JB/Vaderguy...still alive???

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by vaders evil twin, Sep 4, 2005.

1. vaders evil twin

vaders evil twin New Member

I have been trying to reach him for over a month. If anyone knows the status of this guy please feel free to chime in. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rob

2. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

I know he's been active in replying to people in the last month, so it will just be the usual matter of who he choses to respond to unfortunately....

cheers,

Thomas

3. cking

cking Sr Member

WHY aren't the mods doing anything about this apalling situation?

It's not like this is the first time one of JB's customers has been treated like this. He does it to ALL his customers.

The lack of communication, missed deadlines, false shipping dates are exactly the same thing that EDC Studios used to do.

mverta is still waiting for his helmet and he paid a deposit in 2003.

This has got to stop. It's crap like this which destroys the fun in this hobby in my opinion.

I hope you get some kind of response from him and get your item in a realistic timescale. Good luck.

If you want to avoid massive amounts of stress and frustration, my advice would be to avoid JB at all costs. I was a nervous wreck at the end of my transaction with him and I will never, ever deal with him again. I know that I'm definitely NOT the only one who feels like this. :(

Chris

4. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

I echo those sentiments entirely....and also had my 1.5 years of waiting and excuses....

And I can see that JB is affecting an entirely new generation of RPF members.....mods take note...this member has only 45 posts and is already experiencing the same crap from JB...any further delays in considering the recasting case against him along with his treatment of customers will only further affect newcomers here....

Good luck...

Thomas

5. Phase

Phase New Member

I have received an email from JB. Apparently he is busy with a contract for someone and that's why he hasn't seen his email.... I can't wait to get my Vader tho ;)

6. Phase

Phase New Member

...Actually JB told me that he doesn't take Deposits.. is this something he changed a while back? If he still takes deposits and it would mean that I got it sooner I would give him a deposit... Maybe :confused

7. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member

Excuse # 10000000000000001

I think it's time the RPF booted this guy for good. He's a bad egg and it's not fair to new unuspecting potential customers of that guy. We need to do something about this mess once and for all

Dave :angry

8. cking

cking Sr Member

Well, if you want to be in the same position as mverta, by all means go ahead and send him a deposit.

Just remember, mverta paid a deposit in MAY 2003 and he STILL hasn't received a helmet from JB. I've seen all the email replies from JB and you would not believe the amount of "your helmet is shipping tomorrow" crap that he's come out with.

Like I said, if you want to ignore what I feel is good advice, it's your decision but please don't complain if you still haven't received your helmet after 2 years.

Sorry for the tone of my reply but I think people really need to understand what they're letting themselves in for if they choose to go the JB route for a Vader helmet. :(

Chris

9. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

I don't want to take sides, but has JB been pushing his helmets here? I'm not talking about years ago. Would a noob go to him based on what has been posted previously? If they did, how could the board be held responsible? They should know the risks involved.

My personal experience (and yes, I can be considered a noob): I found out about JB through another website that cataloged a ton of Star Wars helmets. I dug around and managed to find JB's website. I contacted him. With some emails, I had to wait some time for a reply. I even had to remind him from time to time, but he delivered what was promised with no down-payment required.

If he's selectively replying to emails, then that is bad business in my opinion, but I'm not one to tell him how to run his. Who can?

10. jvasilatos

jvasilatos Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm waiting on armor that was sent to him last October that he told me he'd be painting and shipping in a few weeks.

The last update I got about it shipping in a week was three months ago.

I have been e-mailing him too without any response.

He did ship my Vader helmet after two years, and it does look great. But after I get this armor, a model buildup commission that I sent to another member last year and a TIE kit I am waiting on from another member I have been waiting on for a year, I think I am retiring from this hobby. I don't care anymore what anyone says, side hobby or not. I get my costume gloves out to people within 2-3 months tops, waiting 2-3 years with endless excuses after lots of money has been deposited is just f*cking insane, especially when it's the same excuse every time you ask for an update. The fact there is no courtesy in communication in a timely fashion when you e-mail them or regular updates just adds insult to injury.

JV

11. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

There was a huge thread on his production and the delays...it might be in the archives. Members (including myself) have shown their JB helmets/armor on the RPF and he is a member here which is possibly why Rob posted a request for information thread on JB.

cheers,

Thomas

12. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

He used to take deposits and I think ended up refunding some of them because he couldn't come through in a reasonable timeframe with orders. I suppose now he just wants it all up front. Plus he started making ESB helmets even before finishing outstanding orders on ANH helmets from his original batch and it seems some people are still waiting on those.

