JK Rowling's next book: 'The Casual Vacancy'

So, any thoughts on this? J.K. Rowling's next book: 'The Casual Vacancy'

I feel underwhelmed by the description of the book. I know, its silly at this point to say so (because Rowling has every right to move on), but I'm just not ready to leave the world of Magic. :\

I say more power to her. The Harry Potter novels have been her focus for nigh on 15 years now. As much as I loved Harry's adventures, as an author myself, I can sympathize with her desire to move on. She's probably burned the heck out on HP after this long.

I read the description quickly, but it sounded like murder mystery in an old english hamlet. I have it in my head the the 'old' bit meant a period piece, but I may be wrong at that.

I kind of agree that hearing the book was coming was exciting, then the description given was more 'really?' I don't mind leaving the world of magic at all. The description of the new world left a bit to be desired, but maybe they're trying to undersell it or something.

Given the success of Harry Potter, this book could be a description of watching grass grow and paint dry and it'd still be the biggest seller of the year by a giant margin. :)

I don't see it as an 'either/or' reading choice. Nothing can replace the intricately designed magical Potter world, so I don't see that fading into the background in lieu of this new book.

I do look forward to the story she weaves with this; Rowling has a complex mind and I'm sure this will be intriguing, although I never expected it would be a replacement for anything.

I say more power to her. The Harry Potter novels have been her focus for nigh on 15 years now. As much as I loved Harry's adventures, as an author myself, I can sympathize with her desire to move on. She's probably burned the heck out on HP after this long.

How about licensing the characters out to other writers?

What would you think of that?

How about licensing the characters out to other writers?

What would you think of that?

It would depend on the writers and how hard she was going to be on continuity. Star Wars is a big example of a great IP which is very hit or miss in terms of "Extended Universe". I'll read anything that Mike Stackpole or Tim Zahn does in the Star Wars universe and would love to see them come back, but then we get drek where everyone is a natural talent at what they do to the point of being considered force sensitive.

If she were to be very picky about the writers and the stories, I wouldn't mind seeing more of Harry's world at all.

Well if she wants to move on why license the property? Either she has to be involved in oversight so that the expanded universe maintains integrity with what she produced, which defeats the purpose of moving on, or she risks damage to the brand if she's completely hands-off and garbage is produced. That's a big part of what burned me out on the Star Wars EU, how wildly the quality varied.

I suppose it would depend on how protective she is of the brand.

During the midst of the lawsuit over the Harry Potter Lexicon or whatever the hell it was called, Rowling was asked what Potter meant to her. Her answer was “the closest you could come is to say ‘How do you feel about your children’.”

She's already a billionaire, so doesn't need the dough, so it's fairly certain she's not going to license out the characters just for more money, which, no doubt, is still rolling in and will for a long time. This thing is part of her soul. She's not going to let anyone else touch it.

During the midst of the lawsuit over the Harry Potter Lexicon or whatever the hell it was called, Rowling was asked what Potter meant to her. Her answer was “the closest you could come is to say ‘How do you feel about your children’.”

She's already a billionaire, so doesn't need the dough, so it's fairly certain she's not going to license out the characters just for more money, which, no doubt, is still rolling in and will for a long time. This thing is part of her soul. She's not going to let anyone else touch it.

Pretty much dead on there.

There's no point to licensing it out anyhow. Without her writing it, it'd be a mere shadow of what it could be. She did say that she could write more about Harry if an idea popped into her head. If it happens, great. If not, not a big deal. There weren't any open ends left to continue with.

It's kind of what George now says about 7,8, and 9. There's nothing to continue from the previous set. It'd just be a 'what can I have luke/harry do now?'

My guess is that shell probably squeeze out a few of these types of books before she eventually gets the itch to revisit Potter world again.

I give it about 10 years before the next potter book is released.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back