Jim Henson's Labyrinth - My Collection (Dec 2023 Update: Red Goblin Rider Helmet)

KOMakesThings — I recently saw this book and am wondering if you have it? And if so, is it worth the purchase?
Ha, well bear in mind that I'm definitely biased to buy anything with the Labyrinth logo slapped onto it, but I do think the Visual History is worth picking up. It's probably the best collection of behind-the-scenes info about Labyrinth out there, even as a fan of many years there was a good deal of info that I hadn't read before. I'm happy to have added to my shelves and I'd definitely recommend it for any other Labyrinth fan.

helmetlastattempt-622_Crop2_sm.jpg

Ages ago I got a resin helmet kit from LunaArmorWorks on Etsy, it sat in my to-do pile for the longest time but I finally got around to finishing and painting it up. It's been so long since I bought this helmet that LunaArmorWorks doesn't sell it anymore, so I'm grateful I picked it up when I did because I don't know if I could've made something this cool all on my own!

Once I started working on this one, it was pretty easy to put together. I added a few additional details with apoxie sculpt and bondo before priming and sanding the helmet. I used a few different spray paints and masking fluid to get the chipped paint effect, then dusted on chalk pastels to add to the worn look.

sm_20230913_195852.jpg
sm_20231010_185603.jpg
20231216_191535_sm.jpg

20231104_154255_sm.jpg

The hardest part of this project was trying to figure out how to make a faux chainmail hood, which you don't even see in the glamour shots. I used a dollar store rug gripper, I dyed mine red with Rit Dyemore because I thought it might save me the effort of painting it (only for me to paint it anyways because I realised I should make it silver with red drybrushing to get an aged effect to match the helmet).

sm_20231125_123115.jpg
sm_20231125_123102.jpg
sm_20231126_185923.jpg

I really love how the first photo I shared turned out, can you believe I took that in my kitchen? I don't know if I'm just kidding myself, but I feel like it actually looks like it was shot outdoors. I don't think I've shared some of the behind the scenes photos on the forums before, so here's a sneak peek in to the madness that goes into each shot.

20231216_153609.jpg

Here's a few more glamour shots:

IMG_2675_sm.jpg
IMG_2400_sm.jpg

View attachment 1770826

Ages ago I got a resin helmet kit from LunaArmorWorks on Etsy, it sat in my to-do pile for the longest time but I finally got around to finishing and painting it up. It's been so long since I bought this helmet that LunaArmorWorks doesn't sell it anymore, so I'm grateful I picked it up when I did because I don't know if I could've made something this cool all on my own!

Once I started working on this one, it was pretty easy to put together. I added a few additional details with apoxie sculpt and bondo before priming and sanding the helmet. I used a few different spray paints and masking fluid to get the chipped paint effect, then dusted on chalk pastels to add to the worn look.

View attachment 1770829View attachment 1770830View attachment 1770831
View attachment 1770832

The hardest part of this project was trying to figure out how to make a faux chainmail hood, which you don't even see in the glamour shots. I used a dollar store rug gripper, I dyed mine red with Rit Dyemore because I thought it might save me the effort of painting it (only for me to paint it anyways because I realised I should make it silver with red drybrushing to get an aged effect to match the helmet).

View attachment 1770834View attachment 1770835View attachment 1770838

I really love how the first photo I shared turned out, can you believe I took that in my kitchen? I don't know if I'm just kidding myself, but I feel like it actually looks like it was shot outdoors. I don't think I've shared some of the behind the scenes photos on the forums before, so here's a sneak peek in to the madness that goes into each shot.

View attachment 1770833

Here's a few more glamour shots:

View attachment 1770827View attachment 1770828
I was convinced it was shot outside. Love the chipped paint effect!

Outstanding! Such a cool project! Thanks for sharing your process and giving us a look behind the scenes! I like the detail you added around the base of the spike - great detail!

Outstanding! Such a cool project! Thanks for sharing your process and giving us a look behind the scenes! I like the detail you added around the base of the spike - great detail!
Thank you! Overall LunaArmorWorks did a great job with the helmet sculpt, but the missing metal tear around the spike was the most notable inaccuracy that I had to rectify. But I wanna give him a ton of slack there, a good clear shot of this particular helmet is hard to come by in the film so I totally understand how it was missed. It's probably a good thing he didn't make the other colours of helmets because I would've had a hard time saying no to picking the rest of them up.

I don't have a new Labyrinth prop replica to share, but I do have an old goodie that's been remastered in a way. I made a very in-depth tutorial on how to make one of my Labyrinth Firey Plush replicas for Youtube, so I figured I'd share it here in case anyone's interested in trying to make their own.

Cool video, Thanks.

Looking at the pix on your blog it dawned on me the he looks like a Kowakian monkey-lizard.
Ha, y'know I never made that connection before, but I can totally see it! Whenever I'm making one of these guys there's always a point where they look exactly like Cyril Sneer from The Raccoons.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back