JL: THE SNYDER CUT coming to HBO Max

This will be an interesting project to compare both versions. I remember a few jarring things about Justice League. Like Batman's new or retro theme. Also Superman's return which seemed to be changed from the ending of Batman vs Superman. I did like that Alfred cut scene when Superman arrives at Wayne Manor too. This Snyder Cut just might make Justice League worth owning for me.

It's about 4 hours.

Complete Cyborg origin.

Scenes with Barry & Iris.

More in Atlantis that sets up Aquaman.

Darkseid has multiple appearances.

Different look for Steppenwolf.

Different soundtrack & score.

Different color palette, especially during the end battle.

More info on the Mother Boxes that make them sentient.

Payoff of the Martian Manhunter setup.

Appearances of at least 2 more DC heroes.

Scenes in Arkham between Batman & Luthor.

Kind of a different ending.

More scenes to continue the seeds planted in MoS & BvS.
Possible Spoiler (who knows at this point)...

but I thought that he had a whole different take on Superman after he was brought back to life. The theatrical version had Alfred show up with Lois and Superman "snaps" back and the two of them fly off to Kansas. I thought the Snyder version had a "dark" Superman (wasn't there a picture out there of him in a black suit?). I'd be up for that and to see how they bring him back to being good.

Possible Spoiler (who knows at this point)...

but I thought that he had a whole different take on Superman after he was brought back to life. The theatrical version had Alfred show up with Lois and Superman "snaps" back and the two of them fly off to Kansas. I thought the Snyder version had a "dark" Superman (wasn't there a picture out there of him in a black suit?). I'd be up for that and to see how they bring him back to being good.
From what I know, he comes back the same, but Alfred doesn't bring Lois. There's more of a battle involving the military, Lois hears it, & arrives on her own. They then fly away.

The Black suit is in a scene when he goes to the other Kryptonian ship to get a suit, & he walks past the Black one. After that is the scene from the trailers that show Alfred talking to him after the team has left to confront Steppenwolf.

The only other big difference I know of, is, during the resurrection scene, Cyborg is interfacing with the Mother Box & gets a vision of the Knightmare future from BvS, continuing to set that up for what was to be the next 2 films.

From what I know, he comes back the same, but Alfred doesn't bring Lois. There's more of a battle involving the military, Lois hears it, & arrives on her own. They then fly away.

The Black suit is in a scene when he goes to the other Kryptonian ship to get a suit, & he walks past the Black one. After that is the scene from the trailers that show Alfred talking to him after the team has left to confront Steppenwolf.

The only other big difference I know of, is, during the resurrection scene, Cyborg is interfacing with the Mother Box & gets a vision of the Knightmare future from BvS, continuing to set that up for what was to be the next 2 films.
Meh - not at cool as I was hoping for (a Dark Superman segment).

To me, the whole Superman - Lois scene in the cornfield looked tacked-on (just look at the CGI corn stalks), but your comments make it seem like that whole exchange was always in there.

The Darkseid vision would be cool to see, just not as meaningful knowing that it'll never happen.

Meh - not at cool as I was hoping for (a Dark Superman segment).

To me, the whole Superman - Lois scene in the cornfield looked tacked-on (just look at the CGI corn stalks), but your comments make it seem like that whole exchange was always in there.

The Darkseid vision would be cool to see, just not as meaningful knowing that it'll never happen.
Yeah...I agree with the 'what could've been' frustration, because the Dark Superman would've happened during the film/films that would've covered the Knightmare story.

As far as stuff being tacked on, I didn't know that the entire Russian family plot point was completely a Whedon addition. In fact, Snyder had said that the movie that was released was about 1/4 him.

I don't know. I have a hard time thinking that more of Snyder's interpretations of Bats and Supes would redeem that movie. It was largely inoffensive to me theatrically, and I even had a few chuckles at what were certainly Whedon added scenes, but short of completely rewriting the tone to match the spirit of the characters as depicted in classic canon, I can't imagine giving any ***** about this version of the film. I've had enough of murderbats and mopey superman.
Superman should be inspirational and Batman should be a taciturn genius detective. The punching is secondary to what's awesome about both of them.

