JAWS: "You're certifiable, Quint!" Replica Yellow Barrel project

ConvergencePro

Master Member
Hey all, I'm pretty sure I've probably lost my mind, so I figure I'll start to document it here. :lol:

Being that Jaws is side by side Empire Strikes Back as my favorite film of all time, I've always wanted at least 3 of the yellow barrels in my collection.
A few years ago I was lucky enough to take a ride out to Marthas Vineyard and meet with Lynn & Susan Murphy to purchase a original production used DOT 34-30 "BORN FREE" JAWS barrel as well as talk with them about their experiences working on the film. The barrels Lynn & Susan had were used to help float various barges, act as flotation on the shark arm gantry, and are the same ones that were painted yellow and used in the film. The barrels were seemingly only made in December of 73 before being changed over to a different design, so relativity few were made (though they do actually appear in the dog kennel scene in John Carpenters: The THING as well) . It was fantastic sitting and talking with them both and I'd always intended to go back out to the island and visit them again if I could gather the spare funds for another couple barrels.
Here's the one I have along with some production photos showing them

rsz_1img_2610.jpg rsz_img_2611.jpg rsz_img_2612.jpg rsz_img_2613.jpg
rsz_img_2618.jpg rsz_inkedimg_2616_li.jpg rsz_inkedimg_2617_li.jpg

Sadly, due to real life, that plan just sorta never happened.. Lynn has since passed away in 2017, and last I heard Susan had recently sold the remaining few barrels she had. So getting a hold of any more original barrels now and in the future looks to be much more difficult prospect.
I always still wanted to paint and do the rope on the one barrel I still have but there's always been once small thing that stopped me from doing so...
rsz_img_2614.jpg
The barrel I have actually seems to have some residual over-spray of the original Yellow paint on it from when they painted the other barrels for use on the ORCA. I've always liked this a really cool little feature and never wanted to risk damaging it by painting over it or anything, so now I'm pretty much left with one real option if I want actual yellow painted barrels, making copies of this one:D
My thoughts are to make a giant 2-3 part rotocast mold and do copies in Smooth-on's ONYX EpoxAcast BLACK to make hollow copies. I gotta hit up the local supplier to see what material they think would be best suited and most durable with something this big. Worse case scenario I may have to foam fill them if the resin is too fragile on its own. Then cast the caps separate and do them in a mix of blue and red colored resin like the originals. I think I have a pretty good plan laid out in my head for it, but this will still be By Far the biggest mold I've ever had to make hahaha.
More soon!

Yeah, its kinda strange they're so freaking hard to find just because of that. As far as I know, the Murphys have been the only real known source for these exact type of barrels over the years. I imagine Universal probably has a crap load of them in storage somewhere for production use though.

Cool.However there is a guy on Facebook who is making copies of them and is doing them with a steel mold with plastic blown in the mold,like they were originally done.He is having a factory do it for him from my understanding.So you may wanna save yourself the molding headache.However if this guy doesnt follow through,then Id be up for buying a couple castings from you,if you wanna sell.I used to have several of these and am the guy who helped Susan sell off her barrels.Very nice gal..
BTW:Im not sure what condition your caps are in,but I have a mold I made from one of my caps from years ago and it is perfect..So if that other guy dont make his barrel copies for whatever reason,I could lone you my cap mold if you need it.

Last edited:
Cool.However there is a guy on Facebook who is making copies of them and is doing them with a steel mold with plastic blown in the mold,like they were originally done.He is having a factory do it for him from my understanding.So you may wanna save yourself the molding headache.However if this guy doesnt follow through,then Id be up for buying a couple castings from you,if you wanna sell.I used to have several of these and am the guy who helped Susan sell off her barrels.Very nice gal..
BTW:Im not sure what condition your caps are in,but I have a mold I made from one of my caps from years ago and it is perfect..So if that other guy dont make his barrel copies for whatever reason,I could lone you my cap mold if you need it.

Link?

Sean

So this will devalue the originals, including the two I bought from Susan and Lynn
Just what we needed.
I figured it was only a matter of time before some jagoff got his hands on an original.

Last edited:
So this will devalue the originals, including the two I bought from Susan and Lynn
Just what we needed.
I figured it was only a matter of time before some jagoff got his hands on an original.

