JB/Vaderguy...still alive???

vaders evil twin

I have been trying to reach him for over a month. If anyone knows the status of this guy please feel free to chime in. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rob

I know he's been active in replying to people in the last month, so it will just be the usual matter of who he choses to respond to unfortunately....

cheers,

Thomas

WHY aren't the mods doing anything about this apalling situation?

It's not like this is the first time one of JB's customers has been treated like this. He does it to ALL his customers.

The lack of communication, missed deadlines, false shipping dates are exactly the same thing that EDC Studios used to do.

mverta is still waiting for his helmet and he paid a deposit in 2003.

This has got to stop. It's crap like this which destroys the fun in this hobby in my opinion.

I hope you get some kind of response from him and get your item in a realistic timescale. Good luck.

If you want to avoid massive amounts of stress and frustration, my advice would be to avoid JB at all costs. I was a nervous wreck at the end of my transaction with him and I will never, ever deal with him again. I know that I'm definitely NOT the only one who feels like this. :(

Chris

I echo those sentiments entirely....and also had my 1.5 years of waiting and excuses....

And I can see that JB is affecting an entirely new generation of RPF members.....mods take note...this member has only 45 posts and is already experiencing the same crap from JB...any further delays in considering the recasting case against him along with his treatment of customers will only further affect newcomers here....

Good luck...

Thomas

I have received an email from JB. Apparently he is busy with a contract for someone and that's why he hasn't seen his email.... I can't wait to get my Vader tho ;)

...Actually JB told me that he doesn't take Deposits.. is this something he changed a while back? If he still takes deposits and it would mean that I got it sooner I would give him a deposit... Maybe :confused

Excuse # 10000000000000001

I think it's time the RPF booted this guy for good. He's a bad egg and it's not fair to new unuspecting potential customers of that guy. We need to do something about this mess once and for all

Dave :angry

Well, if you want to be in the same position as mverta, by all means go ahead and send him a deposit.

Just remember, mverta paid a deposit in MAY 2003 and he STILL hasn't received a helmet from JB. I've seen all the email replies from JB and you would not believe the amount of "your helmet is shipping tomorrow" crap that he's come out with.

Like I said, if you want to ignore what I feel is good advice, it's your decision but please don't complain if you still haven't received your helmet after 2 years.

Sorry for the tone of my reply but I think people really need to understand what they're letting themselves in for if they choose to go the JB route for a Vader helmet. :(

Chris

Originally posted by Phase@Sep 4 2005, 04:27 PM
I have received an email from JB.  Apparently he is busy with a contract for someone and that's why he hasn't seen his email.... I can't wait to get my Vader tho ;)
[snapback]1071275[/snapback]​

I don't want to take sides, but has JB been pushing his helmets here? I'm not talking about years ago. Would a noob go to him based on what has been posted previously? If they did, how could the board be held responsible? They should know the risks involved.

My personal experience (and yes, I can be considered a noob): I found out about JB through another website that cataloged a ton of Star Wars helmets. I dug around and managed to find JB's website. I contacted him. With some emails, I had to wait some time for a reply. I even had to remind him from time to time, but he delivered what was promised with no down-payment required.

If he's selectively replying to emails, then that is bad business in my opinion, but I'm not one to tell him how to run his. Who can?

I'm waiting on armor that was sent to him last October that he told me he'd be painting and shipping in a few weeks.

The last update I got about it shipping in a week was three months ago.

I have been e-mailing him too without any response.

He did ship my Vader helmet after two years, and it does look great. But after I get this armor, a model buildup commission that I sent to another member last year and a TIE kit I am waiting on from another member I have been waiting on for a year, I think I am retiring from this hobby. I don't care anymore what anyone says, side hobby or not. I get my costume gloves out to people within 2-3 months tops, waiting 2-3 years with endless excuses after lots of money has been deposited is just f*cking insane, especially when it's the same excuse every time you ask for an update. The fact there is no courtesy in communication in a timely fashion when you e-mail them or regular updates just adds insult to injury.

JV

Originally posted by clutch@Sep 4 2005, 12:58 PM
I don't want to take sides, but has JB been pushing his helmets here? 

