Jawa - Ion Rifle

Irongladiator

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello Fellow RPF'ers!
This is officially my very first post! I've been a member of The Dented Helmet since November of 2019. And began my year long journey of going after my very first Boba Fett ROTJ build. After doing a bit of research, I was told and read in multiple places that taking on a Boba Fett build is one of the (if not thee) most grueling builds that one can take on in the Star Wars universe! But I was up to the challenge and did it, and in a years time to boot! If your interested in my ROTJ Boba Build here is the link Iron's ROTJ WIP. It is incredibly picture heavy and detailed - and at the time of this writing has been viewed by 16k folks. I then read on TDH that if you wanna get rid of those annoying ad's on the forum that you should obtain a Premium Membership here on The RPF. Thus, here I am. I browsed around a bit without posting once and was absolutely amazed at what I saw. The sheer dedication of most in getting that true screen accuracy. Honestly, it is awe-inspiring!

But enough on me. I just wanted to share my Jawa Ion Rifle build that I've done. I'm building my first static prop and this is one of the accessories. I'm sure not up to par by most, but still I'm proud of what I've been able to accomplish. It first started with a TDH member who graciously gifted me the raw parts, assembled them and shipped it to me.

(Photo Credit to Lazerjock of TDH)
Parts Used.jpg

(Photo Credit to Lazerjock of TDH)
Jawa Blaster.jpg

This was not meant to be screen accurate by any means, but I think when you compare that to the 501st's rendition of the Ion Rifle, it looks pretty close.
(CRL Photo Credit to the 501st)
ROTJ - Jawa - Ion Rifle - 501st CRL.jpg

I did end up giving Lazerjock a hard time for priming the stock as I wanted to stain it. But after about 45 mins of sanding I had a clean slate again!
Sanded Stock.jpg

I then gave the stock a nice coat of Home Depot's Varathane Provincial & Varathane Sealer...
Stained Stock - Pic 1.jpg

You may have also noticed that the barrel part broke off and this was due to it being held together with hot glue. I had some 2" PVC, got out my Ryobi hobby sander and created a reinforcement piece...
Reinforced Barrel.jpg

I wasn't too concerned about the PVC peeking from the inside of the barrel as I ordered a little blue plasma lighting disc to emulate the Ion Energy inside the barrel.
Blue Plasma Disc - Pic 1.jpg

I then gave the barrel some heavy scratching to show significant wear on the Ion Rifle and to show that this Jawa had been through some stuff. I then gave it another coat of primer and then hit the blaster with some airbrushed Vallejo Model Color "Natural Steel" (70.864) and then misted on some black soot with Vallejo's Model Color "Black" (70.950)...
Jawa - Ion Rifle - Pic 1.jpg

After this I then had to come up with a way to do the rusting effects. Now.....this is the part that totally scares me cause I'm horrible at doing this. I don't even wanna show you my EE-3. So I first YouTube'd "Cosplay - Effective Rusting Techniques with Paint". And then stumbled across this video....

I was pretty impressed with how this looked, so I decided to give it a whirl. Once the materials were gathered I gave it a go! Here are the materials I used (Not pictured here is a cheapy spray bottle)
Rust Mix.jpg

And here is what came out of it - Kinda hard to beat REAL rust huh?
Jawa - ION Rifle - Finished with Rust - Pic 1.jpg

Jawa - ION Rifle - Finished with Rust - Pic 2.jpg

I sealed it up with a Matte Enamel Sealer and sprayed the inside of the barrel with a gloss sealer (To better reflect that Ion Energy Disc in the barrel) Again, I was pretty proud with how this turned out and it looks great on my Jawa (the Jawa - is not quite finished yet)!
Iron's Jawa.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this! And I hope this is the first of many posts here on The RPF! I'm looking forward to some great conversations while I'm here.
1632598675228.png
1632598680602.png

Cheers,
-Iron

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back