Jayne's Gloves from Firefly

Originally posted by dr_slurpee@Mar 29 2006, 09:53 AM
I blieve someone had posted what they were at some point. If memory serves me they are some form of martial arts gloves, or kick boxing gloves, or something of that nature.
[snapback]1215525[/snapback]​

Yeah they're those fingerless lightweight padded MMA gloves that guys wear in UFC and the like.

Originally posted by Treadwell@Mar 29 2006, 03:27 PM
Sorry, what's MMA and UFC?
[snapback]1215629[/snapback]​
UFC is Ultimate Fighter Championship. MMA is prbably, something'er'other... Martial Arts.

Look on ebay for MMA gloves, martial arts gloves, or "grappling gloves." You'll see what they look like.

Do a search for leather work gloves on ebay showes several pair that look like the ones used on the series. Don't see the correct color combine but there is always dye. Cut out the fingers get a pot of dye and ya got em. If you find a pair with white stiching that doesn't take dye you got em.

Re: Jayne's Gloves from Firefly

I just bought a pair of THESE WORK GLOVES. A pair of Big Jake Leather Palm Gloves #WPL279 from New Pig.
Cut `em, bleach that logo off, dye `em and I think they might be right on the money. :)

I just bought a pair of THESE WORK GLOVES. A pair of Big Jake Leather Palm Gloves #WPL279 from New Pig.
Cut `em, bleach that logo off, dye `em and I think they might be right on the money. :)

Looking at the previous screencap, I think the piece with the logo is removed entirely, so you wouldn't need to worry about bleaching it.

Looking at the previous screencap, I think the piece with the logo is removed entirely, so you wouldn't need to worry about bleaching it.
the only part that's cut off is the trim around the edge of the cuff, so the logo would still be there. Those are good base gloves, but unfortunately I doubt that logo will come off, it's most likely silk screened on, or put on with heat or something...at best you could possibly get some of it off using heat, bleach won't do a thing to it though.

Well, I have a pair now.
I haven't even cut the fingers off yet, but the logo on one is smudged and I don't remember it being so when the pair arrived. Could be it'll come off easy, but I won't be able to try for a little bit yet.

the only part that's cut off is the trim around the edge of the cuff, so the logo would still be there. Those are good base gloves, but unfortunately I doubt that logo will come off, it's most likely silk screened on, or put on with heat or something...at best you could possibly get some of it off using heat, bleach won't do a thing to it though.

FINALLY messed with the gloves today.
Bleach won't even make these things WET, never mind WHITE.
Paint thinner has no measurable effect either.
Sandpaper (hey, I had to experiment) only blurred the logo.

So I looked back at the promo pics.
I REALLY think the costuming dept. took the gauntlets off the Jayne gloves, and sewed them back on inside out. I think we're looking at the inside kevlar lining there cuz they don't quite match the rest of the glove fabric.
They also trimmed them down a bit.

So, no bleaching; just dye them brown as best as each bit will take it, I guess.
More experimentation to come...

For those still wondering about the Serenity gloves, they're an older model of Harbinger "bag gloves". They're similar to the aforementioned MMA gloves, but MMA gloves don't have material on the palm.

They've changed the style since then (I think they're navy blue now), but Century still makes some black ones that are close. You need to take the logos off the wrist straps anyway.

Well, I'm still looking. Has anyone else seen anything close to these?

I mean, styles come, and go, and come back again. I know I have seen other work glove styles, and color schemes, come back into "fashion".

Well, I'm still looking. Has anyone else seen anything close to these?

I mean, styles come, and go, and come back again. I know I have seen other work glove styles, and color schemes, come back into "fashion".

I'm still quite certain that the Big Jake gloves I linked to above are the right ones. I now think, however, that the cuffs just had the fabric on top ripped off, and the edge scissored off.

Oops, I'm sorry I hadn't looked at this thread in a long time, and I hadn't seen those more recent posts.

Those do look good for the firefly gloves. I was really hoping it would be a little easier. I mean, I really didn't wan't to have to dye any part of them.

Looking at the pics on the previous page. (there aren't many left up, and the ones that are, are kind of small) It almost looks to me, like they just folded the cuff down. It would ger rid of the logo, it would make the cuf shorter, and it would be an easy explanation for way the material on the cuff in the pics. looks different then that on the rest of the gloves. I don't see anything that looks torn on the these little pics, but if on higher res versions, it does, it could still fight the fold down theory, it could just be either, real, or faked, weathering.

Either way, How do you dye the parts that need dyed, and what color/dye do you use? (i.e. do you have to take them apart, to dye them? could you use a spray dye? etc. And what color are they? I'm just a little color blind. )

Hey, it's cool, Jason. :)

Dying is easy; cutting the fingers right is a little tricky.
The gloves take the RIT dark brown we used at three different levels.
The cuffs ignore it,
The leather takes it a fair amount,
and the 'double leather' knuckle bit takes the dye doubly.

So basically, if you're careful, you should be able to get your gloves the right colors of brown without having the worry about exposure time for each section separately.

I tried folding the gauntlet section on a pair of these gloves already. It didn't end pretty.
It made it impossible to get my hand in. Besides that, you can see in the promo photos, Jayne's are single-ply. :)

Ok, so let me get this straight. I dont' have to cut them appart. (or separate the parts with a seem ripper.) I can leave the gloves in one piece. Put them in Dark brown" RIT Dye. and they will come out right? (other then having to cut down the figures, and some of the back end.)

Should I use the RIT as instructed on the package. (i.e. simmer on the stove, for around 20-25 minutes) Some leather can handle that, some really can't, So I just want to make sure before I try it. :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back