.

The one thing that I’ve been wondering is how close to his “original vision” for the film this actually is...or if the hindsight of poor fan and critic reactions really guided some of the changes that we will see here.

Like, if I write a paper for a class and get a D, and the teacher tells me everything I need to change to get an A, then I make those changes and get an A, it wasn’t my own visions and ideas that ultimately made the paper work.

I hope this analogy makes sense.

I also wanted to point out that it’s POSSIBLE this, in its current form, may not have been well suited for theaters simply because of its run time. Split into two parts, or maybe with an intermission, but I don’t know an awful lot of people that want to watch a four hour film in one sitting.
I don't have the exact number in front of me, but Snyder has says that he shot less than 10 minutes of new footage for this release. Everything else was what he had shot before stepping away.

As any who've read my posts here know, I like Snyder's movies, but I hope I never come across as a shill or fanboy. If I share what I like that's a dissenting opinion, I'm not necessarily trying to convince or disparage, just discuss. That's not an apology, but more of an agreement to disagree. I wanted to say that because here's where I'm seeing the biggest problem with honest reviews of JL:TSC.

The film was walked away from due to, & now dedicated to Zach's daughter Amber. For this fact alone, I don't feel that anyone in the press will say anything about this movie, other than it's a 'TRIUMPH'. Even if it craps the bed. From all the interviews I've read over the years, I honestly don't believe that either of the Snyders would use this in a marketing strategy, but it'll get views/clicks/reads/whatever, so it's going to be brought up, therefore making any honest criticism impossible.

The other this is where Weedon stands in the universe right now. As crap as his version was in it's own right, although I still think that turd belongs, flaming, on the doorstep of the studio, if people can applaud this movie as a way to slam Weedon, then it's gonna happen.

I'll probably be here after watching it to talk about it, but I'm going to decide myself just for the reasons stated above.

I just had a thought...

I wish there was some way the RPF could host a watch party for films like this. To virtually sit & watch something like this with many of you would be a lot of fun, although we all know where that could turn into a troll buffet. IDK, maybe real time, 'face to face' interaction would keep our respect levels high.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back