JFcustom's FOAM files

Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : Labsic's mk8 IM helmet

Vanquish ARS provided by Tumbucu1 - unfold for foam by JFcustom.rar

ARS-00.gif

ARS-01.gif

Have fun :D

WHOAAAA! holy crap great idea! might have to do this DARPA

Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks # added Vanquish ARS suit.

Ref pics :

vanquish_armor_a.jpg

vanquish_armor_b.jpg

Painted undersuit, weathering and battle damages are compulsory!
Who's got an idea to see through the helmet... ?

omg this is the most awesome and complete tutorial!!! REALLY BIG THANKS!

Hi JFcustom
Firtsly I would like to thank you for the MKIV foam edits - used them for a successfull corrugantium build (corrugated cardboard) - I will post pics at somepoint.

Secondly in regards to your vision issue with the ARS helmet - maybe using some clear plastic molded to the right shape and then using something like this Stormtrooper Motorbike Helmet - Thomas Tilley which used the vehicle window advertising print system - sticky vinyl with lots of holes..

Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks ►added Vanquish ARS suit◄.

Sorry if it's not painted but I wanted to share it :)
I hope to manage to motorize it, anyway it seems it fits me and my friend's heads :p

Last edited:

JF as always I'd like to thank you for all your effort and hard work. I'd like to show you some pictures of a suit I made using your files. It was a project with a very strict 14 day deadline, completed in 13.5 days, the first 2 of which were spent mentally preparing, so 11.5 day build total. I also have a full time job and completed 2 characters in resident evil 6 during these 14 days, so this is PROOF anyone can do it.

The suit was made for a guy that lives miles away from me and was scaled to his exact size using tons of measurements sent by text.

It's a piece I am VERY proud of so I can't thank you enough. The pictures do NOT do this suit justice. The finish is an extremely glossy pearl nightfire red and solar gold which literally gleams.

Here is the new owner in the completed suit (he's been advised to pull the thighs up):

uruvyby8.jpg

jepuvyge.jpg

hasuvahu.jpg

4eva7a9a.jpg

u6e6u2e7.jpg

nice work buddy and super quick using jfs amazing files well done :D the only thing that bugs me a bit is the feet :wacko is there a section missing on them or is that attached to the legs? the gap looks big and if the person in the photo pulls the leg sections up this will increase the gap dont get me wrong im not dissing your efforts but i want to make a second attemp at my iron man suit (my old one is getting a bit tired after so many carnivals) lol and wont to double check this before i start :D thanks in advance

No worries dude, thank you for the kind words. There is actually meant to be a flap in this section that attaches to the bottom of the shins. It is only 3 parts but it does the exact thing that you are concerned about, hides the gap. It's in the shin file. I chose not to do it on this speed build because it is very flimsy and he only needed the suit for one night. It will soon be coming back to me for plastic coating and I will add those parts. Nice observation though. There is also a part at the top of the thighs I missed out, and the hip pods due to time restrictions.

JFcustom you my friend are awesome! thanx for sharing these awesome files! decided to try your improved helmet file...made it in card board just as a mock up but i think i might just resin and fiberglass it. total build time 2hrs!

20121106_031801.jpg

JFcustom you my friend are awesome! thanx for sharing these awesome files! decided to try your improved helmet file...made it in card board just as a mock up but i think i might just resin and fiberglass it. total build time 2hrs!
Two hours, it's squarely some build-racing at this point :thumbsup. And very nice work moreover.
Btw, I don't forget your Thor files, you'll get them pretty soon.

**help**
with my mk4 build im having trouble scaling the legs to fit me properly. i went +10% like i did for the upperbody parts since it worked last time...but it made the legs way to long for me since im just 5'11'' but have 28'' thighs and 18'' calves...and i still had to add 1'' panel to the thigh piece for my leg to fit. so i decided to trim the top of the thighs a few inches but now i fear ive lost proportion. should i go back down 10% and just add panels?? oh and another thing it keeps jamming and crinkling the foam where the shin and boot meet. maybe its because i used thick foam?? (1/2'' anti fatigue puzzle mats) tryn to get ready for megacon since i missed halloween. any advice help and or suggestions appreciated..

went +10% scale with the upperbody
(used stealth files up top and jfcustom files for the lower body)
IMG_20121028_183802.jpg

the legs looked great and were fast to build but too long for me :(
20121026_155631.jpg

it jams where the shin and boot meet
20121105_084901.jpg

so i modified it and removed a piece but it still jams lol.
20121105_085202.jpg

thought maybe making the boot lower might help?
SMemo_03-2.jpg

Last edited:

thats some thick foam your using there buddy could be the reason for the jamming that you have mentioned even with my legs on my suit i find there was a slight problem with moveability between feet and bottom of lets after ive been walking around for a while in mine the lower leg rubs the paint away on the top of the boot but with the thinner foam i used 6mm i think it was it kinda bent either side of the boot so it didnt catch if you see what i mean

About you thigh sizing issue, you may find a solution here : [HowTo] Fine tuning of Pepakura foam parts' size.