I'm sure others have noticed that he is very quick to reply when it comes to the initial interest and getting to the point of paying him but once he has the money good luck in hearing from him...be prepared to pester him for months...

I have all the emails still....1.5 years worth....

cheers,

Thomas

13. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

.....I don't think the extensive waiting periods are exclusive to JB.....seems like everyone who makes a high-demand product has loooong waiting times. Not to excuse the lack of correspondance.....a little communication does go a long way.

After some initial frustrations, he did send me my orders and they are spectacular pieces......definitely worth the wait. And I did not have to send a deposit, but I was honestly very frustrated at times.....ultimately it all worked out in the end. I'd say keep pumping out the e-mails and posting here...

14. vader71

vader71 Sr Member

I went thru so much stress with JB that I would like to recommend that new buyers avoid him. He does not deliver timely, he stalls and lies in emails, he avoids answering emails and his products are not off screen used like advertised.

Buyer beware.

15. Fatherless One

Fatherless One Well-Known Member

My ESB helmet arrived 2-3 months after payment (and was supposedly in stock), and the matching armour 2-3 months later (JB told me he was sending me his "personal" set, and this set was eventually "lost" in transit) I beleive several members have been told they're receiving his "personal" helmets or armour.

I send many many e-mails begging for info on approximate shipping dates, several times I was told "it'll be shipping this week" and it didn't happen.

In frustration I threatened legal action from my credit card company. That didn't change a thing, in fact JB didn't personally e-mail me ever again, his shipping middleman Carlo did all the work that JB should have.

His shipping contact in NJ was my only saviour (thanks pal), and I really got on his nerves with plea after plea for any news. Carlo was a gentleman throughout the whole ordeal, JB was not.

I think I was lucky to have received my stuff within the 6-7 months it took.

Very prompt e-mails leading up to my payment, and * all after payment.

Buyer beware indeed.

Alan.

16. vaders evil twin

I let myself get duped. I followed the threads originally when JB was having trouble getting his helmets out to members after they waited up to two years. I read all the complaints members made about the wait and lack of communication. I read all of the excuses, promises and self defending statements JB made. So I stayed clear. Then helmets started shipping and some members began posting pics of his work and praise that JB comes through. I began to think that maybe he finally did get that paint issue solved that seemed to cause so many delays and stress for countless members. So back in February I decided to contact him about price and availability. Oh for joy... JB wrote back that he had a helmet available from the current run ready to ship for $850. I sent him half soon after to "hold it" for me and the other half by the middle of March. Mind you I recieved quite a few emails from JB during this period asking if I still wanted the helmet, when do you think you will send the payment, let me know when you send the payment? The following month he replied to a couple of my emails saying he "had to put out a couple fires on the home front" or "Ive been sick." In his last email he said " I'll be shipping again this week and I'll send you your tracking number ASAP.

That was April 4 and the last I heard from him. My wife and I had our first child a week later and I havent had much time or energy to follow up for a while. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt and havent bothered contacting him for months. But Ive sent numerous emails and pm's over the past five or six weeks now and have had no response. Now I just want my money back if thats at all possible. He can pi$$ on his helmets for all I care. Im more upset with myself for not going with my instincts on this one. There is no excuse for this type of practice and I urge anyone who is considering dealing with him not to send him a dime until you have the product in your hands.

Just thought I let you all know.

