Jim Henson's Labyrinth - My Collection (Dec 2023 Update: Red Goblin Rider Helmet)

KOMakesThings - great job! And thanks for sharing your progress! Your paint technique on the armor is fantastic - that patina really sells the whole look!

Any chance of a side-by-side pic to see your various progression up this guy?

Here you go! Versions 1, 2, and 3, from left to right. I think version 1 is circa 2015 or so? And version 2 is from 2020. As mentioned the first two were made using styrofoam balls as the base, I struggled quite a bit with trying to get a cast metal look on the armour. My first two versions I kept going for the post-explosion version of this Goblin as that's the one that appears at the Centre for the Puppetry Arts exhibit, it was actually Zorg's thread that pointed out that before the cannon explodes this Goblin is quite a bit colourful, with what looks like gold/brass armour.

Thinking about it I used a lot of the same techniques for these guys, but I think I was able to refine the process bit by bit over the years. No more hand cutting foam if I can help it, now that I know my Cricut can handle the job I'm gonna be leaning into that as much as possible.

36268083_10155404679586560_6715298555478671360_n.jpg
20201108_130713.jpg
sm_EDIT_IMG_0086.jpg

Also thank you for the compliment on the paint job! That's definitely one of my kryptonite's so I'm thrilled to hear that I'm improving somewhat! It was just the typical base coat/acrylic washes, but I think taking the time to really try and perfect the colour of the wash helped sell the illusion of metal. Having acquired a few actual Brass items with patina really helped with that, super handy to have in person reference for the look I was going after!

Very cool to see them side-by-side and the story of the pre/post explosion is great context. All three are great, unique pieces! Great pro-tip to have a brass piece in hand for comparison - it always helps to have solid references to emulate the desired look!

Another build to share, though this one isn't really a prop replica, this is one of those "In the spirit of" prop builds. I was thinking about the clock that appears in the ballroom scene, I feel as though this is probably a real clock that the prop makers customized. It's so ornate and doesn't have much screen time in the film, so I feel like it's unlikely they would've made this beauty from scratch

labyrinth-movie-screencaps.com-7951.jpg
So that thought led to me doing some googling to see if I could find a match, with no luck. But I did find a rather cool looking clock that kinda had the same vibe as the one in the film, so after a bit of customizing I had this little dude sitting pretty on my shelves:

sm_EDIT_IMG_0314.jpg
sm_EDIT_IMG_0315.jpg

This is the original clock I started with, which I assume is made out of brass. It was several different pieces of metal screwed together, so first step was unscrewing everything and giving it a good polish.

sm_p_20220212_114454.jpg

The clock face is a separate piece of metal, so I ended up swapping it out for a wood base that I screwed the existing clock kit into. Then I used my Cricut to cut out a new clock face. The back piece is just some white glossy vinyl with black vinyl lettering, and the top piece is layers of cardstock glued together that I applied some gold leaf too. I used a bit of acrylic paint to add a bit of aging to the gold leaf to blend it in better with the existing metal, then I just screwed everything back together and this low-stress project was done.

sm_p_20220214_100259.jpg
sm_p_20220214_100359.jpg
sm_p_20220214_183921.jpg

I love these low-effort, high reward projects. Good little serotonin boost for the prop makers soul! The clock still works, though I don't have it wound because this little sucker is LOUD.

sm_EDIT_IMG_0304.jpg

Excellent work as usual! The new face blends in seamlessly! And I agree, I'm setting aside some projects to tackle a similar low-effort project, I need that serotonin boost of a "win" - keep up the great work

A few years back I made myself the Cannonball Goblin out of some styrofoam balls, it was one of the earlier props I've done and it definitely showed in the execution. I eventually made a version 2, but even that was a bit lacking... and then I saw zorg's thread about his build of the Cannonball Goblin, and I kept going back to that thread and thinking "Damn, I want mine to look like that!".

I don't have Zorg's 3D printing skills but I did come across some giant fillable Christmas ornaments last December, so I managed to cobble this dude together:

View attachment 1549755
View attachment 1549756

Still not perfect, but much better than my previous two attempts! As mentioned the body/helmet are made with fillable Christmas ornaments, the helmet being slightly smaller than the torso. I cut/dremelled things to shape, and stippled some modelling pasted on for texture. The rim on the helmet is a foam dowel with a slit carved into it, slid over the edge of the helmet.

View attachment 1549757

The spikes were made using plastic bullets from a costume bullet belt, and the flanges (And all the other metal trim for that matter) were made from craft foam cut on my Cricut.

