Jin Roh armor project...

synasp

Sr Member
There have been live action, comics, and anime versions of Jin Roh, but IMHO, the anime armor is by far the coolest. I thought I'd dust off a project that was shelved a few years ago, and finish it up. Has anyone else watched this anime?

I think that even if you haven't seen the anime, the armor is still cool, meeean-looking armor. B)

Here's a scan from a Jin Roh book:
[attachmentid=6922]

Reference pictures from the anime:
[attachmentid=6923]

[attachmentid=6924]

[attachmentid=6925]

And the 12" Medicom figure:
[attachmentid=6926]

[attachmentid=6927]

To start on this project, I've decided to tackle the most important piece: the mask.

A big problem is that the anime design changes from frame to frame. I've been working with a very cool fellow member (maybe he'd like to chime in) and a perfect mock-up of the toy just didn't look right. The mouth was too long. It was too different from the anime.

After some key changes to adapt more to the anime--the 2nd revision--it still didn't look right... something was off.

Another total revamp, and the 3rd version looked exactly like the anime from the side profile. Problem is, as it turned out, the animators cheated.

A perfect side profile meant the mask looked funky from the front. A perfect nose from the side meant too small of a nose from the front. The anime mask couldn't exist in the physical world. There needed to be a compromise, but what? How?

The fourth revision, a hybrid between medicom (a physical representation that we know can exist) and anime (the aesthetic shapes and proportions we're trying to copy) is the best bet.

...this is where you guys come in. Any thoughts or comments? Suggestions?

Anything at all about the mask, the armor, tips and tricks will help. This is a really cool project that I've been wanting to do for a long time now, so I'm incredibly excited. Hopefully you guys are interested as well...

David

the hi-impact guys did the anime armor a few years ago, which looked awesome.
one of them also posted detailed pics of the armor a while back, which i saved off somewhere for reference, i can send them to you later if i can find them.

personally, i really like the live action "stray dog" version of this armor... i think the mask just looks meaner or something. but the anime version is cool as well.

-Jeff

and speaking of stray dog... heres my mask and helmet :)

straydog2.jpg

My advice would be to pick up the Japanes Mook for Jin-Roh that has all the detailed production drawings for the anime. I have on, it's pretty cool.

I think I prefer the Anime version to the ones that folks have now - I'm assuming that's the live action version. Either way, they are cool - just if I had a choice, I'd prefer the Anime.

I think I remember seeing some Kerberos guys in Dragon Con or perhaps Comic Con pics - might be worth a search.

-Raj

Originally posted by bothanspy@Mar 1 2006, 04:38 PM
Yes, the mask has been done. Here's mine.
[snapback]1196686[/snapback]​
The one you and darcjedi have is the Stray Dogs version (live action). I prefer the anime one. The Stray Dogs looks like a poodle (small, pointy nose :p) while the anime looks like a wolf (wide face, gas-mask snout). But this is just personal opinion, and that's why I'm going for the anime mask.

Yes, Hi-Impact did the anime one. Hopefully it's okay to post this image:
[attachmentid=6931]
[attachmentid=6932]
The one above is from the Japanese JR book.

The H-I mask is nice, but there are noticeable flaws that I can't help but notice since I've stared at dozens and dozens of reference pictures for countless hours. I wont nitpick though unless someone from Hi-Impact wants me to.

It's a very nice mask, and probably costs a lot less than the one I want in fiberglass, but I'm just a perfectionist and want a "definitive" version.

Does anyone have ideas for the eyes? Any 3P0 builders want to chime in on how they do the 3P0 eyes? My main concern is diffusing the light from the LEDs so it doesn't look like a bunch of individual LEDs, and will still allow someone to look through the eyes.

Kylash, very nice Stray Dogs. :) :thumbsup

David

Originally posted by synasp@Mar 2 2006, 12:33 PM
The Stray Dogs looks like a poodle (small, pointy nose :p) while the anime looks like a wolf (wide face, gas-mask snout).
I haven't seen the live-action picture, but have seen the anime and was very impressed, not only by the design of the mask and armor, but also by the visual design of the film overall.

I am quite interested in this project and would love to have a helmet, but don't know what I can contribute other than enthusiasm.

On the other hand, I do live in Tokyo, so if there are reference or other materials from Japan that I may be able to locate/provide, I will do my best to do so. :D

Originally posted by synasp@Mar 2 2006, 03:33 AM
The Stray Dogs looks like a poodle (small, pointy nose :p) while the anime looks like a wolf (wide face, gas-mask snout).

i think saying that the anime one looks like a wolf is stretching it a bit... and dont kid yourself, it has the same "pointy nose" that the live action one does. :)

I'd love to help out with this project. I've done a LOT of research and reference collecting as well. I can't help much with molding and casting BUT I can help with creating the masters. :)

As for lighting the eyes... David, I've sent you a PM. :)

-B89. :D

id like more info about lighting as well...ive got mine working fine but when it comes to seeing, the lenses fog up quite fast...

Beeb, replying to PM... :thumbsup

Originally posted by darcjedi@Mar 2 2006, 03:45 AM
i think saying that the anime one looks like a wolf is stretching it a bit...
[snapback]1197075[/snapback]​
the best way to explain how I'm approaching this is... well, like the "day after" and you're sitting around with your buddies. They all saw who you left the bar with, and while she wasn't all beer-goggle good-lookin, some post-event self-convincing goes a long way. So just let me have my "anime mask is the greatest mask in the world" opinion.. :lol

Okay, so whomever reads this, PM your 3P0 buddies and ask them how they did the eyes. From what I understand, it's the eye, then a smaller tube inside that (which the person looks out from) then the LEDs surround the tube... I'm not sure how well that would work. 3P0 lights aren't very well diffused.

I'd be sooo willing to lend some moral support to this project. BTW, where do ya'll get the german helmet's for the masks. I haven't been able to find anything 'cept real or replicas that cost upwards of $75 - $a billion bucks.
cheers. JAson

Originally posted by Kylash327@Mar 2 2006, 02:26 PM
mine is pvc, cant remember the site i got it..but it was only like $35.
[snapback]1197304[/snapback]​

dayam. Someone, anyone, hook me up with that site.?
:)

Ohhh interesting project. I love the anime version too. :) HI setup is nice, but like you said, there are some noticable differences, which really do stand out, but awesome work all the same.
Not really in the know to offer any advice as of yet, so I'll just hide in the shadows and watch the masters at work.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back