Rob

17. Reel Fakes

Reel Fakes Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

An unvarnished summary of my dealings with JB:
    My original deal for my Vader parts was with Ghost Host begining in November 2003. I purchased a set of chest armor and a ROTJ helmet from GH, and on his recommendation, commissioned JB to finish the items. After my purchase, and during subsequent pleasent (and enjoyable) exchanges with GH, I decided I was interested in something more ESB than ROTJ. GH proposed mating his ROTJ facemash with his ANH Dome(with some modification of course) to create the Vader I was after. When I asked JB if he could do this for me, he sent me pictures of his ESB helmet. He claimed it was cast off a screen-used "hero" helmet. It was exactly what I was after, but I had already commited to buying GH's helmet, and I didn't want to back out on him. JB said he would trade me straight up - ROTJ casting for ESB casting. That way GH wouldn't lose a sale, and I'd get what I wanted. I told GH what was going on, and he was confused, as he had already made the same trade with JB. What did that tell me? Well it made me wonder - I'll tell ya that much. Then I asked a friend how much he paid for his JB ESB - well, I'll tell you it was less than a GH ROTJ plus JB finishing fees, but I made the trade, so that's on me.
    So - that's $650 for the GH armor casting (ready within 2 weeks as promised - shipped straight to JB)
    $450 for the JB (fantastic I must say) finishing service.
    $650 for the GH ROTJ Helmet (traded for a JB ESB)
    another $450 to JB for the finishing.
    Grand total for helmet and armor: $2200.00
    JB quoted me 6 weeks to complete the helmet after he recieved the ROTJ casting, but he also told me he had started the helmet in February. He recieved the ROTJ casting in May.
    I did my fair share of pestering JB over the next many months and eventually got my stuff in February 2005. Took close to a year, but when I got it, I saw that it was worth the wait.
    I never once got a lie about a shipping date, but I did get a lot of excuses. Most of the excuses had to do with the paint problems he was having, and once he had those solved, I got my stuff. So, from my point of view, he was telling the truth.
    Don't get me wrong - I tried to pin him down to a shipping date, but he never went for it. He always said "I'll try to have it done by then but..." - and I knew not to count on it. I'd be curious to know if others who said he commited to a shipping date actually had a similar experience...

Anyway. Now it seems JB's wares may not be what he boasted. However, they are nice. However, I no longer own my GH or JB Vader items. I sold them, as I personally believe that they are all recasts. Gorgeous recasts -no doubt, but recasts none-the-less. I will likely never own a Vader again, as noone thus far is offering anything 3rd gen, or less.
    Call me a perfectionist, but...well there ya go. For what it's worth. :unsure

18. Darth Bill

Darth Bill Well-Known Member

Y'see, that's where we differ.

It took 18 months to get my helmet and after the lies, the lack of communication, the follwup lies and him trying to make me the bad guy for demanding that he follow through with his responsibilities, sure, it's a nice helmet....

...but I'll never consider it "worth the wait".

Hell, it could've been hand-delivered by Dave Prowse and James Earl Jones and I still wouldn't have considered it "worth the wait". :lol

The biggest irony I'm getting out of this whole fiasco is that, about 14 months into my wait, during one of the many "Where the hell is JB?." threads, I quite "vocally" tore into him here and was shouted down by a number of people here for "whining" and to "suck it up because I'M waiting too"....

...and now I see a bunch of those "defenders" here tearing JB a new one. :rolleyes

"I'll defend him until I know I get my helmet safe and sound, and then..." :lol

It's why I won't show off my helmet for anyone here.

Couldn't stand with me then... no reason to play "cozy-cozy" now.

For the record, JB promised me compensation for my troubles....

To this day, one year later, he hasn't followed through.

I don't expect him to.

He doesn't know how to "be a man".

Russ

19. HAL9000

HAL9000 Sr Member

I think it's reprehensible that someone would take your money without having an item to ship. Fine, maybe a nominal deposit (10, maybe 20%) but to bank money when you haven't an item to ship is just bad business.

I know that that SPFX guy is a bit of a nut and recaster etc but I never heard of him shipping an item he didn't have ready to go. (AFAIK). Correct me if I'm wrong.

20. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

In spite of my own words against SPFX, I agree....at least he delivers his products and has them in hand prior to trying to sell them.

cheers,

Thomas

21. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Though JB's items are nicely finished, Ihave to agree with the majority. I got false promises false shipping dates and almost no communication. I felt like I had to pull teeth and threaten (followed up by action) just to get a communication. I too feel this needs to be put to an end. He should not be ablw to accept any kind pf payments until his current obligations are met. The mods should definitely ban this guy so he cant accept any more $$$.

22. CTF

CTF Sr Member

He once had the nerve to tell me that if I didn't make up my mind soon about buying a bucket, he'll remove me from his database. Lucky for me... :p

23. darth_manu

darth_manu Well-Known Member

after many threads showing off JB's helmet
    i contacted JB myself

i emailed him about the helmets i got no repsonse
    i emailed him again with the same email i got

" who refer you to me?"

i answered and got no reply
    i emailed him again and got no reply

after i got in contact with cantina_dude here on rpf who works with JB, he answered all of my emails in no less than a day. after many threads about the wait, i decided to hold off on his helmet

that was my experience

24. Yorpheus

Yorpheus Well-Known Member

Well there you have it. Selective replies to e-mails. I already knew he was like this, but I'm glad you posted your experience so other people know how he can be.

