James Webb Space Telescope launch is rescheduled again

What is cool down? Where can I read more about this

Webb team keeps a blog here, they discuss if you scroll down a bit...

Bit on how temperatures work in space....
"Quick heat transfer requires contact or air, both lacking in space. As a result objects cool very slowly through the much slower mechanism of thermal radiation."

Webb team keeps a blog here, they discuss if you scroll down a bit...

Bit on how temperatures work in space....
"Quick heat transfer requires contact or air, both lacking in space. As a result objects cool very slowly through the much slower mechanism of thermal radiation."
That makes total sense…

1F3BEFF0-941E-4E3C-A058-4FE35AB39D50.jpeg

Things are getting good!!!

Being NASA stuff, going to post here instead of make a whole new thread.
But I saw that Eugene Parker, who figured out that the sun emits solar wind and got to watch in 2018 the rocket takeoff with the probe in his name that flew close to the sun. He just died yesterday (March 17th) at 94. Oddly, my Grandma died now 7 years ago on March 17...and my Grandpa's birthday is now today and he is 94.

The livestream was a disaster, but the release images and data are utterly jaw dropping. Detecting water on a planet over 1,000 light years away!

View attachment 1597221

The ability to survey atmospheric composition of exoplanets is going to be a game changer.

I feel like this is going to open our eyes to things we wouldn’t have imagined just a generation ago.

That picture that Gimpdiggity posted blows my mind. It's not the prettiest of all the pictures but what looks like a bunch of stars are galaxies...galaxies! Incredible!
Being a complete idiot when it comes to actual science, I’m just wondering if the ‘space’ between the seemingly innumerable galaxies shown in these incredibly detailed photographs, is what is referred to as ‘dark matter’ , and if not, then where does dark matter exist, and why’re the galaxies so distinct from each other ?

Being a complete idiot when it comes to actual science, I’m just wondering if the ‘space’ between the seemingly innumerable galaxies shown in these incredibly detailed photographs, is what is referred to as ‘dark matter’ , and if not, then where does dark matter exist, and why’re the galaxies so distinct from each other ?

More than likely it is not dark matter. Current estimates are that about 80% of so of the matter in the universe is dark matter, but we have yet to actually observe it.

That space between the galaxies is…well…space!! Vast, empty (mostly) space. I believe the technical term is “intergalactic space.”

As for why galaxies are so distinct from one another…gravity. They start as clouds of dust and maybe a rogue star here and there, but then gravity kicks in and forms basically everything that we see…the stars, the planets…everything.

The constant expansion of the universe causes the galaxies to move, which I’m guessing is what stops all of them from just slamming into each other. If the universe were contracting, the galaxies would all be moving inward and end up getting balled into one. This is actually part of a hypothesis called the Big Crunch, where the expansion of the universe ends, then it begins contracting, ultimately to a tiny ball and possibly another Big Bang.

As for where dark matter exists…we aren’t exactly sure. In fact, we aren’t entirely sure it does exist, but we assume that it does because of the way galaxies act. Basically, the way that gravitational forces exist in the universe are stronger than the visible matter should allow. So, if there is something else impacting the way the gravity works, then there has to be a form of matter that we don’t understand yet. That is dark matter. There are several ideas as to what it could actually be, but until we are able to observe it, we don’t really have any idea.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back