View attachment 1549760

The base of the legs were made from popsicle sticks with nuts and bots for articulation. The armour was more craft foam, once again cut out on my Cricut. The large rivets are actual leather rivets, while the smaller rivets are dollar store stick on pearls.

View attachment 1549762

The arms were more popscicle sticks/nuts and bolts, and some apoxie sculpt over top to fill out the form. After painting it I used some pastels to try and add a bit of variation to the skintone.

View attachment 1549763

The hinge is more craft foam, with some faux leather as the strap. Pretty basic construction, I'm mostly showing it off because I like how it looks and you never get to see it since it's in the back.

View attachment 1549764

So that's it! Maybe in another few years I'll take another crack at this dude, but until then I'm pretty happy with how he looks on my shelves. Again he's a huge improvement from my previous versions. Thanks again to Zorg for the inspiration, your thread really kickstarted my desire to try making this dude again.

View attachment 1549766
excellent job!

i may have missed it but what did you end up using for the striped sleeve material?

this is the thing holding me back.

cheers

-z

excellent job!

i may have missed it but what did you end up using for the striped sleeve material?

this is the thing holding me back.

cheers

-z

I actually used the eBay seller you recommended in your thread! This one here:

I think if I remember right I got 2 fat quarters and that was plenty to cut out the sleeves. Then I just added some pastels/watered down paint to add a bit of wear and grime.

I actually used the eBay seller you recommended in your thread! This one here:

I think if I remember right I got 2 fat quarters and that was plenty to cut out the sleeves. Then I just added some pastels/watered down paint to add a bit of wear and grime.
Ahhh, glad I helped out :)

I didn't actually get around to ordering any since I'm not in the states.

Could I as a favour? Could you measure the width of the black stripes in millimetres please?

Want to check if they will work on my cannonball

Cheers

Chris

Ahhh, glad I helped out :)

I didn't actually get around to ordering any since I'm not in the states.

Could I as a favour? Could you measure the width of the black stripes in millimetres please?

Want to check if they will work on my cannonball

Cheers

Chris
Of course! The both the yellow and black stripes are 6mm wide. The stripes on the fabric run diagonally so you do need to cut the sleeves out accordingly, but at least for the scale of my Goblin the fabric worked out perfectly.

Thanks for that,

I think I worked out 6-7mm for my one. So that would be perfect.

The seller puts the price up and down all the time. It was down to about 10 dollars now its up to 19.

Ill wait for it to drop again. I have to factor in the shipping also..
Cheers

Chris

SM_IMG_1737.jpg

Sarah's music box was one of the earliest prop replicas I made, and it definitely showed in the execution. Version one was made around 5 years ago, so it felt like it was time to do some upgrades... just the exterior stuff mind you, the internal mechanisms are fine (Probably because they weren't done by me, they were handled by my friend who knows how to put together a circuit).

He did the internal mechanisms, I did all the external stuff: The figurine and the casing. The original figurine was cobbled together with some mini figures and fabric I had on hand (Which was not super accurate to the movie), and as for the casing I didn't know the best way to finish the 3D printed parts so I didn't know about the wonders of filler spray primer. I tried to just sand everything down until it was smooth to my finger, but paint reveals all your sanding sins. So it's about time for a 2022 redemption!

First off to upgrade the figure I replaced the head of my original figure with another smaller head. The body is from a Disney "Little Kingdom" mini figure (Anna, specifically), and the head is from a "Frozen II POP Adventure" playset (Again with Anna). I did have to use some Apoxie sculpt to fill out the tiny Anna head to round out the cranium/build up the nose bridge. After that which I covered up the different skin tones with some acrylic paint mixed with mod podge, adding in face with acrylic paints and pastels for the blush.

sm_20211011_104733.jpg

As far as I know we don't have great reference photos of the music box, so I resigned myself to squinting at screenshots. I started thinking the doll maybe had a fabric or flocking layer on the skin based purely on how from some angles I got the impression there was maybe some subsurface scattering going on. I figured a fabric layer might make the figurine look a little higher end, so that what I went with.

labyrinth-movie-screencaps.com-7534.jpg

I took some nylon tights and sewed a small tube-like pocket, leaving a gap around the neck to slip the figurine in. Then it was a lot of fussing and pulling and sewing to try and make the nylon fit nicely against the figurine. All the seams are in the back, where they'll be hidden by the clothing/hair.

Note, some of the below photos are from an earlier attempt with a different body/head combination that I discarded because I realised the figurine was too big. The process for wrapping it was the same so I'm including them here.