The guy is a bum.

25. Darth Clayton

Darth Clayton Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey all..

Thought I would drop my 2 cents in.. I have been dealing with Mike/JB since July 2005 when I had him make me a set of ROTJ armor & bucket. :thumbsup Mike and JB both have been very prompt at answering my e-mails (usually within a couple of hours) and I have had no problems communicating with either one.

:D AMOF, JB e-mailed me yesterday and said my pieces should be ready to ship next week (knock on wood).. I requested that I would like to have them by mid/late September and it looks like it's going to happen. I'll let you know how I make out..

Later.

26. Fatherless One

Fingers crossed for ya pal.

He will come through I'm sure, but when is the BIG question.

I do love my JB ESB helmet and matching armour, but the wait was agony.

Alan.

27. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member

Yeah, this is very normal for JB.......he favors some customers but neglects others. I can tell you that the loudest sometimes fare better than the quietest. Good luck to you all.

28. vaders evil twin

Well, Ive finally had it with this loser. I am now asking for a refund. Ill be surprised if I can get that back. One lie too many for me. Anyone thinkin about buying a helmet from JB aka Vaderguy, think again. I would advise anyone considering dealing with JB to stay away from this A-h***. I waited 10 months for something that was supposed to be "ready to ship ASAP". What is going on inside this morons head???

Rob

29. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

Nothing different from what normally went on apparently :(.

Sorry to hear of your trouble...

How many more have to suffer?

T

30. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

Who else is currently either owed product or money?

Let's get a list together and see what JB has to say for himself.

Lonnie

31. Fatherless One

I'm sure that's one of the things that JB loves about the internet, that fact there's nothing anyone can do to force him to respond to anything.

I felt truly helpless during my dealings with him, I will never deal with him again.

It was hell, he wasn't even man enough to reply to my emails, if it wasn't for his middleman in NJ pestering him on my behalf I would have probably still been waiting.

I'm in Australia and he's in Canada so I felt totally stranded.

Sorry to hear of your trouble with him, good luck with refunds or getting your goods.

Alan.

32. vaders evil twin

I am so pi$$ed. I just hope anyone else who might be thinking about dealin with this jerk reads this thread. Im also interested to know how many others on this forum are in the same position. I know Im not alone.

Rob

33. vader71

vader71 Sr Member

Good luck....I was told several weeks it would be done. I asked several times to be sure. It was way over a year....

The guy is bad business.

Buyer beware.

34. Liquidjedi

Liquidjedi Active Member

JB owes me an ANH Helmet. I paid in full back in Aug. 2003.

Craig

35. Star Wars Helmets

Star Wars Helmets Sr Member

OVER TWO YEARS FOR A FREAKING HELMET......

That is a disgrace, Craig you must be pulling your hair out :(

Jez

36. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member

Two years is absolutely ridiculous... MODs, you really need to eliminate this joker from the RPF in general............and most particularly the Junkyard. He continues to prey on our members and it has to stop...

Dave :(

37. Lord of the props

Lord of the props Well-Known Member

I bought my ESB Vader helmet from JB and then I sent him an unpainted ESB chestarmor on the same time and he did a great job on the chest and the helmet was very nice.
    I ordered mine in April and got it in July. I had no problem what so ever.

I must have been very lucky or maybe he didn´t have so much orders back then.

38. jeezycreezy

jeezycreezy Well-Known Member

Two years is about what I waited for my ANH Vader... :rolleyes

39. jeezycreezy

jeezycreezy Well-Known Member

Also, I'm not sure if JB owes me anything or not. What do you think?

The Reader's Digest version...

I paid on three separate occasions for an ANH Vader (before he even offered them here -- I actually stumbled on JB through an eBay auction he had before I'd ever heard of the RPF), stormtrooper armor (with helmet) and a TIE helmet.

I had my money moved around a lot. I outlined some of this in this thread:

http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=99772

Long story short, after two years I wound up with an ANH Vader and about a year later, an ESB ANH Vader helmet.

This was because I saw evidence that he was making ESB Vaders but nothing to indicate anything else, so I figured I'd tell him to forgo all other agreements and send me an ESB Vader helmet or I'd call him out here. Figured I'd rather have one of something than two of nothing.