EDIT: All that having been said, I'll probably still find time to watch it if only to have an opinion as superheroics are a genre I love.

8657AA7A-C21A-4CC2-9038-0EBA5C1D2203.jpeg

I've said it before in other threads, & it makes less than 2 fornications of difference to anyone, but I think I saw & really appreciate what Snyder was trying to do...

Superman's film was another origin story, but instead of him being the boy scout because of his upbringing, it was almost in spite of it. The Kent's treated his powers as something to be ashamed of. They were so selfish & misguided, than instead of recognizing the good that their son could do, they wanted it hidden so... What?... He might get taken away?

Who was going to be able to do that?

He might turn out bad?

I mean, they felt so strongly, PA was willing to die to prove he was right.

Clark became who he was because that's who he chose to be. Now about the killing, I think that he also had to have that moment where he decided to become the boy scout we know as the character. In his first outing, he felt he had no other choice than to kill Zod, but as David Goyer recently said, that was to be his one & only kill. After that he's determined to find other means to resolve the issues he faces, so in MoS, we see the first steps of him becoming the Superman we know.

Now as far as Batman goes, it's the opposite... He's been through so much personal loss, probably after dealing out mercy time & time again, he has the attitude of, eliminate the problem, they'll be no repeat problem. In that, he's basically militarized his MO to the point that it's the mission that matters & collateral damage is just a byproduct.

He needed that kryptonite. These guys have chosen a life of serving Luthor, so they've chosen to put themselves in the situation they're in, so if in accomplishing his mission in the most expedient manner, they die, so be it

How many times do we think he sent Joker to Arkham before he killed Robin? He's just broken.

Then we get to the point of BvS, IMO.

To Superman, he had to be willing to die for the people that his parents had repeatedly told him didn't deserve him. He had to be willing to die for the people that he was taught would be afraid of him & try to destroy him. Even when confronted face to face with Bruce, seemingly proving his parents point, he was still willing to not kill, so that lesson was learned, & was still willing to die to save them all.

Seeing this, is what brings Bruce back. It inspires him to return to his former ethical & moral code. This is shown at the end when he doesn't brand Luthor. It was said earlier that the branding was basically a death sentence in prison. He didn't physically kill the person, but the brand would ensure that they'd still die, thus eliminating the problem. Seeing Luthor willing to let Innocents die for the 'greater good' also snaps him out of it, which would bring them into JL.

I'll stop here, but this is where I felt that Snyder was going. He was bringing us to the Justice League we all wanted to see, but each character was going to be earning their place as a hero. It wasn't just assumed because of decades of history that we all know. I try to look at a film from the standpoint of the what the characters know, not what I do.

Those two arcs for bats and superman are great, but even if that's what he was shooting for, I feel like having the two series overlap was just too many moving pieces. To many fan bases.

I've always been a fan of how comic characters can be used to tell new stories, or create the same/similar character from new beginnings. It's one of the charms that every version of superman is superman. no matter how they differ.

That said, the more the story tries to tweak with things, the better it seems to turn out when the rogue's gallery is limited to the known players from that central comic. Story about batman having become a branding "killer", and been redeemed by seeing the actions of another? Great. That sounds like a lot of fun. And that character that inspires him to be better being superman would still even work well, but the superman in that story needs to be the one we know and love. the story is about batman's journey, so soups needs to be the "normal" one.

And vice versa. Superman becoming who he is, killing and not caring for it, and choosing to be willing to die for the people he grew up afraid of? Fantastic. and the guy who gets him on the straight and normal can even be batman. but again, superman would need to be the one with the character arc playing out; Bats needs to be the one with convictions that sups can learn from.

Having them both going through that sort of huge arc at essentially the same time just made them movies no one asked for. Batman fans like bats going through these arcs, superman fans certainly don't mind big blue dealing with these issues... but you thrown them both together, and now it's more of a justice league movie. and justice league fans don't like everyone being out of sorts at once.

