Jim Carrey has retired

Funky

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hot on the heals of Bruno, Carrey has announced that he has retired as an actor as well. However, he's doing it by choice, not out of necessity. Personally I think it's a shame as I really like him. But who can blame him? He's made millions and he's just done. He has said, though, that if an angel brings him a script written in gold of a story the people HAVE to see, he would reconsider and possibly do it. but for all intent and purposes, he's done.

But WHY did he end his career on "Sonic the Hedgehog 2"? LOL

For many of us, Carrey was our Jerry Lewis. Wild, manic, silly, and eventually you age out of him. Good for going out on his terms, considering how depressed and unhappy he's been in the business for so long, but quite frankly, I thought he retired years ago already. I honestly don't remember much after he did Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

I think he was at his best as Uncle Olaf in A Series of Unfortunate Events. I was hoping for more stuff like that from him.
That was almost 20 years ago now. I don't know what he's done since then.

I know some people are mixed on his dramatic work but I think he's a fantastic comedian (Dumb and Dumber is my all time favorite comedy) and I really love his serious stuff too. His retirement does come as a shock though. Between him and Bruce Willis it is sort of the end of an era.

I can't say that I'll miss him or his movies. while I have nothing against him personally, I just didn't think that he was all that funny. Like all comedians with a schtick, that schtick got tired and old after the hundredth movie with that actor playing essentially the same kind of character with the exact same schtick. Of course, it's not entirely the actor's fault, I know that Jim Carrey has tried to branch out in the past but people are so used to seeing funny Jim Carrey doing his usual shtick that they have a hard time accepting him doing anything else. Then eventually, a fresh new comedian with a new schtick comes along and replaces them and the cycle repeats.

I always thought he could have made a straight-faced career if he wanted to. Between 'Truman Show' and 'Eternal Sunshine' the public is definitely willing to watch him without the manic expressions.

Maybe the public's willingness just didn't go far enough to get him a lot of jobs. There are so many other actors to choose from for straight-faced roles. Others with more sex appeal or international draw or novelty or whatever.

Carrey does seem to be a leading-star-or-forget-it kind of actor. He never did supporting roles like John Tuturro or Harvey Keitel. Maybe that's his choice or maybe it's what he has been offered. It would be difficult to see him fitting into a larger ensemble cast with other big stars. It's a downside of his scenery-chewing comedy style.

I always figured he would age into being the next Christopher Lloyd. Couldn't you totally see him playing roles like Doc Brown or Professor Plum?

Carrey does seem to be a leading-star-or-forget-it kind of actor. He never did supporting roles like John Tuturro or Harvey Keitel. Maybe that's his choice or maybe it's what he has been offered. It would be difficult to see him fitting into a larger ensemble cast with other big stars. It's a downside of his scenery-chewing comedy style.
That could have been because of his agent and not Carrey personally. His agent could have been rejecting any script/role that didn't call for Carrey being the lead and so Carrey never did any. That or his fee was too high and so nobody was willing to cast him in a supporting role because he wanted leading man money for it.

Eternal Sunshine is his best role for me... And I've enjoyed a lot of what he did!

I'm a child of the 90's... In Living Color... Ace Ventura...

He won't be missed cuz he's retired not dead! I was never into his new stuff anyway... I actually prefer his paintings, heh.

He had a great career, and I liked a lot of his movies.
He can enjoy his retirement, and knowing that if they really want him back on screen they will have to put some serious cash on the table :)

The only supporting role he did that comes to mind is Colonel Stars & Stripes. He completely disappeared into the character. I could never take his wacky humor style for more than a few minutes, probably why the Mask is his only comedy film I still enjoy.

His roles in Yes man and and I love you Phillip Morris weren't bad either although nothing amazing.

He definitely isnt doing the energetic roles he once was doing as Ace Ventura or the Mask. He is amazing in those.
I think he would be pretty great in a streaming show or sitcom but if he's happy, he already made a ton of money.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back