Because of that, technically he might not owe me anything. But I did pay for three things and only got two. And he promised me on one occasion that he would hook me up with trooper armor even after I said I was done with him after the ESB Vader. He once offered me an unassembled stormtrooper helmet for my troubles that I never got.

Mind you, I've never pursued this with JB personally so I'm not sure how fair it is to say he owes me something publicly without at least giving the chance to fabricate some lie to explain himself.

Cheers.
    TJ

40. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

I've still got my JB ANH up for grabs if anyone wants it. ;)

41. vaders evil twin

I remember when he told me his "turn around time" was two weeks. :lol Oh, what a load of crap. Still no response for my request for a refund. I guess he's still trying to figure out how my name was checked as shipped when apparently it was not. I am curious to know what it would take to get this guy banned from the forum. This is a never ending cycle with this crook.

Rob

42. Durasteel Corporation

Durasteel Corporation Well-Known Member

Well I will not defend JB, but I will say that as a costume maker, there are times when crap just spins out of control and the time frame promise becomes moot.

That is why I give myself nearly three times the presumed time. If it takes a day, I give myself three. Takes a month...I give three months.

D

43. darth marcus

darth marcus New Member

To those doubters and naysayers.....You will have your product and he should be replying to those who still have unanswered questions in the VERY near future. JB apologizes for the lapse and is working to rectify any problems or snafu's. Your products will be shipped very shortly and if you have any questions PM me. I am in Ohio (US) and will help anyway I can. Cheers.

44. Ghost Host

Ghost Host Sr Member

So who are you and how are you involved with JB?

45. vader71

vader71 Sr Member

More JB spin? You have to be kidding us.....

What makes you qualified to offer these promises for a guy that can not follow thru and has questionable ethics as it is?

46. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member

And this latest line of BS comforts the guys waiting over 2 years now....HOW????

47. vaders evil twin

Naysayer??? Im sorry, but when someone tells you they have a helmet ready to ship once payment is sent and 10 months later you have received squat, you know you've been handed a croc of $hit.

48. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

What I am curious about is that if JB is REALLY sincere about offering some assurances to the members here that have shown incredible patience, then it is poor form to use yet another middleman. JB is a member here. This thread is about his customers....his PRESENT customers who are RPF members and who are waiting for refunds...it's no longer about waiting for product. JB should take some responsibility for what he has put his customers through and come on here and provide a solid timeframe for either a refund or a delivery for each customer. It is clear he has no interest in dealing with customers in a timely manner...which is basic, basic courtesy.

JB reads every email he gets.

Look, if you have a computer and you run a business that makes as much money as JB's does AND you have a website showing off those products (or his collection as it may well be), then I'm sure he's going to check his email if he has new customers. Think about it. Who in this day and age cannot manage to reply to an email within a week unless they are in Tibet or something? If I sent him an email asking about progress....no reply. If I ask him about buying something else from him....reply the next day. If I ask him how much longer on the painting....no reply or a reply three weeks later. If I intimate that someone said his work is not from original pieces....he replies WITHIN A COUPLE OF HOURS.

Thomas

49. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member

If JB were a ligitimate honest business person, he'd confront his critics swiftly and justly. He can't do that because he can't or won't deliver the goods these hardworking consumers paid for months and years ago.

I feel sorry for you that deem it necessary for you to defend this guy over and over. I speak from experience. I used to defend EDC because he had property of mine that I desperately wanted back.............but I'll not ever defend him again, good guy or not............he's just a bad with his business practices and I'll never again knowingly allow other potential buyers to fall into the same traps set by EDC that I fell into.

Don't waste your time on people like these guys.......you will make far more enemies than you will friends just because you take a stance that helps him in any way. He took these people's money and he's given nothing in return. That is robbery as I see it.

Dave :(

50. Vaapad_VII

Vaapad_VII New Member

The law student in me must point out that it isn't robbery, which require theft from the person in a violent manner.

That being said, it is certainly some form of Theft (larceny or theft by false pretenses under common law). That being the case, why has no one taken legal action here? If people have paid over $1000 for merchandise and haven't received it, is legal action not appropriate? Or do people just consider it to be more trouble than its worth? Service of summons would certainly get his attention if emails and other forms of communication are not...

I do sincerely hope that people haven't been permenantly screwed out of their hard-earned money

~Dave