Also note that I avoided putting nylon on the arms since I wanted to reduce bulk under the sleeves. Only the shoulders and hands are visible, so I just made sure that those were nicely covered.

sm_20211005_192437.jpg
sm_20211008_181011.jpg

The "tights" were made by just sewing a line of stitching between the legs.

sm_20211008_190425.jpg
sm_20211011_175654.jpg

The skirts were made by stacking layers of fabric into a layered circle skirt, then gathering it to create the rounded shape. There's two separate skirts, with the top one having a bit of gathering to give it a bit of pizazz. The sleeves/bodice were made with a few layers of different organza fabric stacked together, with a zigzag stitch around the edges to act as serging, and I put a scrap of lace around the bodice to help tie it to the skirt (Which uses the same lace in one of the layers).

sm_20211011_155622.jpg
sm_20211230_123248.jpg
sm_20220128_101851.jpg

sm_20220128_123010.jpg

sm_20220128_173040.jpg

The decorative bits on the bodice were some different coloured embroidery thread rolled into balls, then secured with krazy glue. I also added a few beads, the same beads that are on the figures head piece (Which is just some jewelry wire twisted into shape. The hair comes from the Doll Planet on Etsy ("Americano" colour), and comes pre-curled (3mm size). I just glued the ringlets on, and the figurine was done!

Here's a comparison of the new figurine versus the old. Honestly it's a little embarrassing to see the difference in quality, the earlier version is looking pretty rough, but I guess it's nice to know that my skills (And eye for quality) has improved a lot over the years.

sm_20220130_174607.jpg

Refinishing the printed parts is pretty boring by comparison, I just used some primer filler spray and did a few passes of spraying and sanding. I ended up stippling on some liquitex modelling paste into the inset areas, I kinda liked the different in texture and figured the modelling paste would help disguise the print lines a bit, and that way I could get out of some sanding.

I had to spray/sand/paint the music box mostly whole because it was all glued together, and I didn't want to risk breaking any of the internal mechanisms by forcing it apart. This was a huge pain in the butt and the results aren't perfect, but they're definitely way better than the original.

sm_20220225_215506.jpg
sm_20220226_112320.jpg

sm_20220227_154252.jpg

Anyways that's enough talk, here's some more glamour shots:

sm_IMG_1506.jpg
sm_IMG_1709.jpg
sm_IMG_0980.jpg
sm_v2_EDIT_IMG_0809.jpg

Going above and beyond, now.
Thank you! I'm really proud with the upgrade. I don't usually like redoing older projects, I find it hard to get motivitated on redo's unless I'm doing them in a drastically different way, but after seeing how nice the music box and my Cannonball Goblin redo turned out I may need to think about giving some of my other Labyrinth props their own upgrades.

For comparison's sake, here's the makeover vs the original music box. I've also been really trying to step up my photography skills so that's helping a lot too.

sm_IMG_0984_alt.jpg
089.jpg

Also I realised it would probably be nice if I included the video showing my music box in action:

It's been a while since I've felt the motivation to do a big prop build, instead I've been focusing on improving my photography skills. A good photo can really make or break a prop, so I've been putzing around with some of my Labyrinth props and seeing what I can do.

So in honour of Labyrinth's 36th anniversary, here's a collection of some of my recent adventures in photography.

First up, some new photos of my 13 hour throne room clock. I redid the Patina since I last posted about this, the previous version was way too brown so it definitely did not read properly. The brick wall are two pieces of pink insulation foam, texturized with rolled up tinfoil. I used acetone to melt in the grout lines, added a bit of mod podge/dollar store gravel as faux mortar, then painted everything up in splotches of yellow, browns, and reds, before adding a black wash and a few layers of dry brushed grey.

sm_IS_EDIT_p_IMG_3156.jpg
sm_IS_EDIT_p_IMG_3174.jpg

As a fun mini-project I made a not-super accurate version of Didymus' staff. This was super easy, just a wooden rod with some wood finials glued together for the staff head (And a wood thimble for the bottom piece).

sm_EDIT_IMG_1797.jpg
sm_EDIT_IMG_2098.jpg

I'm trying to get new glamour shots of some of my older builds, so on that note here's some shots of my Hoggle bookend I made ages ago using Sculpey.

sm_EDIT_p_IMG_4154.png
sm_EDIT_pp_IMG_3945.png

My Jareth crop also got it's own photoshoot. I edited the heck out of this and it turned out surprisingly nice. The stone wall/floor piece are the same foam used in the throne room clock photos, with some thrift store curtains/fabric leftovers strewn about to try and cover up the gaps (I really need to make more of these faux stone pieces).

sm_GOOD_EDITpp_IMG_3562.jpg
sm_GOOD_EDIT_IMG_3621.jpg

And lastly, here's a few updated pics of my Firey plush. The backdrop is just some removeable wallpaper stuck to a bit of dollar store foam core, with more thrift store curtains and a small set of drawers I usually keep socks in.

sm_FINAL_EDIT_pIMG_4340.png
sm_FINAL_EDIT_pIMG_4351.png

It's been a while since I've felt the motivation to do a big prop build, instead I've been focusing on improving my photography skills. A good photo can really make or break a prop, so I've been putzing around with some of my Labyrinth props and seeing what I can do.