There was a huge thread on his production and the delays...it might be in the archives. Members (including myself) have shown their JB helmets/armor on the RPF and he is a member here which is possibly why Rob posted a request for information thread on JB.

cheers,

Thomas

Originally posted by Phase@Sep 4 2005, 12:33 PM
...Actually JB told me that he doesn't take Deposits.. is this something he changed a while back?  If he still takes deposits and it would mean that I got it sooner I would give him a deposit... Maybe :confused

He used to take deposits and I think ended up refunding some of them because he couldn't come through in a reasonable timeframe with orders. I suppose now he just wants it all up front. Plus he started making ESB helmets even before finishing outstanding orders on ANH helmets from his original batch and it seems some people are still waiting on those.

I'm sure others have noticed that he is very quick to reply when it comes to the initial interest and getting to the point of paying him but once he has the money good luck in hearing from him...be prepared to pester him for months...

I have all the emails still....1.5 years worth....

cheers,

Thomas

Originally posted by jvasilatos@Sep 4 2005, 01:09 PM
... But after I get this armor, a model buildup commission that I sent to another member last year and a TIE kit I am waiting on from another member I have been waiting on for a year, I think I am retiring from this hobby.  I don't care anymore what anyone says, side hobby or not....
JV
[snapback]1071322[/snapback]​

.....I don't think the extensive waiting periods are exclusive to JB.....seems like everyone who makes a high-demand product has loooong waiting times. Not to excuse the lack of correspondance.....a little communication does go a long way.

After some initial frustrations, he did send me my orders and they are spectacular pieces......definitely worth the wait. And I did not have to send a deposit, but I was honestly very frustrated at times.....ultimately it all worked out in the end. I'd say keep pumping out the e-mails and posting here...

I went thru so much stress with JB that I would like to recommend that new buyers avoid him. He does not deliver timely, he stalls and lies in emails, he avoids answering emails and his products are not off screen used like advertised.

Buyer beware.

My ESB helmet arrived 2-3 months after payment (and was supposedly in stock), and the matching armour 2-3 months later (JB told me he was sending me his "personal" set, and this set was eventually "lost" in transit) I beleive several members have been told they're receiving his "personal" helmets or armour.

I send many many e-mails begging for info on approximate shipping dates, several times I was told "it'll be shipping this week" and it didn't happen.

In frustration I threatened legal action from my credit card company. That didn't change a thing, in fact JB didn't personally e-mail me ever again, his shipping middleman Carlo did all the work that JB should have.

His shipping contact in NJ was my only saviour (thanks pal), and I really got on his nerves with plea after plea for any news. Carlo was a gentleman throughout the whole ordeal, JB was not.

I think I was lucky to have received my stuff within the 6-7 months it took.

Very prompt e-mails leading up to my payment, and bugger all after payment.

Buyer beware indeed.

Alan.

I let myself get duped. I followed the threads originally when JB was having trouble getting his helmets out to members after they waited up to two years. I read all the complaints members made about the wait and lack of communication. I read all of the excuses, promises and self defending statements JB made. So I stayed clear. Then helmets started shipping and some members began posting pics of his work and praise that JB comes through. I began to think that maybe he finally did get that paint issue solved that seemed to cause so many delays and stress for countless members. So back in February I decided to contact him about price and availability. Oh for joy... JB wrote back that he had a helmet available from the current run ready to ship for $850. I sent him half soon after to "hold it" for me and the other half by the middle of March. Mind you I recieved quite a few emails from JB during this period asking if I still wanted the helmet, when do you think you will send the payment, let me know when you send the payment? The following month he replied to a couple of my emails saying he "had to put out a couple fires on the home front" or "Ive been sick." In his last email he said " I'll be shipping again this week and I'll send you your tracking number ASAP.

That was April 4 and the last I heard from him. My wife and I had our first child a week later and I havent had much time or energy to follow up for a while. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt and havent bothered contacting him for months. But Ive sent numerous emails and pm's over the past five or six weeks now and have had no response. Now I just want my money back if thats at all possible. He can pi$$ on his helmets for all I care. Im more upset with myself for not going with my instincts on this one. There is no excuse for this type of practice and I urge anyone who is considering dealing with him not to send him a dime until you have the product in your hands.

Just thought I let you all know.

