Jay Garrick Golden Age Flash Helmet (CW TV show Style)

SamTheFlash

So I'm making a reproduction of Jay Garrick's helmet as seen in the Flash season 1 finale. Bear in mind Im pretty new to prop/costume building, the only costume I have made before is a New 52 inspired flash costume for Manchester Comic Con 2014: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202600392106678&set=t.1103224700&type=3&theater

This is the actual helmet as displayed at comic-con:
The-Flash-season-2-2-600x800.jpg

For the helmet I have used a replica WW2 Tommy Helmet, which I will sand and spray reflective silver. Heres a link to the helmet. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231528551...49&var=530776011190&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

DSCF0501.jpg

The only difference with this helmet is the faux srew head on the very top. I may attempt sanding this down, or simply leave it as I don't think it makes much of a difference.

For the wings, I have had a designer produce me a 3D model of the wings, which are being 3D printed as we speak. Below are a couple of shots of the design, which is pretty spot on to the show's version. They are 9x19x0.8cm. One design identical on both sides will suffice for both wings.

WING IMAGES.jpg

To fix the wings (which will be spray painted reflective gold,) to the helmet, I was going to put a small screw through the helm into the base of the wing, combined with an industrial glue, however to save the amount of plastic, and therefore the overall cost of 3D printing the wings, the base has been hollowed leaving 2 holes, so I will have to think of another way to fix them together.

Now to wait until the wings are printed and delivered. Heres hoping they come out alright!

Attachments

• DSCF0501.jpg
    DSCF0501.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 352
Progress coming along nicely. Ive had the 3D printed wings which look awesome, but were in a good need of sanding. The helmet has been sanded too, to the point that the faux screw in the top is now gone and Ive used a quick drying filler to seal up the holes where the strap was attached to the helmet, everything has been spray painted their first coat. I'll add a couple more coats and a clear sealer and then I plan to use araldite to fix the wings to the hat.

11947661_10205181448071464_3094403899459811421_n.jpg

IMG_20150901_105833.jpg

IMG_20150901_110357.jpg

Nice! This is such a cool little project that I ordered one of those helmets to do a little build myself. Thanks for sharing.

Awesome, I literally was just working on trying to get a 3D design for the wings, are yours for sale or would you be willing to share the model for a one-time print. I've had my helmet chromed for years now and never got around to the wings.
Damn that is amazing looking, wow...i'm in awe of your work.

Yeah the wings is the only thing that's really holding me back from this helmet. I tried shapeways but i couldn't find anyhing.

could you also share the wings withe me for a one time print i would be so happy because in my high school the have a 3d printer i could use its awsome already ordered the helmet :) :) also if you do not feel comfortable sharing the deign on the tread you can email it to me

I'm working on a helmet too, but I'm trying to figure out why the comic-con version's wings are so different from the official pic that was tweeted out...

The-Flash-season-2-New-posters.jpg

This looks great man. I'm getting a little more than excited for Season 2 thats quickly approaching finally.

Might have a go at designing and printing the wings myself, as I've wanted to since the Season 1 finale, just havent got around to it! great helmet find! Unless you were planning on a run of the wings SamTheFlash I might offer them for a short run, if people are interested of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone know were i can get the helmet cause the one he suggested in Canadian is approx 30$ and as im not trying to spend much i would like to know about any other helmets out there for relatively low cost thanks:)

So fixing the wings to the helmet proved more difficult than expected. In the end I used a screw from underneath, as well as araldite to fix to the helmet. I decided to have the wings angle outwards slightly, to be a little more reminiscent of the helmet as seen in Smallville, as I wasn't as keen on the straight up wings as seen in the recent promo image. It wasn't the cleanest of fixings, but I am very new to this kind of stuff. I retouched a couple of areas with a brush and used bicycle helmet pads on the inside, making the helmet very wearable.

DSCF0522.jpg

I ordered a display stand, and a metal plaque for display.

DSCF0520.jpgDSCF0521.jpgDSCF0525.jpg

I am very happy with the outcome.

Well, I got some catching up to do on the Flash. Though may not be much since I know the comics and characters closely. As for this.prop, I also am new to prop making. And just maybe this might be a good prop to make. Hopefully this thread isn't dead. I was wondering what materials the wings could be made out of?

Well, I got some catching up to do on the Flash. Though may not be much since I know the comics and characters closely. As for this.prop, I also am new to prop making. And just maybe this might be a good prop to make. Hopefully this thread isn't dead. I was wondering what materials the wings could be made out of?

I'll second this one. I was thinking layered foam pieces to build the wings out, but not sure how that would work.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back