JL: THE SNYDER CUT coming to HBO Max

So much of it was fan service. Slow motion everything! Typical Snyder trademarks. A lot of it felt forced, bordering on cringe at times, but you know what . . . I didn't mind it. Actually I like this "cut" if that's what they want to call it. Really it's almost a completely different movie. I would watch a part 2 in a second! It's 100 times better than the original (low bar, I know), but given what he had to work with, I found it quite entertaining.

Glad Synder got to finish his film, the way he always envisioned it.

Problem is, his vision sucked then and it sucks now. This movie exists purely for fan service. Hard not to compare a lot of similarities between the MCI/Thanos storyline. To add terrible CGI, broody emo music and very very weird scenes (singing and sweater sniffing aquaman fans).

Man this was corny.

God i was bored gave up after an hour. if you are not a fan of DCU stuff so far this isn't going to win you over.

I actually wasn’t a fan of DCU stuff and dug it.

interesting tho, the third in a trilogy effect.

I kinda dug man of steal
Then I thought BvS was okay... but both were just a mess in the third act and not a fan of the tone.

but Whedon’s Justice league was so bad it made me really dislike the previous Snyder movies. It was like “rise of Skywalker” - a movie so bad it made me dislike the earlier of the trilogy.

but this movie, Snyder Cut, now has me liking the first two a little more again... cuz it’s now consistent! Payoffs!

Maybe not exactly what I would have wanted in a DC trilogy... but at least now it’s a coherently SNYDER DC trilogy.

I mean the Flash actually had a payoff in the end... he didn’t just roll a truck of people to safety.

God i was bored gave up after an hour. if you are not a fan of DCU stuff so far this isn't going to win you over.

And I'm not. It's one of many reasons I'm not going to bother. I don't see how any movie can every convince me I was wrong when virtually every movie is terrible. I don't even like Zack Snyder. It's just not worth it to me to waste 4 hours of my life on.

I don't want to diminish anyone else's enjoyment or appreciation for it, but for me it felt just as hollow and pointless as the Whedon version but with now with 100% more Snyder indulgences.

Also, while watching it I was struck very strongly at how badly Darkseid is used as a villain here compared to how well I thought the MCU used Thanos. They're basically the same character, with Thanos being very derivative of Darkseid. So prior to the MCU, I always thought Darkseid was more interesting- but the MCU take on Thanos actually made me care about his point of view and managed to build understanding and empathy for why he was doing what he was doing. But DCU Darkseid is just a gravel-voiced non-entity. There's no reason to ask why he has an interest in the 'anti-life equation', what it even is or why we should care. He's just there to look EVIL and intimidating.

One upside of this version is I felt like I actually got to know Steppenwolf a little more than in the Whedon version, and so in understanding his motivations I was slightly more invested in why he was doing what he was doing. He still wasn't very engaging as a character, but the extra time spent there benefited the overall story.

Simply speaking from an editing and story writing point of view, Snyder's Justice League is a better movie. It's simply more cohesive, and you can understand what's going on and the character motivations behind it.

I'm honestly wondering if Whedon purposely sabotaged JL so the MCU didn't have to compete.

I'm honestly wondering if Whedon purposely sabotaged JL so the MCU didn't have to compete.
It would be a career-killing move.

Regardless, when you're hired ($$$) to fix a project but end up making it worse; not only do you lose your power-status in HWood, you become vulnerable to payback for the unnecessary tyranny and shenanigans you imposed in previous casts and crews - which is something he's apparently known for.

I think he's going to wrap his HBO series, then let things cool off for a while.

As for Zack Snyder, 300 barely cost anything + made a ton of dough for WB, and Snyder has had carte blanche since then.
Having painfully sat through the first JL, I've seen enough to know that I'd rather go through weekly colonoscopy/root canal combos for the next 12 months than suffer through another, longer, uglier screening.
It was like “rise of Skywalker” - a movie so bad it made me dislike the earlier of the trilogy.
The interesting thing about Rise Of Skywalker is that I seriously thought nothing....n-o-t-h-i-n-g.... could ever be worse than The Last Jedi. Nothing in the Universe...ever... If there was ever sabotage from a big budget director; JJ would be at the top of that list.

Im just over here stuck wondering what kinda ******* lets Supermans moms house get foreclosed on
No one knew she was in financial trouble. She never told anyone. The way the conversation between Lois & Clark went at the farm house, she'd been behind for a while. Maybe even before he died.