Rob

An unvarnished summary of my dealings with JB:
My original deal for my Vader parts was with Ghost Host begining in November 2003. I purchased a set of chest armor and a ROTJ helmet from GH, and on his recommendation, commissioned JB to finish the items. After my purchase, and during subsequent pleasent (and enjoyable) exchanges with GH, I decided I was interested in something more ESB than ROTJ. GH proposed mating his ROTJ facemash with his ANH Dome(with some modification of course) to create the Vader I was after. When I asked JB if he could do this for me, he sent me pictures of his ESB helmet. He claimed it was cast off a screen-used "hero" helmet. It was exactly what I was after, but I had already commited to buying GH's helmet, and I didn't want to back out on him. JB said he would trade me straight up - ROTJ casting for ESB casting. That way GH wouldn't lose a sale, and I'd get what I wanted. I told GH what was going on, and he was confused, as he had already made the same trade with JB. What did that tell me? Well it made me wonder - I'll tell ya that much. Then I asked a friend how much he paid for his JB ESB - well, I'll tell you it was less than a GH ROTJ plus JB finishing fees, but I made the trade, so that's on me.
So - that's $650 for the GH armor casting (ready within 2 weeks as promised - shipped straight to JB)
$450 for the JB (fantastic I must say) finishing service.
$650 for the GH ROTJ Helmet (traded for a JB ESB)
another $450 to JB for the finishing.
Grand total for helmet and armor: $2200.00
JB quoted me 6 weeks to complete the helmet after he recieved the ROTJ casting, but he also told me he had started the helmet in February. He recieved the ROTJ casting in May.
I did my fair share of pestering JB over the next many months and eventually got my stuff in February 2005. Took close to a year, but when I got it, I saw that it was worth the wait.
I never once got a lie about a shipping date, but I did get a lot of excuses. Most of the excuses had to do with the paint problems he was having, and once he had those solved, I got my stuff. So, from my point of view, he was telling the truth.
Don't get me wrong - I tried to pin him down to a shipping date, but he never went for it. He always said "I'll try to have it done by then but..." - and I knew not to count on it. I'd be curious to know if others who said he commited to a shipping date actually had a similar experience...

Anyway. Now it seems JB's wares may not be what he boasted. However, they are nice. However, I no longer own my GH or JB Vader items. I sold them, as I personally believe that they are all recasts. Gorgeous recasts -no doubt, but recasts none-the-less. I will likely never own a Vader again, as noone thus far is offering anything 3rd gen, or less.
Call me a perfectionist, but...well there ya go. For what it's worth. :unsure

Originally posted by KevVader+Sep 4 2005, 06:57 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KevVader @ Sep 4 2005, 06:57 PM)</div>
After some initial frustrations, he did send me my orders and they are spectacular pieces......definitely worth the wait.
[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-jedipunk
@Sep 7 2005, 03:57 AM
Took close to a year, but when I got it, I saw that it was worth the wait.

Y'see, that's where we differ.

It took 18 months to get my helmet and after the lies, the lack of communication, the follwup lies and him trying to make me the bad guy for demanding that he follow through with his responsibilities, sure, it's a nice helmet....

...but I'll never consider it "worth the wait".

Hell, it could've been hand-delivered by Dave Prowse and James Earl Jones and I still wouldn't have considered it "worth the wait". :lol

The biggest irony I'm getting out of this whole fiasco is that, about 14 months into my wait, during one of the many "Where the hell is JB?." threads, I quite "vocally" tore into him here and was shouted down by a number of people here for "whining" and to "suck it up because I'M waiting too"....

...and now I see a bunch of those "defenders" here tearing JB a new one. :rolleyes

"I'll defend him until I know I get my helmet safe and sound, and then..." :lol

It's why I won't show off my helmet for anyone here.

Couldn't stand with me then... no reason to play "cozy-cozy" now.

For the record, JB promised me compensation for my troubles....

To this day, one year later, he hasn't followed through.

I don't expect him to.

He doesn't know how to "be a man".

Russ

I think it's reprehensible that someone would take your money without having an item to ship. Fine, maybe a nominal deposit (10, maybe 20%) but to bank money when you haven't an item to ship is just bad business.

I know that that SPFX guy is a bit of a nut and recaster etc but I never heard of him shipping an item he didn't have ready to go. (AFAIK). Correct me if I'm wrong.

In spite of my own words against SPFX, I agree....at least he delivers his products and has them in hand prior to trying to sell them.

cheers,

Thomas

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back