JAWS the shark named Bruce.

Well, here's the junkyard - not sure that I can spot Bruce though:

junkyard4gu.jpg

***** ****** - LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT LADDER!!!!!!:eek :eek:eek

It's a real sad story when it comes to the iconic pieces from JAWS. :cry

What's funny is that I see a lot of fans angry at Universal 'cos they let the ORCA rot away... lost track of the original Bruce/s. And while that's true, it wasn't Universal that let the ORCA II rot away on the beaches of "Amity". :( At least the ORCA was being used at USH (hey, even the 'berg used to sneak down and eat his lunch on it). But the ORCA II just sat on a beach for 30 years, rotting away (and being "salvaged" by fans ;) :p). But I'm glad the people that are guilty of the latter saved a few pieces, though [such as a whole lot of those barrels, estuary fin, Quint's reel and "fighting chair"]. :)

Here's hoping that they get Bruce -- well, Bruce's poor inbred cousin, anyway -- back from the junkyard. :thumbsup

Here's hoping that they get Bruce -- well, Bruce's poor inbred cousin, anyway -- back from the junkyard. :thumbsup

I kinda like the idea of fibreglass Brucey staying where he is!

Perhaps Universal will allow him to stay on perminant loan somehow? Ironically he's probably safer in that junkyard where at least someone's making sure he isn't chopped into bits and scrapped..

I kinda like the idea of fibreglass Brucey staying where he is!

Perhaps Universal will allow him to stay on perminant loan somehow? Ironically he's probably safer in that junkyard where at least someone's making sure he isn't chopped into bits and scrapped..

I'm pretty sure if Greg Nicotero form KNB was wanting to purchase it, it is in NO danger of being chopped up. What most concerns fans is the fact that it's NOT being taken care of. It's as much an iconic piece as any ship, prop or costume from Star Wars and it's weathering away in a junkyard. You can clearly see in the pic it's in pretty bad shape. I for one would love to see it restored to hhis former glory and displayed as he should be.

-B89! :D

Absolutely. JY Bruce is the last surviving link to Bruce. Should it fall foul of the elements or suffer some sort of mishap, the last casting of this iconic movie shark would be gone for good.

In fairness, if the current owners story is accurate, he's done us all a favour in the first place, by rescuing the shark from the Universal sledgehammer, so we owe him our thanks for that.

However, I believe that the shark should be fully restored and displayed in a movie museum..perhaps the Smithsonian, as an iconic part of cultural history - just like the Kermit puppet, the 'Alien' egg, the Indy jacket (and so on) they already have....

Sadly, this is all just wishful thinking on my part as I can't see that happening anytime soon!

What shark was on display years and years ago during that touring movie magic exhibit. Every few minutes, the motion control would activate and animate the shark. The label on the display listed it as Bruce if I remember correctly. It was the same touring exhibit that had the Queen Alien, Power Loader, a Blade Runner car, the Winnebago from Spaceballs, etc.

I've heard that the shark in Finding Nemo (named Bruce) wasn't named after the shark in Jaws, but I'm not buying it at all. Seems too much of a coincidence.

Last edited:
I've heard that the shark in Finding Nemo (named Bruce) wasn't named after the shark in Jaws, but I'm not buying it at all. Seems too much of a coincidence.

I'm sure the irony of using the name from JAWS didn't escape the PIXAR development team, but the cartoons name was almost certainly derived more from the fact that an Aussie male is generally referred to as "Bruce" the world over (Like "Sheila" for a woman). Since the White in Nemo was an Aussie he also got the Aussie name....

Sing it with me.

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
who was very rarely stable.
Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
who could think you under the table.
David Hume could out consume
Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel,
And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
who was just as sloshed as Schlegel.

There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach ya
'bout the raisin' of the wrist.
Socrates himself was permanently pissed.

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will,
after half a pint of shandy was particularly ill.
Plato, they say, could stick it away,
'alf a crate of whiskey every day!
Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle,
and Hobbes was fond of his Dram.
And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart:
"I drink, therefore I am."

Yes, Socrates himself is particularly missed;
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed.

Yeah, Greg is a HUGE fan of JAWS. There's no way he'd do anything but save it from destruction. I can only imagine what he and his shop would do to it, in terms of restoration. Fingers crossed that Universal knows of his efforts to save Bruce, then hand it over to him... if they get him back.

Bruce -- to me, anyway -- is way more iconic than anything from STAR WARS. :)

I'm pretty sure if Greg Nicotero form KNB was wanting to purchase it, it is in NO danger of being chopped up. What most concerns fans is the fact that it's NOT being taken care of. It's as much an iconic piece as any ship, prop or costume from Star Wars and it's weathering away in a junkyard. You can clearly see in the pic it's in pretty bad shape. I for one would love to see it restored to hhis former glory and displayed as he should be.

Yeah, Greg is a HUGE fan of JAWS. There's no way he'd do anything but save it from destruction. I can only imagine what he and his shop would do to it, in terms of restoration. Fingers crossed that Universal knows of his efforts to save Bruce, then hand it over to him... if they get him back.

Bruce -- to me, anyway -- is way more iconic than anything from STAR WARS. :)

You guys make a good point, I've never heard of Greg but he sounds like the guy to bring Bruce back to his former glory. I hope that's just paint peeling off the junkyard cast?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back