So in honour of Labyrinth's 36th anniversary, here's a collection of some of my recent adventures in photography.

First up, some new photos of my 13 hour throne room clock. I redid the Patina since I last posted about this, the previous version was way too brown so it definitely did not read properly. The brick wall are two pieces of pink insulation foam, texturized with rolled up tinfoil. I used acetone to melt in the grout lines, added a bit of mod podge/dollar store gravel as faux mortar, then painted everything up in splotches of yellow, browns, and reds, before adding a black wash and a few layers of dry brushed grey.

View attachment 1592585View attachment 1592586

As a fun mini-project I made a not-super accurate version of Didymus' staff. This was super easy, just a wooden rod with some wood finials glued together for the staff head (And a wood thimble for the bottom piece).

View attachment 1592587View attachment 1592588

I'm trying to get new glamour shots of some of my older builds, so on that note here's some shots of my Hoggle bookend I made ages ago using Sculpey.

View attachment 1592589View attachment 1592590

My Jareth crop also got it's own photoshoot. I edited the heck out of this and it turned out surprisingly nice. The stone wall/floor piece are the same foam used in the throne room clock photos, with some thrift store curtains/fabric leftovers strewn about to try and cover up the gaps (I really need to make more of these faux stone pieces).

View attachment 1592591View attachment 1592592

And lastly, here's a few updated pics of my Firey plush. The backdrop is just some removeable wallpaper stuck to a bit of dollar store foam core, with more thrift store curtains and a small set of drawers I usually keep socks in.

View attachment 1592593View attachment 1592594
I am always super impressed with everything you post in this thread. Your commitment and devotion to this movie is fantastic! I wish I could focus on 1 topic so well, I'm too scattered and keep bouncing between interests. I always look forward to a new post- keep up the great work!

I am always super impressed with everything you post in this thread. Your commitment and devotion to this movie is fantastic! I wish I could focus on 1 topic so well, I'm too scattered and keep bouncing between interests. I always look forward to a new post- keep up the great work!

Thank you! I can't quite explain my deep affection for Labyrinth, something about it just sparks my imagination and that creative urge. And honestly sometimes it's more about the challenge then anything, I find prop making can be a fun puzzle of seeing a prop and then trying to work out how to duplicate it. The bonus is that at the end of your puzzle solving you get a really cool doo-dad to put on your shelf.

I have on occasion burnt myself out on Labyrinth, but I always come back to it eventually! Although I am definitely at the point where I'm running out of shelf space.

Time for another shelf!

Excellent work as always :)
Ha ha yep, that or I might need to upgrade to bigger shelves. I'm currently working on a build inspired by the 13 hour clock that appears at the end of the film, I'm not making it true to the size of the actual clock (Which is a big honking fella), but even still it's taller than the shelves where all the rest of my Labyrinth items are hanging out.

13 hour clock.png
IS_20220623_191744.jpg

This is what I love about this site, finding an older thread any getting to enjoy a lonnnng journey in a short time. The musicbox upgrade was great to read at the end :)

Thank you so much! I actually forgot what year I initially posted this thread and had to go back and take a look myself. I'm a little embarrassed by some of my early builds, but at the same time I'm proud of the general improvements in my craft skills. Here's hoping I can keep the momentum going! I keep telling myself I want to learn 3D sculpting so I can eventually get into 3D printing, I'd love to redo the Jareth Statue/Hoggle Bookend one day to try and make them a lot closer to screen accurate.

I'm VERY keen to see your progress on this gem!

Here's what it's looking like so far! Nothing's glued down at this point as I still need to go through and sand/prime quite a bit, but majority of the major components are done. I decided to get the ornate finials laser cut through someone on Etsy, as a bonus they're also going to be able to engrave the decorative linework on the finials so I won't have to tackle that myself. The pink cardstock was there to help me figure out the size of the decorative finials.

20220705_191323_sm.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back