Jason Voorhees Mask

welshwarrior123

Hey guys,
Havent really posted any projects recently, But I have a University interview for a special effects course and my portfolio is a little sparse on props an stuff. So looking for something quick to put together, and it being Friday the 13th at the time, Freddy vs Jason was on (yes its old but I was never really a fan). Now im not going to talk about the film :sick, but I thought that Jason looked pretty cool. So why not...

I did a common n00b mistake and dove in buying the first mask I saw on Ebay, later then did I find out about the fright stuff masks. So arrived my cheap Halloween plastic mask (that the seller claimed to be cast from the original) complete with made in china branding. Yeah cast:lol

DSCF2856.jpg

DSCF2860.jpg

I knew it was not going to be accurate, but as long as it looks the part I didnt really mind. So firstly I removed the straps and went about removing the extra snaps on the side of the mask.

DSCF2863.jpg

DSCF2864.jpg

So with them removed, I went about hitting the mask with some 60grit, focusing on the eyes. I also altered some of the holes to match a few Reference photos I was using. Then threw some primer on it.

DSCF2867.jpg

DSCF2868.jpg

DSCF2869.jpg

I then hit it with with some spray paint and airbrushed the red triangles on.

DSCF2874.jpg

DSCF2875.jpg

So using a reference photo (not trying to be really accurate), I started with a base layer of weathering. Using some brown/tan acrylic paint and rubbing it off with a paper towel.

DSCF2876.jpg

DSCF2878.jpg

DSCF2879.jpg

After that I then went at it with various greys and blues, followed heavily by black. I went quite heavy on the right eye as I want to get a prosthetic eye and felt the extra damage would go well with it. I then added a clear coat and...

DSCF2884.jpg

DSCF2886.jpg

DSCF2889.jpg

DSCF2891.jpg

DSCF2892.jpg

All that was done in a morning, which I felt was pretty good. My intention was just to do the mask, but in person this thing is kinda freaky and I think a full Jason costume would be a great addition to my portfolio. I think im going to go ahead and get a Frightsuff mask and do a more accurate version, and may even go the full hog and do the entire suit. From what I can see apart from the burlap jacket everything else is pretty much easy to match/replicate.

So what do you guys think for a mornings work?

Welsh

I dig it. Good job and well done on the time. This will look great in your portfolio. Thanks for sharing. Now you just need a prop machete to go with it :lol

Nice work !!

I did the same thing several years ago for my neighbour's son halloween costume, pretty fast to do and really enjoying !!

Not accurate but it was not the purpose...

Thanks guys,

Same with mine mate, yours looks great. I know what you mean, it was quite fun just slapping paint on and wiping it off. No pressure or worries about messing up. Although I think I will get another mask and do a accurate airbrush job on one. It is a pretty iconic prop.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back