JC's Space Marine!

Jacobalcook

Hello all!
Like many others I have been inspired by builds seen here and elsewhere and have decided to begin work on a near
full scale set of Warhammer 40k Space Marine Power Armour! I just picked up some EVA type foam that has wonderful flexibility for some construction, and is similar to what these other builds used, will need some reinforcing though.

The build I have been most inspired by was Hasenbraus's, over on Obscurus Crusade, but can also be seen here on the RPF.
Captain Titus Ultramarine armor buil: WIP
http://www.therpf.com/f24/warhammer-40k-space-marine-full-scale-new-wip-breakdown-163509/

Walking_Tiny_o.jpg

Although following Sylgian's build as it developed was equally inspiring!
http://www.therpf.com/f24/sylgians-40k-space-marine-completed-179602/

IMG_1685.JPG

So I will be using a combination of various templates to achieve my desired style of armour and fit my skill level. In my next post I'll drop a wall of photos to show progress so far! Thanks for reading!

Edit: Updated with link.

Last edited:
Hey All!
First Update here.

I spent a few hours cutting out the templates that Hasenbraus was kind enough to provide me(check out his awesome build on my first post), and have managed to throw together a lower leg with minimal casualties. I say minimal because I had to completely redo the toe...
Check out the smallish wall of pics below, and I would love your input and questions!

20140119_190904.jpg

20140119_190849.jpg
20140119_193735.jpg
Shin.jpg
Shin Seam.jpg
Heel an Toe.jpg
Boot.jpg
Full Lower Leg Scale.jpg

Hey guys!

Just thought I'd share some more of the progress I made this weekend. I constructed a kneecap, and have been experimenting placing a chapter symbol there. Right now I'm leaning towards Black Templars, but would love to hear some suggestions!

black_templar___40k_space_marine_by_mynameisbyron-d59b6fc.jpg

So I made a simple version of the chapter chapter icon to place on the knee and give me something to do while I test some black paint over plasti-dipped foam. I like it! I'll post the paint test pics in the next update, but so far I'm liking it!
20140120_003650.jpg20140120_003704.jpg20140120_115313.jpg20140120_121343.jpg

Hello all!

Another small update:
Did some testing with black spray paint and gray primer for my black templar idea, but im not a fan of how the semi gloss spray paint looks over two coats of plasti dip, for some reason. Think I will stick with the gray primer but dig out my airbrush for some nicer blending and nicer acrylic paints, so I can have more control of the details. Plus this will make it easier for me add highlights on the edges of each piece when the time comes.

Also took this as an opportunity to try some battle damage with the soldering iron. See that below along with the completed thigh piece.
Paint Test Edit.jpg
template thigh.jpg
thigh.jpg
thigh knee edit.jpg
Full Leg Edit.jpg

Attachments

• 20140121_224803.jpg
    20140121_224803.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 107
Hey hey!

No new pics today, haven't had the chance to use up my remaining foam yet, but I've been thinking a lot about chapters and symbols.
I really like the lore and concept of the space wolves, but I'm not a huge fan of the color scheme, light blue and yellow.
Space_wolves_in_the_Hunt.jpg

Black Templars are still on my mind, but I'd still like to choose a chapter with a bit more color, however the medieval-ness and chains are super cool.5._The_Black_Templar-by_kingmong.jpg

I really like the lore and concepts behind the Iron Hands too, but have the same worry about color. Maybe having a cool robotic hand would offset that...
Iron_hands_Astartes.jpg

Dark Angels are cool as well.
20120620014225!Dark_Angels.jpg

Would love to hear your guys' thoughts on your favorite chapters, I need some inspiration. Should have some pics of the right leg and pelvis pieces ready for tomorrow.

Hey Guys!
End of Weekend update!

Wrapped up the 2nd leg yesterday and cut out the templates for my next piece, the pelvis.
Also picked up some PEX pipe and connectors to begin construction on the inner frame that will reinforce the suit, like Sylgian did, as an alternative to the multiple layers of foam used in Hasenbraus suit. I will will still double up in some places, but hopefully won't need to add too much more reinforcement after the piping is in.
Still haven't picked a chapter, I cant decide if I should focus on getting the suit wearable and put off the details til later or use the time I have now while I wait for materials to do detail work like emblems etc.

20140126_201148.jpg20140126_171911.jpg20140126_171905.jpg20140126_170518.jpg20140126_170459.jpg20140125_130159.jpg

Nice! I have changed directions myself and doing a Space Marine. Haven't decided on Templar or what not. I like the RavenGuard found this cool pic image.jpg

Good evening.

Most Obscurus Crusade members may disagree with me (or roll their eyes, because I am a little bias), but I say go for Death Company.

Good evening.

Most Obscurus Crusade members may disagree with me (or roll their eyes, because I am a little bias), but I say go for Death Company.
DeathCompanyColours.jpg
Hey guys, thanks for the tips! I do actually like the look of Death Company quite a bit...
Why would the other Obscurus members disagree? This looks great, and I love the lore!
I like Raven Guard as well, they look like a fine chapter Amish.

