Jedi belt pouch molding suggestions

janglesworthy

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys, I've made this Jedi belt pouch, 3d printed it out in resin and now I'm trying to figure out how to make a hollow mold of it. Right now it's a single piece, but I'm debating splitting the back panel off adding some keys and making the main body a shell it glues into unless it's easier to keep it 1 single piece.

Does anyone know of any books or sites that I can check out for reference, or have any personal suggestions? Any and all feed back would be appreciated. Here are some pics of one of the pouches, the other 2 have the same anatomy just different width and sizes.

tp1.jpg

tp2.jpg

tp3.jpg

tp4.jpg

Hi
In what material are you thinking for the casting?
I assume you want it hollow.
For a one part casting you could go for a two part silicone mold and try with a PU resin good for rotocasting such as Smoothcast 65d.
You might have to prepare a pouring holeand a plug for it in the mold in order to pour the resin and rotocast it (rotating the resin in the mold by hand to achieve a hollow casting).
If it can be a full piece then any PU resin could do.
PU resin gives problems adhering to itself once it´s fully cured so I wouldn´t go for that option. Other materials like polyester resin+fiberglass could do for that, but too messy for a small part like that. I would rotocast it or cast it full.

There are lots of videos out there as for silicone mold making.

Thanks for the help udog. I think the original prop is resin so that's what I'm going for. I don't know enough yet about different resins outside of 3D printing resins to make a solid choice. Here is a picture of the original prop, I personally can't tell if it's resin I'm just guessing.

star-wars-the-exhibition-madrid---qui-gon-ginn-9_3730139174_o.jpg

soo.. anyone have any recommendations for companies who do low volume molding/reproduction in resin? I'm quickly realizing I'm not going to be able to do what I want on my own...

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back