Jawa Sandcrawler based on german tank model ???

Muddler

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi everyone!

I don't know if this has been discussed anywhere before (or if it's of any interest at all...), but I'd like to share a weird theory I just got.
While visiting a military exhibition, one model of a WW1 tank-model caught my eye and just looked awkwardly familiar:

MengTank_15.jpg
Mephisto_03.jpg

The main body basically looks like the general shape of the sandcrawler turned upside down!
Especially the triangular-shaped front-part and the size-ratio of the tracks to the body do quite catch the eye.

Sandcrawlerside.jpeg

While the "evolution" of the sandcrawler - from the Cantwell-model over McQuarries concept art to the final model - is quite well documented, there might still be some blank spots.

The published concept-drawings had the crawler rather long and flat:

5115faf223fdda1d7f9d13553e4280d0.jpg

Even when Joe Johnston reworked the McQuarrie-design to make it look "...more awkward and rustier, kind of clumsy-looking...", it still looked a bit longer and flatter than the final design:

jjredesign.jpeg

So here's the theory:

After the model-makers got Johnston's latest drawings, they did the usual kit-bashing to create a smaller model to start from. Because the main parts of the A7V-tank fit quite well, they used that as a basis, resulting in a more stocky appearance.

The final RC-controlled model used for filming was a scratch-build of course, but I still think there might be a chance, that the final design has been influenced by the shape of the existing tank model-kit.

I know, this might all just be a coincidence. Still I'd be interested to hear your opinions on that - or even have a talented modeller bashing an A7V-model to build a sandcrawler... ;)

Neat theory.. I don't see any evidence of the kit bashing being done with this tank kit but im sure that some amount of inspiration, at least for the shape, could have been used to make this thing become a reality.

It is interesting how the detail that covers the wheels from the side does resemble what we see on the Sandcrawler. As far as I know, however, the design for the tracks was inspired by the crawler built by NASA to transport the Saturn V from the VAB out to the pad. The actual studio miniature had custom-made tracks built using parts from 4 separate Tamiya 1/16 Sherman model kits. The bogies, drive sprockets, and metal track parts were used while the rest was machined from scratch. The body was made from scratch.

I would not be surprised. Heck after all George Lucas named the planet Tatooine after a place in the country of Tunisia (North Africa) named Tataouine only a few hours away from Luke Skywalkers home in Matmata Tunisia.

Talking to Lorne about this and that and one time he did mention this tank once as part of the inspiration, so you are partially correct!

Wow! That's amazing to hear!
Now I'm really tempted to grab one of those model-kits and try to assemble some sort of mock-up sandcrawler!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back