About the jointure between shin and boot,
thats some thick foam your using there buddy could be the reason for the jamming that you have mentioned
I agree. I think you should at first use a half thiner foam for the boots, and wear some lighter shoes inside them, like a pair of converse for example. The piece you removed at the front bottom of the shin seems very thick, and moreover was glued against the inner side of a foam part of the same thickness. It makes the apperture even narrower. You may try to trim this small flap in order to glue it in line with the shin, not inside of it.
At last, you can always split your foam in its thickness with a long blade to obtain a half thiner foam where it will keep jaming.

No worries dude, thank you for the kind words. There is actually meant to be a flap in this section that attaches to the bottom of the shins. It is only 3 parts but it does the exact thing that you are concerned about, hides the gap. It's in the shin file. I chose not to do it on this speed build because it is very flimsy and he only needed the suit for one night. It will soon be coming back to me for plastic coating and I will add those parts. Nice observation though. There is also a part at the top of the thighs I missed out, and the hip pods due to time restrictions.

right cool its just a thing that was niggling me and i was worried that because it was the simple foam version for speed building that it had been left out of the costume if you see what i mean :D

Hey, speed-build is not scamp-build ! :behave
To use these templates the only thing is that you need to use foam pieces -or cardboard- much larger than a common paper sheet. This way it's easier and that's why you save time.
But of course you can also save half of your time by droping half of your parts... :D

20121106_031801.jpg

Hot damn that looks really good

But of course you can also save half of your time by droping half of your parts... :D

Oooh sly dig mr! lol. I only dropped 3 small parts lol.

For the dude with scaling problems don't use the 10% options to scale. Use the top option in the scale menu and enter the actual height parameter in mm. If its to thick or thin for your body part just add or take away foam.

Anyway... 2 quick photos of my current mk 7 build using JFs modified darkside files. I am going to be using the mk 3 legs because I prefer them. All parts are scaled to my exact size. Still need to do the flight stabilisers, they will be motorised. The chest has had a quick attempt at plastic coating but needs a bit of work, and needs pulling tighter which will also bring the back in.

una5ejy7.jpg

sysuhyba.jpg

I also made a quick helmet but it came out HUGE, the one before it was even bigger, both failed because I measured my head wrong. 6 hours of my life I will never get back. I just found this massive head quite funny lol...

8ezu9ama.jpg

No no, I said that because billymaya made me slightly chuckle while being suspicious of the simple-speed-foam method. Of course it's not as sharp as the paper/bondo way, but I manage my templates to be as far as possible from a compromise between trashy and acceptable.

Nice MK VII so far ! :love I know the back part and its flaps are maybe the most tricky parts, but if you rush on this, at the end you may forever regret not to have spend a couple of more hours on them.

Oh, and does someone around here have a 3D model of the Blade™ weapon that comes with the Vanquish ARS suit ? Or detailed ref pics ?

Last edited:

For the dude with scaling problems don't use the 10% options to scale. Use the top option in the scale menu and enter the actual height parameter in mm. If its to thick or thin for your body part just add or take away foam.

Anyway... 2 quick photos of my current mk 7 build using JFs modified darkside files. I am going to be using the mk 3 legs because I prefer them. All parts are scaled to my exact size. Still need to do the flight stabilisers, they will be motorised. The chest has had a quick attempt at plastic coating but needs a bit of work, and needs pulling tighter which will also bring the back in.

una5ejy7.jpg

sysuhyba.jpg

I also made a quick helmet but it came out HUGE, the one before it was even bigger, both failed because I measured my head wrong. 6 hours of my life I will never get back. I just found this massive head quite funny lol...

8ezu9ama.jpg

some very nice crisp clean lines then mate :D regards the plastic coating is that using the smooth on stuff that xrobots had a thread about? im thinking about going down this route also for my next build how did you find working with it?

No no, I said that because billymaya made me slightly chuckle while being suspicious of the simple-speed-foam method. Of course it's not as sharp as the paper/bondo way, but I manage my templates to be as far as possible from a compromise between trashy and acceptable.

Nice MK VII so far ! :love I know the back part and its flaps are maybe the most tricky parts, but if you rush on this, at the end you may forever regret not to have spend a couple of more hours on them.

Oh, and does someone around here have a 3D model of the Blade™ weapon that comes with the Vanquish ARS suit ? Or detailed ref pics ?

lol jf no offence intended sorry lol cant wait to get cracking on some of your templates :D

About you thigh sizing issue, you may find a solution here : [HowTo] Fine tuning of Pepakura foam parts' size.

About the jointure between shin and boot,I agree. I think you should at first use a half thiner foam for the boots, and wear some lighter shoes inside them, like a pair of converse for example. The piece you removed at the front bottom of the shin seems very thick, and moreover was glued against the inner side of a foam part of the same thickness. It makes the apperture even narrower. You may try to trim this small flap in order to glue it in line with the shin, not inside of it.
At last, you can always split your foam in its thickness with a long blade to obtain a half thiner foam where it will keep jaming.

you guys are awesome thankyou for helping. ill take your advice and use lighter shoes and thinner foam for that particular piece. ill just remake the legs with the new sizing trick you taught me.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back