Jaynes JaynesTown Knife - Firefly

Guardian Devil

Sr Member
There's a great deal of threads for various items from Firefly and Serenity and from them a great deal of items have been found. I've been wondering if anyone's stumbled upon the style of Survival/Bowie/Hunting knife used by Jayne in the episode Jaynestown?

Jayneknife1.jpg
jayneknife2.jpg

Jaynesknife3.jpg
Jaynesknife4.jpg

The black squares look to have been painted on afterwards, but I've been searching for hours but have been unable to come across anything close enough for me to put this to rest

It's also possible that the knife is a custom job made from a heavy rasp (like a blacksmith's hoof rasp)---if the "ridges" weren't ground down completely, the pattern would be similar. Back in the day it was a common technique to use files/raps for blades since the maker would have a fairly good idea of the quality of steel.

Modern makers are still doing this to make "rustic" knives & (esp) Bowies.

I haven't found a match yet, but a lot of the props used on Joss's shows are found items. I found a lot of the weapons used on Buffy, and Angel.

During the summer months Atlanta Cutlery has Knife it's in there catalogs. They have a wide selection of blades to choose from, and you can either fabricate your own handle, or get the supplies to do it from them. I don't have a currant catalog, but they may have a similar blade in there. The Handle should be pretty easy to do. If the bade is just a little off, any good knife show should be willing to reshape it for you. I have a shop I go to that is always happy to grind, shape, buff, etc., any edged weapon for me. Of course the closer the knife your staring with is, and the more pics you have the better.

I'll keep looking, to see if the hole thing is a found object, though.

Jason

There are a few there, that are kind of similar, and they are pretty cool, but really pricey. If your going to go that round, just make your own. I was working on a project a year or to ago, and I was using my favorite metal rasp/file on it. I just kept, filing, and filing, for a few Hours, but every time I checked the piece I was working on, it had barley changed at all. I finally took a look at my rasp/file, and all the teeth, were worn almost completely off. :( Man, that thing belonged to my grandfather. That thing survived 50, or so years, and I killed it in a few hours. You could probably do this project in a day, or two. Especially if you have the right tools, and can find a large enough rasp. You could probably do it pretty cheep too.

Jason

As a hobby knifemaker, I can say with some confidence that the Jaynestown knife is a custom piece - and I'd bet money its made from a farriers rasp. It looks to me like the knife and sheath were made by the same guy - maybe its listed in the credits?

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back