Last edited:
Those two arcs for bats and superman are great, but even if that's what he was shooting for, I feel like having the two series overlap was just too many moving pieces. To many fan bases.

I've always been a fan of how comic characters can be used to tell new stories, or create the same/similar character from new beginnings. It's one of the charms that every version of superman is superman. no matter how they differ.

That said, the more the story tries to tweak with things, the better it seems to turn out when to rogue's gallery is limited to the known players from that central comic. Story about batman having become a branding "killer", and been redeemed by seeing the actions of another? Great. That sounds like a lot of fun. And that character being superman would still even work well, but the superman in that story needs to be the one we know and love. the story is about batman's journey, so soups needs to be the "normal" one.

And vice versa. Superman becoming who he is, killing and not caring for it, and choosing to be willing to die for the people he grew up afraid of? Fantastic. and the guy who gets him on the straight and normal can even be batman. but again, superman would need to be the one with the character arc playing out; Bats needs to be the one with convictions that sups can learn from.

Having them both going through that sort of huge arc at essentially the same time just made them movies no one asked for. Batman fans like bats going through these arcs, superman fans certainly don't mind big blue dealing with these issues... but you thrown them both together, and now it's more of a justice league movie. and justice league fans don't like everyone being out of sorts at once.
Very, very well said!

Thank you for your perspective. I really appreciate the discussion.

HOLY CRAP I actually care to see this now!!

I've been a fan of Snyder's, from Guardians of Ga'Hool, to Sucker Punch, & THIS is what I was expecting from him. I feel like Hallelujah has so many meanings in this trailer as well.

Unapologetically excited... Now if HBOMAX & AMAZON can come to an accord, I'll be set.

They've also revealed that they're working on a 'distribution deal' that will allow non-HBOMax subscribers to see it. I'm assuming that means a Blu Ray release? I can't see it going back into theaters, but with the current state of the cinema business, who knows what they'll try.

Snyder also said they're looking into a way that those who want to watch the story as a whole, instead of the 4 episodes, will be able to do it.

I can't believe it seems to bear little resemblance to the release version. I'm sure it was mostly stuff that was cut, but it does seem to give a whole other feel that doesn't appear to be horrible.

If the whole thing comes out that well he could damn well salvage that mess.

I can't believe it seems to bear little resemblance to the release version. I'm sure it was mostly stuff that was cut, but it does seem to give a whole other feel that doesn't appear to be horrible.

If the whole thing comes out that well he could damn well salvage that mess.
From what I'm understanding, the released version used about 1/3 of what Snyder had shot & ran a bit over 2 hours.

This film, by comparison, will use nothing that was rewritten or filmed by Joss & will run over 4 hours.

I'm expecting this to bear almost no resemblance to the theatrical cut.

looks worlds better than the original, but there's a lot of wiggle room to be better than that, and still not be so good.

That said, I hope it's not just better, but actually a solidly good product. using 4 hours to tell the story is a darn good start to making up the time and character development that they originally skipped, and puts it more on an even footing with the number of marvel movies that came out before Avengers (they're doing the equivalent of adding almost 2 more full movies by expanding this).

if their "alternate distribution" is some sort of rental or reasonable purchase through prime, I'll pick this up, but I'm just not a big enough DC fan to mess with signing up for any sort of HBO service right now.

I'm looking forward to this. But that trailer was irritating as **** with that soundtrack and 2 seconds of dialogue. And SO much slo-mo, I thought I'd see John Woo is involved. I hope to hell that the cut isn't half slow motion "action".

I'm convinced it'll be great for me. It's the BvS UE in XXL. I was disappointed from JL in the cinema. Love the UE of BvS. Enjoyed it way more than anything Marvel did with their lack of quality heroes. Snyder ist pretty visual. It is his style and I get if people don't like it. But with some Slomo and iconic images that could be directly from a comic page he hit the spot of what I like to see.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back