Lots of "jagoffs" as you call them,have originals.There was somewhere in the neighborhood of 75-100 used during filming.The ones that this gentlemen is producing will not effect the price of the originals,as they are not production used.The ONLY value in these barrels is the fact that they were used during the movies production and have a COA to prove it.These reproductions wont have removable caps,nor will they have a COA and they were not used for the film.So their value will be that of any reproduction vs original.Look at all the Darth Vader helmet reproductions for example..Lots of them out there from private makers who used screen molds as their origins,to big companies who mass produce them.They dont diminish the value of an original and nor will these barrels..They just offer fans who could NOT afford an original ,a chance to own a cool replica prop,just like any other replica prop out there

Don’t sweat it bro, but you perfectly illustrated the differences for those tools who can not read :rolleyes:

Lots of "jagoffs" as you call them,have originals.There was somewhere in the neighborhood of 75-100 used during filming.The ones that this gentlemen is producing will not effect the price of the originals,as they are not production used.The ONLY value in these barrels is the fact that they were used during the movies production and have a COA to prove it.These reproductions wont have removable caps,nor will they have a COA and they were not used for the film.So their value will be that of any reproduction vs original.Look at all the Darth Vader helmet reproductions for example..Lots of them out there from private makers who used screen molds as their origins,to big companies who mass produce them.They dont diminish the value of an original and nor will these barrels..They just offer fans who could NOT afford an original ,a chance to own a cool replica prop,just like any other replica prop out there

I may still push forward with mine as I like the thought of them having removable caps like my original. Gotta do some more drawingboard work on the mold design before I do since its so damn big

I may still push forward with mine as I like the thought of them having removable caps like my original. Gotta do some more drawingboard work on the mold design before I do since its so damn big
Go for it.The more, the better and chances are darn good,Ill be a customer for both of you..As mentioned above in my previous post,I have a mold for a perfect cap I could lone you,if yours are less than perfect.I took the mold off the first barrel I bought and later regretfully sold. :(

Hey all, I'm pretty sure I've probably lost my mind, so I figure I'll start to document it here. :lol:

Being that Jaws is side by side Empire Strikes Back as my favorite film of all time, I've always wanted at least 3 of the yellow barrels in my collection.
A few years ago I was lucky enough to take a ride out to Marthas Vineyard and meet with Lynn & Susan Murphy to purchase a original production used DOT 34-30 "BORN FREE" JAWS barrel as well as talk with them about their experiences working on the film. The barrels Lynn & Susan had were used to help float various barges, act as flotation on the shark arm gantry, and are the same ones that were painted yellow and used in the film. The barrels were seemingly only made in December of 73 before being changed over to a different design, so relativity few were made (though they do actually appear in the dog kennel scene in John Carpenters: The THING as well) . It was fantastic sitting and talking with them both and I'd always intended to go back out to the island and visit them again if I could gather the spare funds for another couple barrels.

View attachment 1013264 View attachment 1013265 View attachment 1013266 View attachment 1013267
View attachment 1013275 View attachment 1013276 View attachment 1013277

Sadly, due to real life, that plan just sorta never happened.. Lynn has since passed away in 2017, and last I heard Susan had recently sold the remaining few barrels she had. So getting a hold of any more original barrels now and in the future looks to be much more difficult prospect.
I always still wanted to paint and do the rope on the one barrel I still have but there's always been once small thing that stopped me from doing so...
View attachment 1013269
The barrel I have actually seems to have some residual over-spray of the original Yellow paint on it from when they painted the other barrels for use on the ORCA. I've always liked this a really cool little feature and never wanted to risk damaging it by painting over it or anything, so now I'm pretty much left with one real option if I want actual yellow painted barrels, making copies of this one:D
My thoughts are to make a giant 2-3 part rotocast mold and do copies in Smooth-on's ONYX EpoxAcast BLACK to make hollow copies. I gotta hit up the local supplier to see what material they think would be best suited and most durable with something this big. Worse case scenario I may have to foam fill them if the resin is too fragile on its own. Then cast the caps separate and do them in a mix of blue and red colored resin like the originals. I think I have a pretty good plan laid out in my head for it, but this will still be By Far the biggest mold I've ever had to make hahaha.
More soon!
Have you made molds? I’m looking at 3D printing with a small scale model to print to scale. It will cost a fortune but what choices do we have?

View attachment 1013264 View attachment 1013265 View attachment 1013266 View attachment 1013267
View attachment 1013275 View attachment 1013276 View attachment 1013277

View attachment 1013269
More soon!
Did you ever get these made?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back