Jaws Yellow Barrels

norm-4718364bb8359-Jaws+%281975%29.jpeg

I would image they where not originally yellow...black maybe

After all these 38 years I never saw the "screw on caps" on the real Jaws Barrels...Wow!!!
Makes me want to make one of these to throw in the back of the Blazer

As a 50th birthday present to myself, I got one of these. It came au natural, black with blue caps, so am in the process of yellowing her up.
Indicentally, I was watching my Blu Ray of THE THING, and these barrels are along the corridors, especially leading to the dog pen, but painted drab olive.
Good to know they were in two of my favourite monster movies!

Here is my barrel. I bought it a few years ago from Susan and Lynn Murphy. They run a business in Martha's Vineyard, and they were hired as marine transportation on the original film. I guess they still have a few of these left over from the barge that was built for Bruce. The barrel is in really good shape, however the blue caps were sun beaten and cracked. As they were ready to crumble I did a two part mold and remade a set for myself. I passed a few sets along to the Murphy's, and they are available to anyone else who would like them. This was a much sought after prop, ever since I was 6 years old. I have never seen this prop in real life anywhere but on the Orca at Universal Studios in the 1980s (and in my den). It has a DOT code and an inscription on the bottom that says 'Born Free'. I also believe it was featured in one of the Police Academy movies, the one where Tackleberry gets married to Coleen Camp. The barrels are tied to the back of the Bigfoot truck in which the couple is driving away.

jaws_barrel.jpgbarrel_caps_top.jpgbarrel_caps_bottom.jpg

I'm bumping this just about 1 year later because I'm on the hunt for one of those original barrels / Black or already painted yellow with the "Born Free" on the bottom. I really want one of the originals badly !!! I've contacted that user on the AVS Forum in hopes that he can lend a hand. Any ways perhaps someone on the RPF can help out ? I also posted an ad in the Want To Buy section. Please PM me if your able to help out in my barrel hunt !

I'm very happy to report that I have been in contact with Susan Murphy and have sent payment for a Jaws Barrel !!! Certainly wasn't cheap but to me I had to have this item from one of my favorite most iconic films of all times. I was told it will be black so I will need to give it the yellow treatment. I've also seen other people place the trackers on them, with the rope etc, any tips on the conversion / getting all the sources would be great. Also Susan said she would provide me with a COA and sign the bottom of the barrel. She also signified that she has only 18 remaining, and if any one is interested now is the time to act. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back