Honestly the plot is less disjointed and makes a bit more sense the original. It doesn't require full attention to follow which worked out well for an evening with friends/distractions. There's some notable strange moments involving singing/soundtrack/plot, a few of which were hilarious. As expected the hype was unwarranted and it didn't deliver for the most part but also certainly didn't ruin Friday night. It's definitely a Snyder movie and everything that entails. If you're into his films you'll probably enjoy.

Last edited:
Here's my take on the oddness of the first bit of the film, & it was definitely a bit odd. You have all these characters with incredible abilities that many would kill to have, but their lives absolutely suck.

Lois is an award winning writer, but gets her only joy by bringing a cop coffee every day at her boyfriend's memorial.

Barry isn't doing anything significant, just going from dead end job to dead end job.

Cyborg can't see past his circumstances & would rather pout, hide, & blame.

They all had some nice, yet very emo/depressing soundtrack choices for their intro.

Bruce & Diana are the only ones accomplishing anything worthwhile in their lives, & the music reflected that. Bruce just had the movie's opening music during his trek through Norway, & Diana actually had some action scene, exciting pieces.

As for Arthur, he's a good guy, but shallow, pardon the pun. He's fine with drinking & women to occupy him from his personal issues/depression. Here's how I think his adventures play out-

He does his good deed, hangs around to 'party' a bit & build the legend. He's more than ok with this low-level worship, & leaves his shirts behind whenever he leaves, like a basketball player giving his shoes away after a game. He even does it after rescuing the fisherman. If I recall at the beginning, it was mostly the village women, & definitely a younger, attractive one that grabbed his sweater while singing the chorus. He chided Bruce for, not figuring out his secret, but for interfering with the game he was running, & I think the way Bruce looked around when he left & everyone began singing is the way the audience was supposed to feel, "what the crap is this...?".

My personal feeling is the soundtrack was being used to show some internal feelings of the characters, to give the audience an idea of what was going on inside. To place the connection with the internal/external narrative.

I saw it, and thought it was pretty good.

Vastly better than the original (though, there was nowhere to go, but up).

The characters at least seemed like much more whole rounded characters. I even like that he was able to add in a few versions of scenes that, while being utterly unnecessary for the Snyder cut to stand on it's own; allowed for the epilogue to hit enough extra plot points, that we can see what the story and resolution of the sequel would have been (which we'll never get a full version of).

I feel like the fighting in this one felt better that the previous versions. I got the right vibe from each character in their brawls with the bad guys at the end; DC characters tell their ebst stories when they're either dealing with existential emotional stuff, where they're shattered and broken (see "Kingdom Come"), or they're fighting an utterly unstoppable enemy, and have to go full ancient greek god/hero.

Marvel characters do best when they're dealing with the same problems we deal with; DC needs to be dropped into absurd Zeus vs the Titans kind of crap.

for reference, my thoughts are:
Wonder Woman: 3/10
WW2: didn't watch
MOS: 0/10, I rented it for $5 and wanted to demand a $15 refund
BvS: Didn't watch
Aquaman: 7/10, this one is just good fun, and I think they really embraced the comic book aesthetic; the fact that black manta was so over the top exactly like black manta in the comics was great.
Shazam: 7.5/10, a kids movie for the adult kid, lots of fun.
SS/BoP: haven't watched either

I consider 5/10 or 6/10 movies to be easily worth watching/seeing. 5/10 is average, and average aint bad.

Last edited:
As for Arthur, he's a good guy, but shallow, pardon the pun. He's fine with drinking & women to occupy him from his personal issues/depression. Here's how I think his adventures play out-

Given this was also taking place in Iceland (based on credits but could be some other Nordic locale), I got a complete "Thor" vibe from this iteration of Arthur. He comes to town when he's craving adulation, booze and female companionship and does just enough to get everyone to worship him to make himself feel better.

I've certainly dissed Zack Snyder many times. Man of Steel became a hollow flashy Hans Zimmer music video, though I loved it first. Batman v Superman is on my list of films that I dislike the most. Though the Ultimate Edition kinda redeemed that film for me. The theatrical cut is missing so much NEEDED context.

But I'm gonna say it, gosh dang, I liked this film! The scenes with the Flash were spectacular. And finally seeing it all together. I feel I can appreciate Man of Steel again, and BvS. I really hope they keep the DCEU going. I really want to see where this is all going. I'm loving the twisted darker Injustice vibes of these visions that Bruce is getting.

Now Zack if you can streamline your story telling. If you can make two, two and a half hour films that make sense, then you would be getting somewhere. You know what? Forget it. Just make a miniseries Zack. Forget the films all together. Take your time. You certainly seem to need it. Or heck keep making four hour films if you need. Just keep it going.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back