Just finished up working on the inner frame for one leg using the pex I mentioned in the last post.
It's gonna take some fiddling to get the positioning right on the joints between the pieces, but once the pelvis is together that should be easier.
I'm also looking for a way to link the piping between the shin and the thigh using some kind of joint. I know Sylgian 3d printed a couple pieces that allowed it to pivot one direction, and I'd like to figure out something similar.
Also the knee piece on the pics below is not fitted, and needs to have a bit more of a bend to it.
20140126_231242.jpg20140126_230422.jpg20140126_230414.jpg20140126_230255.jpg20140126_230250.jpg20140126_230237.jpg

Last edited:
They don't disagree, I have been trying to increase the number of Death Company builds (including my own, which is yet to eventuate...), because they are awesome assault troops (plus, they're crazy as hell).

As you can see from my avatar (on here, Obscurus, and possibly the 405th as well), I am all for Death Company.

Have a look at rero_design's thread on Obscurus if you're interested in DC: Deathco costume first try

Or my own, discussing various Chapters/ art etc: Space Marines discussion/art thread

I always enjoy following Space Marine builds, best of luck for the rest of the build.

Hey guys!

Thanks for the links and Death Company info, I'm super stoked and excited to join the ranks!

In other more saddening news, a mysterious force caused our big garage door to be open yesterday, and exposed my completed legs to my roommates golden retriever.... The pieces I had put together are almost completely useless as they are. My roommate of course felt terrible, and I couldn't really be upset at the dog, he's super cute and has no idea what he's done. So tonight I will hopefully figure out what pieces are salvageable and what foam can be used for reinforcement or smaller pieces. Sorry for the delay on progress, will post some carnage pics soon!

Also here is my favorite Death Co pic, really like the small flamer and axe combo, thanks for the links prev!
Death_Company_by_Scebiqu.jpg

Dude... :cry

Can you salvage the pieces and call it Tyranid damage? We Death Company are renowned for being able to take A LOT of punishment before finally going down. Just look at rero's build (link a few posts back), and see how mauled his armour is...

Welcome to the grip of the Black Rage. Any questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Howdy Fellows!

Despite the fiend of chaos rearing his ugly head in my workshop and destroying much progress, I am moving on with the project! Check out the aftermath of the battle below.(WALL OF PICS, sorry for poor quality)
20140131_154437.jpg
This is pretty similar to what I saw walking into the garage.
20140131_154444.jpg
20140131_154450.jpg
Even the scrap foam took a beating!
20140131_154534.jpg
Shin piece that had its inner skeleton removed and a destroyed boot.
20140131_154551.jpg
Close up of the shin.
20140131_154618.jpg
One of the possibly salvageable pieces.
20140131_154654.jpg20140131_155238.jpg

Don't think this one will make it... but I'm ok with that. This was my first piece on this build and man was it sloppy! You can see the poor gluing in the pic above.
20140131_154708.jpg20140131_154729.jpg
The two thigh pieces, one maybe can pass as wear and tear?
20140131_154512.jpg20140131_154505.jpg20140131_154618.jpg20140131_155137.jpg
This foot is possibly salvageable, I would love input from anyone has had experience caulking foam like this, not sure if I can make all those little punctures look clean, or if they could pass as battle damage? I'm wondering the same thing as the still assembled but damaged thigh piece. If I can get the boot and the thigh back together I'll have a nearly complete leg!

20140131_155054.jpg
The hardened survivors look on with sadness.

Haha thanks for the comments guys. I ended up reassembling both boots, and if i do an averagely ok job caulking, I think I can easily pass of the rest as tyranid damage, which is probably good. I think tyranids are not really represented well or enough outside of 40k circles. Anyways, you'll see the pics below, but I used up my remaining foam to start cutting out the other leg and pelvis, which I am beginning assembly on this afternoon. So, hopefully pictures tonight!

Also, I made a primitive joint for my surviving leg skeleton, used a drill and a couple zip ties. It is only temporary but I'm hoping it will inspire some greater thought on my part, for a final solution to that issue.

20140131_170329.jpg20140131_170335.jpg20140131_170342.jpg
Here's a bit of the patch job I did on the boot, which I may or may not use, would love your guys input, I think it kinda looks cool, but I could always cut a piece to actually fill the gap.

20140131_171018.jpg
This is the damage on the thigh piece I am going to try to live with, will probably fill some holes, but the bite marks might be cool? also plasti-dip, my currently planned treatment, may help cover the shallower bits, which my be hard to discern once it's painted black.

20140131_171323.jpg
Here's what I wrapped up with last night, keep in mind, both boots are damaged and have undergone repairs, as well as the thigh. I finished up another toe this morning that I was pretty happy with, and will post pics of that and the other leg when I wrap those up.

20140131_171613.jpg
The daemon himself!!!!

P.S. Can anyone help me get these ****** pictures to stop flipping sideways when I post them? I just upgraded my custom PC to windows 8.1 and all of the sudden they look fine on the photo viewer but rotate when I upload...

Just a side note... did the dog eat any of those? He might get really sick from it.

Sorry for the damage, but i gotta say... looks pretty cool in the battle damage kind of way!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back